Canyon owners beware

Huckfinn
Huckfinn Posts: 142
edited December 2012 in MTB general
Hi all

Just got back from a brilliant weekend in Wales, managed to ride the Gap, Afan (whites Trail) and a few others in Brecon. Anyway while unloading my Canyon Nerve Xc on Saturday I noticed that the down tube protector had started to peel off along one of the edges, strange I thought no reason for it to start to peel. I left it and got on with the ride. Over the rest of the weekend it got progressively worse on both sides. Not a problem I thought I give canyon a phone and as the bike is less than 6 months old they would be able to advise, maybe supply me with a new down tube protector. I gave them a phone today and explained the problem, I was asked what cleaning method I used, I said Muck Off bike cleaner sprayed on and then wiped off instantly, I was told that was what caused the problem and it was my fault that the protector had come off. I was advised to use 'Soapy Water' as Muck Off will eat anodised paint work.

I'm not overly happy with that explanation especially as it states it is safe to use on anodised paint work, the bike has only be cleaned about 4 times as I have to take it to my parents (im not blessed with an outdoor hose) to clean it and its only 6 months old and has been used, including this weekend a total of 6 or 7 times.

I am thinking about lodging a claim for a new protector, but I would like to warn other canyon owners and use 'soapy water' instead.

Does anyone think its worth perusing a claim or just put it down to experience buy a new tube protector?

Cheers

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Huckfinn wrote:
    Does anyone think its worth perusing a claim or just put it down to experience buy a new tube protector?

No. Mainly because someone will be along any second and say "Yes, and please post the results", which should kind of tell you it's your fault for using a non-approved substance without checking.
  • Huckfinn
    Thanks for the reply, to be honest I not going to bother with warrant claim, how ever if a product say it is safe to use you should be confident that it is. It will just be cleaned with water from now on. I should say that I cant fault the bike it is brilliant and i would still recommend it, but just don't clean it with anything but water.
  • I use plain water and it's peeled a little bit. Can't say I'm overly bothered.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Do you particularly need a downtube protector on anodised paintwork? Think of all the difference that 30g will make!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's a down tube protector?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Huckfinn
    ddraver wrote:
    Do you particularly need a downtube protector on anodised paintwork? Think of all the difference that 30g will make!

yes because im a tart :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The problem is with Muc Off, not Canyon. I have heard of this happening before.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    cooldad wrote:
    What's a down tube protector?

It's what you used to call a "johnny" back in the day. I think. Anyway suffice to say it will fall off if you wash it with the wrong stuff. You don't want that.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Huckfinn
    Is it worth speaking to Muck Off?
  • supersonic wrote:
    The problem is with Muc Off, not Canyon. I have heard of this happening before.

Exactly. Except I don't think it's a problem with muc-off per se.

Muc-off say it's safe for anodized finish, and I'm sure it is. The problem you're having isn't with the finish though, it sounds to be with the muc-off dissolving the glue used to stick your protector on.

You're welcome to contact them, but I suspect they'll tell you to jog-on (in a nice, customer service-ey sort of way though).
  • Oh, and I'll blame wiggle before Cooldad does ;)

Also, BE WARNED!
  • Huckfinn
    I categorically blame wiggle...... especially for the snow on the Gap.

The paint has come off one of the letters but it could be due to abrasion from the welsh grit.
  • Whats the tube protector? Is it the anodizing thats coming off or some heli tape or what?

Been using muc off on my (anodized) Torque or almost 2 years, had no issues!
  • Huckfinn
    The writing down the down tube on your bike. Its some form of helitape and mine is coming off allegedly as a result of using Muck Off. Plus part of the canyon lettering has come off aswell but this could be due to abrasion
  • Weird!! I'd love to get some of the writing off my Torque :lol:
  • My protector on nerve xc has started to peel a little at the top from using Fenwicks. Its just like a big piece of heli tape. I wouldnt worry about it, just be careful when cleaning that area. If it gets too bad, buy some more tape, no big deal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So Muc-off which dissolves greasy gunge also dissolves the adhesive (greasy gunge really!) on the tape - NEWSFLASH!

I knew I had a good reason for not washing the bike too often!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Huckfinn
    Oils isn't quite like glue, so you wouldn't expect it to affect it that greatly, especially as the cleaner doesn't contain any solvents. However lesson learned and I shall be bathing the bike tonight and Ive ordered a new tube protector. Hopefully the new one will last more than 4 washes.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    The downtube protector as you call it on mine is merely a cheap bit of heli tape. Yes it peeled off for me but its cheap so I just put some more on.

And I don't subscribe to fancy cleaning products either so just use washing up liquid and water
  • Huckfinn
    just out of interest how long did it stay on your Nerve?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    compo wrote:
    And I don't subscribe to fancy cleaning products either so just use washing up liquid and water

Cheap car shampoo better I believe - I think washing up liquid usually contains salt, so maybe not great around the chainset or bolts.
  • Huckfinn
    Car shampoo can contain quite aggressive degreasers aswell
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    This thread should really be titled:

Canyon owners with anodised frames and downtube protectors who use Muc-Off to clean their bikes beware
  • Water, pure water and some degreaser + toothbrush for the chain or some of those cheap 30p blue household wipes for the frame.

Mine (not a canyon) often just gets a blast at a car jet wash as I'm going home and then a blow dry on the roof or trail jet wash and maybe a wipe over with a cloth at home and what damage has that done after 8 or so months? Nothing. Periodically I'll pull the wheels off and get into every nook and cranny.

Damage from this method? Bike still looks and feels nearly brand new.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    JayKay3000 wrote:
    Water, pure water and some degreaser + toothbrush for the chain or some of those cheap 30p blue household wipes for the frame.

Mine (not a canyon) often just gets a blast at a car jet wash as I'm going home and then a blow dry on the roof or trail jet wash and maybe a wipe over with a cloth at home and what damage has that done after 8 or so months? Nothing. Periodically I'll pull the wheels off and get into every nook and cranny.

Damage from this method? Bike still looks and feels nearly brand new.
    Water getting forced into bearings - suspension, BB, headset etc. Bad idea.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Muc-Off is horrible stuff. Buy new helitape, heat with hairdryer, replace. Stop using Muc-Off. Done.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Huckfinn wrote:
    just out of interest how long did it stay on your Nerve?

It was starting to peel off after about a week. After a month I just pulled it off and went new.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Do you really care about Scratches anyway? Sounds a little bit like putting a coat on a dog to me. All the other bikes on the trails must think your's is gay! :wink:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I used a jet wash on my trek a few times - thankfully the replacement bottom bracket a few months later wasn't too expensive as a lesson taught! My new spesh and my trek from then on has seen nothing but a soapy water and sponge and they look great!
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Used a jet washer on low pressure for the last 10 yrs with no problems, just don't point it too closely at the sensitive areas, common sense really.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR