wheels

2»

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Either go Handbuilt from someone reputable or buy Fulcrums. IME Fulcrums are bombproof.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Either go Handbuilt from someone reputable or buy Fulcrums. IME Fulcrums are bombproof.
    id agree with this.

having had both, i much prefer commuting on my 105s with open pro rims. purely for the ease of replacing a spoke
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Thanks very much for all your suggestions... I'm a bit torn between getting a pair of built up or traditionally spoked wheels with easily replaceable parts and a pair of high tension, low spoke count, newer style wheels... Hmmm....
    What riding are you going to do? Lots of hills, or "Sunday best" riding with mates who appreciate some bling? Get the low spoke count ones. Commute or lots of training miles where you want something reliable and easy to repair if it breaks? Get the handbuilts.

Also, I'm not sure on your physiology. If you're on the heavier side, then you'll most likely want something with more spokes anyway.

TBH, one of the wheel builders should be able to give you some advice and help you make up your mind.

They'd be on the CAAD8 which is primarily for the commute but also serves as a back up weekend bike if number 1 bike is out of action... Physiology-wise, I'm about 6 ft 3 and weigh about 80kg, I'm fairly skinny, about 33 inch waist ish, however I do sometimes do the weekly shop on the CAAD8 which means an additional 30kg sometimes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

Thanks... I've had other low spoke count wheels like Pro Lite Como and cheapie Shimano WHR 550... Prob I've had with those has mainly been the hubs, they're traditional cup and cone, which is fine, but I seem to go through the cones quite quickly and then, surprise, surprise, no one in the entire Uk stocks replaceable parts for the hubs.... Fulcrum use cartridge bearings don't they?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hmm, CRC don't seem to have a custom road builder anymore.

I've never had problems getting parts for Shimano hubs, even obscure ones: Petra Cycles stock a lot of spares. Then again, I don't wear many cones out. Any Shimano Cycle Centre can order spares from Madison. the higher end hubs use better quality parts anyway and last longer. I'd go handbuilt, 32 spokes (double butted), mavic rim, Shimano hub, every time over a factory build.
  • Irvinet
    Irvinet Posts: 117
    If you decide to go handbuilt, I can vouch for the quality of Harry Rowland builds. He did me a pair of Open Pro on 105 hubs for £235(£250 shipped). Very happy.
    Roberts Audax - Raleigh Fixie - Thorn Tandem