Training on wet, rainy days

2»

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Wednesday was going to be the best day of the week but wet isn't the word, 45 miles cut to 15 because of the surface water. Everywhere was flooded with rivers of the stuff running off the fields, it didn't help when a truck coming the opposite direction went through a flood which soaked me from head to toe just 2 miles in.
    Negative note, the BB30 will need drying out so the crank's off later
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    edited November 2012
    LegendLust wrote:
    And riding in weather like this makes me feel more alive. Not only that I count myself lucky that I can get out. My poor wife who has a chronic illness would love to ride her bike but can't. She's the reason I go out and enjoy the roads in any weather.

You hit the nail on the head. Riding in wild weather makes me feel alive, whether it's my 12 mile commute or a training ride. And I'm often mindful of poor people like your wife who for one reason or another couldn't be out exercising even if they wanted to. I'm lucky that I can.

Also, living in Scotland, I reckon if I ever start to use "bad weather" as an excuse for not riding my bike, I might as well give it up now.

As we like to say here, there's no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothes.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    My pedals still turn when the ground is wet.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I really enjoy it when the rain is hammering down. One of those at one with nature feelings. Maybe I'm just weird :S
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My pedals still turn when the ground is wet.
    In fairness to Bozman, it seems that might not be the case with BB30
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Sitting in a resturant in Slough having driven 100 miles today already for work, I am just craving to get home and get out on the bike. I want to take advantage of every second I have, so this is just killing me! Roll on last appointment!?!
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • ....I rode today, usually on my commute I ride past about 30 people, today I rode past 1 old woman

I don't care for the rain, I don't like it, but it won't stop me from getting out on the bike, it's only a bit of water after all, not going to kill you!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dress in the right kit and its fine. Slap some mudguards on and you'll not be spraying yourself either.
    It's always much more fun to be outside rather than in. Get out into the countryside and you might have it all to yourself. And cake stops are quieter on wet days. :-)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Clothing and mudguards made no difference today, i like the rain but everywhere was flooded and everytime a car went past you got drenched. I had to turn around on one lane because the road was flooded with a car stuck in the middle, the water was bonnet deep. Plenty of country roads were flooded across and main roads weren't much better with huge puddles stretching across from one side to another.
    My Gore jacket kept my top half dry and my gloves weren't bad but overshoes etc couldn't handle the soaking.

I still prefered my short blast to a session on the turbo though.
  • I do enjoy riding in the rain, it's generally a lot of fun with adequate clothing.

But as with anything, when you've lost the motivation on the bike and it's chucking it down it's effing awful.

When the weather's really bad there's a Dam about three miles away which is three miles all round, so I get to that and just do repetitions of the circuit until I feel i've done enough, usually around the 20 miles mark if it's raining hard.

It's not a bad loop, there''s a nice hill on one side, bit of descent, relatively flat the other side. I feel lucky I have this option and don't have to cycle miles to get into the countryside.
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://www.pedalmash.co.uk/
  • Two days straight now, I've not felt like going out, but forced myself to endure the wind and a little rain to spend 50 mins of my lunch doing a 16 mile route where I live. Hit some reasonable times just over 19 m/hr, but felt so much better for it when I've got home and I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself for making the effort.

I have the option of hitting the spinning machines etc. at my local David Lloyd, but as others say its just not the same.
    Cipollini Bond
    Pinarello GAN
  • I've contemplated going to a couple of spin classes for when the weather really gets bad and I don't want to go out on the bike.

I've been to a few before and they're a great workout. Obviously not the same as the bike on the road but it's a better alternative to doing nothing!
    Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Gabbo wrote:
    How do you guys train on such a wet day like today? It's wet, rainy, and miserable and Sundays is the day a long cycle is usually penned in for.

Do you guys miss training? Use a turbo trainer or just grin and bare it?

Yeah I got wet on my training ride today, but a windproof jersey ensured I didn't get cold.

A hot shower and I returned to work feeling alive. The added bonus is I don't have to think of getting on the rollers this evening. :D

A wipe and oil of the chain, plus a wipe of the braking surfaces and the bike's ready for more of the same tomorrow.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    You can ride in all weathers, but with rain the big issue is the temperature - above 13C or so you can just get wet and ignore it, but if it's 5 degrees, windy and wet you will get hypothermic without a proper waterproof jacket, even although you can cycle in much colder weather when it's dry and be fine. Problem is that if you wear the waterproof jacket in slightly warmer, rainy temperatures or slightly colder, dryer temperatures you will get hot and sweaty, so it's a bit of an art selecting the right clothes for the conditions.
  • neeb wrote:
    You can ride in all weathers, but with rain the big issue is the temperature - above 13C or so you can just get wet and ignore it, but if it's 5 degrees, windy and wet you will get hypothermic without a proper waterproof jacket, even although you can cycle in much colder weather when it's dry and be fine. Problem is that if you wear the waterproof jacket in slightly warmer, rainy temperatures or slightly colder, dryer temperatures you will get hot and sweaty, so it's a bit of an art selecting the right clothes for the conditions.

+ lots
  • Nothing wrong with getting out in the wet. I've been out for 2-3 hours in torrential downpour several times in the last couple of weeks.

Obviously you can't ride as if it's completely dry (though on these occasions I am thankful for my 27x1 1/4" (32mm) tyres; I don't have major problems with grip), but it's good for confidence and balance (I think, anyway), and there's nothing to stop you from climbing hills in the rain.

Getting out on the bike is fundamentally what it's all about. It didn't stop Lizzie Armitstead and Marianne Vos on Box Hill, it won't stop me, and it shouldn't stop you.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    The wetter the better for me. If it's raining when I'm training, the rain keeps me cool, and I sweat less, thus there is less stress on my body.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Turbo - eyes shut 90% of the time - contemplate and get knackered.
  • I'm of the view that if it rains when i'm on the bike, that's fine it can be refreshing when you're hot.

If it begins to get torrential on the bike, fair enough i'll just head home if I don't have the right clothing, or carry on if I have a shell.

If i'm looking out of the window watching the rain bounce in the road contemplating a ride, I think it would be madness to venture out in it so don't bother.

Having said that, unless it's really monsoon type rain or hurricane winds I'll still go out.

Maybe I'm silly or just a bit masochistic...