Jewelry, London

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
Hivemind help required.

Usually I get outstanding birthday presents for the gf. Trip to Rome, net book, nice radley bag, etc.

This year she wants a necklace. Jewelry is a bit of a blackspot. She has a lovely one that she got for her 21st which is so nice she rarely wears it for fear of losing or damaging it. A kinda only for special occasions thing.

Anyway, I need one that's around the £ l00-150 mark. She's quite petite.

Any ideas beyond links?

Cheers.

Comments

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I've got a few things from here: It's on from 5 November. http://www.dazzle-exhibitions.com/Exhib ... ageid=1405 at the South Bank. Sometimes you have to order from the jewellers, sometimes they have it all in stock. But, really nice, stuff, suits all budgets, and it's not all that samey high street stuff.

So either there, or something in silver from Tiffany, although every women and her dog has stuff from there nowadays.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Azendi has some nice stuff in. Avoid Goldsmiths! DDD is probably the man you need to hear from, believe it or not - think he used to work in that field.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Dower & Hall - I've bought quite a few different pieces from them. Contemporary but not too fashionable if you see what I mean.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Argos...
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    rubertoe wrote:
    Argos...

Ew! That's nasty.

Georg Jensen is really good too, and has some nice things around the £100-150 mark.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    edited November 2012
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Argos...

Ew! That's nasty.

Georg Jensen is really good too, and has some nice things around the £100-150 mark.
    Yes, Georg Jensen is very nice - but they can have some big surprises too. A few years ago I went shopping for a bracelet for my wife and picked out a very nice retro silver one. I don't at this date recall what the price was but it was many multiples of the budget you (and I!) are talking about. Pretty though it was, I was obliged to take my custom elsewhere.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It was a joke,

Find a hand made Jewellers, they should be able to do you something nice for a good price.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • My recommendation would be a modern silver piece. Gold is nice, but people can be quite particular about it and it can be expensive for what you get. My everyday necklace is a fine-ish (but not so fine I worry about it snapping) silver chain with a silver curvy pendant. It's simple and elegant and goes with most of my clothes. I even wear it cycling under a jersey without worrying about it. There are some nice modern jewellers about who I am sure would be happy to help (Azendi aren't a bad place to start). Think about necklaces that match her existing jewellery too. Does she wear earrings? What sort of style are they normally? etc..
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got pearls for mine recently. Depending on where you shop you can get salt/freshwater which affects the price as does the quality and roundness. Good quality round ones are a bit more, salt are quite a bit more. Add the two and it can be considerable.
    Cheap ones available from Camden Lock.

There is a square in London which is perfect for this but I've forgotten the fucking name. Could be Russel Sq, but I might be wrong
  • Anonymous
    Hatton Garden I think is the place
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    That's the point really. She wears very little. Hence the request.

She can't wear braclets or stuff that can or will irritate her skin.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:
    Argos...

Ew! That's nasty.

Yes, Georg Jensen is very nice - but they can have some big surprises too. A few years ago I went shopping for a bracelet for my wife and picked out a very nice retro silver one. I don't at this date recall what the price was but it was many multiples of the budge you are talking about. Pretty though it was I was obliged to take my custom elsewhere.

There are also places doing vintage modern stuff (Georg Jensen and other Scandi stuff). There's Undercurrents on Cowper Street - looks like a bit like a junk shop, but the couple that run it know their stuff and will chat for hours about 20th century design if you let them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Get yourself up to Hatton Garden and have a look round the shops there ;)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
  • That's the point really. She wears very little. Hence the request.

She can't wear braclets or stuff that can or will irritate her skin.

If she has sensitive skin you're definitely looking at precious metals. Keep it simple and classic and you won't go wrong. Links of London might be worth considering (although they may be a little pricey).
    Nice weather bike: Fondriest TF2 (white/ black)
    Training Bike: Giant Avail (white/ blue/ green)
    Track bikes: Planet X Franko Bianco (white) and 7VRN (white/ black)
    CX: Kinesis Pro6 (sick green)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    And when you're looking make sure you ask for jewellery, not jewelry.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I think we need some photos of your petite GF to make a call
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    coriordan wrote:
    quality and roundness.
    I've given your girlfriend a considerable, salty pearl necklace before too.
  • Anonymous
    tetm wrote:
    coriordan wrote:
    quality and roundness.
    I've given your girlfriend a considerable, salty pearl necklace before too.
    Y tu novia también
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    tandemsilveronblack.jpg

Stylish and practical?
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Swayed by pretty packaging? Elsa Peretti has a good range of modern silver items at Tiffany, but obviously one pays heavily for the name and overheads of a Bond Street store.
  • If you can lay your hands on a Pritt stick and a bit of glitter you could do her a Northern vajazzle :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • msmancunia
    If you can lay your hands on a Pritt stick and a bit of glitter you could do her a Northern vajazzle :shock:

That, I have to admit, has made me smile for the first time in this challenging, hate my job, punch your boss in the nuts, kind of day. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    msmancunia wrote:
    If you can lay your hands on a Pritt stick and a bit of glitter you could do her a Northern vajazzle :shock:

That, I have to admit, has made me smile for the first time in this challenging, hate my job, punch your boss in the nuts, kind of day. :)

"Now hold still a minute, love..."
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    msmancunia wrote:

:shock: Oh dear.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    msmancunia wrote:

Wow. Sounds like a lovely place to work.

And its only Monday...
  • Costco is the answer - their jewellery is epic value. Had some jewellery valued recently (if you haven't had it done in a while and you have diamonds in particular, you maybe shocked by how much it has increased - vital if it's insured). Anyhow, the professional valuer was agreeing (albeit, as he admitted, through gritted teeth) that Costco jewellery represents great value.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    There is no substitute for the cohones you will lose when she finds out its costco though.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I use a fantastic place which showcases young/new designers stuff. It's great value, it's unique - so she'll never see it anywhere else, the range of designs is quite eclectic so there's always something that grabs you. The disappointing thing for you is that it's not in that there Lunnon town. (although why it needs to be god only knows!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris