Jewelry, London

2»

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Try Argenta on Fulham Road just opposite the Brompton Hospital.

I got my wedding rings there among a whole load of other presents. The owner is a really nice old gent who is supposedly retiring soon. They just don't cut jewelers like him anymore...
  • There is no substitute for the cohones you will lose when she finds out its costco though.

Except that they provide a valuation certificate which is twice what you paid for it - I find that has a soothing effect :wink:

Seriously, though - a necklace I bought from there about 10 years ago was valued at nearly 10x what I paid for it (taking it from £100's to £1000's). Conversely a ring I bought from a very respected independent jewellers 20 years ago increased in value by only about 25%. With those sorts of numbers, you don't need to worry about where it came from - just so long as her friends don't find out, she's more than happy :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    BigMat wrote:
    Azendi has some nice stuff in. Avoid Goldsmiths! DDD is probably the man you need to hear from, believe it or not - think he used to work in that field.
    Thank you.

Rick, what colour jewellery does she wear, gold or silver?

If she has any rings, bangles, bracelets or even a watch - that will help steer your decision.

At £100 - £150 it's not going to hurt going to somewhere like Ernest Jones, but you need to go in person to get an idea of size and length of the necklace. It's why posting links and images would be pointless.

Avoid white gold (plated).

I'd lean towards pearls, pearls are cool and you can double up with pearl earrings...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Argos...

Ew! That's nasty.

Georg Jensen is really good too, and has some nice things around the £100-150 mark.
    Yes, Georg Jensen is very nice - but they can have some big surprises too. A few years ago I went shopping for a bracelet for my wife and picked out a very nice retro silver one. I don't at this date recall what the price was but it was many multiples of the budget you (and I!) are talking about. Pretty though it was, I was obliged to take my custom elsewhere.

Cheers guys. Got a lovely silver one from Georg Jensen.

She's all over the Scandi stuff generally at the moment so there's a bit of spiel to go with. Scandi TV, Food, blah blah.

Had never heard of them till this thread, so cheers.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Argos...

Ew! That's nasty.

Georg Jensen is really good too, and has some nice things around the £100-150 mark.
    Yes, Georg Jensen is very nice - but they can have some big surprises too. A few years ago I went shopping for a bracelet for my wife and picked out a very nice retro silver one. I don't at this date recall what the price was but it was many multiples of the budget you (and I!) are talking about. Pretty though it was, I was obliged to take my custom elsewhere.

Cheers guys. Got a lovely silver one from Georg Jensen.

She's all over the Scandi stuff generally at the moment so there's a bit of spiel to go with. Scandi TV, Food, blah blah.

Had never heard of them till this thread, so cheers.

Great stuff! :) That reminds me, I'd better get started on my Christmas list...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • You could get her some nice earings from Ratners, or if you wanted something that would last a little longer, a prawn sandwich from M&S.

You could set yourself up as scrap gold dealer, wait until some little old lady wanders in with her family jewels and offer her fifteen quid for it.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • I am lucky to have a sister living in Dubai. Means I get jewellery for about half the price.

And yes - I will be letting her choose the engagement ring I give to my girlfriend in a few weeks.