Borisbikers - are they 'cyclists'?

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
As I sat at a red light last night and watched 3 borisbikers wobble straight through a light and a junction, and surprisingly not 1 'cyclist' (it wasn't a wise move), it got me wondering. We all like to lambast the RLJ hooligans on this forum - giving cyclists a bad name etc. But do Borisbikers count as 'cyclists' in your eyes? I know they're on bikes, but clearly they're inexperienced at this game and so won't necessarily know the etiquette and safety norms that regular longer distance riders will have.

So do we count them as 'cyclists' and get upset when they do naughty things?

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    When you think about it, like, really think about it, we're all just like people man.

[/hippy]
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    If their on the road in whatever transport they should obey the laws of the road.

If they are on a bike at the time then they are cyclists
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    If the operator of a car jumps a red light, are they a driver?

The OP has posted a stupid question. A question so stupid that I think they may be a closet American.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited November 2012
    A tree fell in the middle of the forest. I wasnt anywhere near it, but it made a sound - it did.

Does that answer the question?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ahha - sorry yes in hindsight it wasn't the most incisive question. I suppose what I was getting at is, should one be as wound up by Borisbike RLJs as normal bike RLJs. I'll climb back in my box now.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    A tree fell in the middle of the forest. I wasnt anywhere near it, but it made a sound - it did.

The real question is, had it fallen on a bike, would that tree be a cyclist?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigLights wrote:
    ahha - sorry yes in hindsight it wasn't the most incisive question. I suppose what I was getting at is, should one be as wound up by Borisbike RLJs as normal bike RLJs. I'll climb back in my box now.

Another stupid question!
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    snobbery :p
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    If you ride a bike, you're cycling, you're a cyclist.

If you run a red light on a bike, that doesn't mean other people who ride bikes should share the responsibility for your behaviour.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Okay so a fella is using a Boris Bike to get to work. In that instance he's a cyclist - by the very definition.

What about the youth on the BSO, riding to his mate's house - headphones on, one handed and beer in the other hand? He's a cyclist too, but I bet plenty on here can't wait to say he's not a cyclist. He's not one of us, right?

We can't have it both ways. So for me:

1. I am a cyclist - I know my bike is the best way to get around London and I'll spend 3 or 4 hours every Saturday and Sunday cycling to nowhere in particular simply for the love of it.

2. A bloke riding a Boris Bike to work might be a cyclist (i.e. he shares the same values as me), but otherwise he's just a bloke on a bike. Like the youth going to his mates.

I'm sticking with 1 and 2, even if it does sound snobbish. But at least I don't need to obscure that paradigm to suit the scenario.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notsoblue
    So a cyclist is someone who shares a set of values with others who identify as the same??
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Okay so a fella is using a Boris Bike to get to work. In that instance he's a cyclist - by the very definition.

What about the youth on the BSO, riding to his mate's house - headphones on, one handed and beer in the other hand? He's a cyclist too, but I bet plenty on here can't wait to say he's not a cyclist. He's not one of us, right?

We can't have it both ways. So for me:

1. I am a cyclist - I know my bike is the best way to get around London and I'll spend 3 or 4 hours every Saturday and Sunday cycling to nowhere in particular simply for the love of it.

2. A bloke riding a Boris Bike to work might be a cyclist (i.e. he shares the same values as me), but otherwise he's just a bloke on a bike. Like the youth going to his mates.

I'm sticking with 1 and 2, even if it does sound snobbish. But at least I don't need to obscure that paradigm to suit the scenario.

I guess some people need to see the "us" and "them" in any given situation. Whereas for others, its just a question of fact. Somebody cycling is a cyclist.
  • Is someone taking a photo on a phone a photographer?
    Playing football in the park a footballer?

I kinda understand the question (I think)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Ben6899
    Okay.

1. Plenty of times on these forums, 'we' have been 'collectively' angry that a newspaper article tries to paint 'cyclists' in a bad light by citing a biased cross section of anecdotes and occurences. Am I right?

2. In those instances, there is inevitably a general concensus that those anecdotes and occurences probably refer to "some chav on a BSO" or similar. So us lot on here (and folk like us who might not bother with cycling forums) - not chavs on BSOs - cannot be painted with whichever brush the newspaper happens to be brandishing.

We can't have it both ways. We can't distance ourselves from chavs on BSOs and wobbly nodders on BBs in one breath - to say rubbish a newspaper's article about a 'cyclist' doing something stupid - and embrace anyone on a bike as a 'cyclist' in the next breath.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    BigMat wrote:
    I guess some people need to see the "us" and "them" in any given situation. Whereas for others, its just a question of fact. Somebody cycling is a cyclist.

Yes, plenty of folk on here in fact. However, some recognise they have that need and stick by it.
    Ben

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc, however in reality, the word cyclist includes anyone on a bike including Boris bikers and, as someone mentioned above, some youth on a BSO talking on the phone zig zagging up the pavement...

This is why I find it ridiculous that journalists and some pedestrians, motorists and other road users try to categorise us all as "cyclists" who "all" RLJ and "all" ride dangerously when in fact the "cyclist" encompasses anyone on a bike and most of those people have nothing in common in the way they behave than any other. It's like trying to say "all" pedestrians cross the road without looking and "all" motorists speed and talk on the phone whilst driving...

So in answer, yes, Boris bikers are cyclists but I don't necessarily feel any affinity with them simply because of what they have between their legs...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ben6899
    I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc, however in reality, the word cyclist includes anyone on a bike including Boris bikers and, as someone mentioned above, some youth on a BSO talking on the phone zig zagging up the pavement...

This is why I find it ridiculous that journalists and some pedestrians, motorists and other road users try to categorise us all as "cyclists" who "all" RLJ and "all" ride dangerously when in fact the "cyclist" encompasses anyone on a bike and most of those people have nothing in common in the way they behave than any other. It's like trying to say "all" pedestrians cross the road without looking and "all" motorists speed and talk on the phone whilst driving...

So in answer, yes, Boris bikers are cyclists but I don't necessarily feel any affinity with them simply because of what they have between their legs...

I think we're on the same wavelength, but maybe a different phase. :)
    Ben

• Ben6899 wrote:
    Okay.

1. Plenty of times on these forums, 'we' have been 'collectively' angry that a newspaper article tries to paint 'cyclists' in a bad light by citing a biased cross section of anecdotes and occurences. Am I right?

2. In those instances, there is inevitably a general concensus that those anecdotes and occurences probably refer to "some chav on a BSO" or similar. So us lot on here (and folk like us who might not bother with cycling forums) - not chavs on BSOs - cannot be painted with whichever brush the newspaper happens to be brandishing.

We can't have it both ways. We can't distance ourselves from chavs on BSOs and wobbly nodders on BBs in one breath - to say rubbish a newspaper's article about a 'cyclist' doing something stupid - and embrace anyone on a bike as a 'cyclist' in the next breath.

Indeed the idea that "proper" cyclists unlike bloke on bike don't RLJ or what ever is weak, for starters Cycling is the new Golf/Black etc.

But to be honest all forms of transport does seem to pull dumb moves, people are not always so smart...
  • I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc
    I ride a few none road bikes and very rarely wear a helmet. In your mind does this make me not a cyclist?
  • Ben6899
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc
    I ride a few none road bikes and very rarely wear a helmet. In your mind does this make me not a cyclist?

I think if it does, but HH sticks with that opinion then there's no problem.

It's when we're all too quick to move people from one pool to the next - dependent on what we're discussing - that irks me.
    Ben

• notsoblue
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Its not having it both ways. Both "distancing ourselves from chavs on BSOs and wobbly nodders" and snarky newspaper articles about "cyclists" are wrong and unhelpful. I think the only way people will be treated fairly and respectfully no matter what form of transport they use is if others don't bring negative prejudice to every encounter we have with them.

We can play along with the prejudice and 'Uncle Tom' in a futile attempt to make a distinction between "Real Cyclists" and cyclists that inconvenience drivers, but it won't help anyone. I think the only way we can justify asking for better cycling infrastructure is if cycling is seen as something anybody does rather than just Cyclists.
  • EKE_38BPM
    ...simply because of what they have between their legs...
    Its all about the genitalia with you.

• Headhuunter
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    I understand what the OP means though... When someone says "cyclist" to me, I think of someone more or less in my image - keen on bikes, wouldn't ride anything cr@p/none road bike, dress in lycra, wear a helmet, ride on club rides or at the very least commute daily etc

If you're going to quote me, quote my whole opinion!

".....however in reality, the word cyclist includes anyone on a bike including Boris bikers and, as someone mentioned above, some youth on a BSO talking on the phone zig zagging up the pavement... "
  • Headhuunter
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    :wink:

So when you snogging RC?
  • Indeed. But that's not the bit I was questioning so I didn't quote it.
  • Headhuunter
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    Indeed. But that's not the bit I was questioning so I didn't quote it.

Yes but it's all part of the same point! It's selective quoting and doesn't represent what I said or believe!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    JamesB5446 wrote:
    It does come across like you're itching for a helmet argument :?
  • Ok. It just seemed to me that you were saying "I believe A but in reality B is true too". I was just looking for clarification.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    :wink:

So when you snogging RC?
    The day after the video of your threesome with Anne Widdicombe and Harriet Harman is released on youtube when you announce your candidacy for the BNP with Nick Griffin doing the filming.
    widdecombe1.jpg

jowellDM2910_468x630.jpg
    311233_356500931111038_2006543008_n.jpg

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I suppose its like motorist/driver/road user/boy racer.

Just because someone is behind the wheel of a car you cant expect anything of them!