Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    Made me chuckle. Outpatient appt today at my favourite eye hospital. They've started issuing labels to stick on you to indicate (to whoever?) to which clinic stream one belongs. One small child had a label on her 'PAEDS'.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    orraloon said:

Made me chuckle. Outpatient appt today at my favourite eye hospital. They've started issuing labels to stick on you to indicate (to whoever?) to which clinic stream one belongs. One small child had a label on her 'PAEDS'.

...and your sticker was NUTS?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

...and your sticker was NUTS?
    Nah man, pure 'RADGE'
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Riding my bike with its new groupset. It took more than a year to put on due to lockdowns, kids and my sizing the chain one link to short, but its done, and it works very nicely.

For the other thread: my legs ache, traffic lights haven't become any less annoying and 11 speed chains are way too sensitive.
  • orraloon
    A post on local freecycle group lists a pedals tool. Have a look. The pedals tool is offered along with a basin as being replaced in a bathroom refurb. Doh.
  • pinno

Riding my bike with its new groupset. It took more than a year to put on due to lockdowns, kids and my sizing the chain one link to short, but its done, and it works very nicely.

For the other thread: my legs ache, traffic lights haven't become any less annoying and 11 speed chains are way too sensitive.

Technically, you can't be 1 link short. So you must have been 2 links short.

What's up with 11 speed chains?
  • TheBigBean
    pinno said:

Yes, I was one unit of chain short. Two links. That's despite using two different ways to measure.

The problem with 11 speed chains is you can't take the pins out and put them back in, so what I should have done is buy two quick links to correct the mistake, but that's relatively pricey and takes time to receive them.

Instead, I put the pins back in, the chain snapped and I bent the hangar. That meant going to the LBS who straightened the hangar, but cracked it and added ONE quick link to the chain which promptly snapped again on the other join. All of which meant I then had to buy a new hangar and I ended up buying a new chain and doing it myself. So, that short chain proved expensive.

Anyway, the point is that after all that, it was quite nice to ride my bike again.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,586

pinno said:

Yes, I was one unit of chain short. Two links. That's despite using two different ways to measure.

The problem with 11 speed chains is you can't take the pins out and put them back in, so what I should have done is buy two quick links to correct the mistake, but that's relatively pricey and takes time to receive them.

Instead, I put the pins back in, the chain snapped and I bent the hangar. That meant going to the LBS who straightened the hangar, but cracked it and added ONE quick link to the chain which promptly snapped again on the other join. All of which meant I then had to buy a new hangar and I ended up buying a new chain and doing it myself. So, that short chain proved expensive.

Anyway, the point is that after all that, it was quite nice to ride my bike again.
    Having recently replaced my original 10 year old 9 speed Tiagra with a new 11 speed 105 groupset and new Ultegra wheels plus having the loose front mech hanger reattached I totally understand this. The bike just feels so smooth, gear changes crisper than they have ever been and no concerns about whether the brakes call deal with my weight on steep descents.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

pinno said:

You obviously learnt cycle maintenance at the same place I did. Although I feel your pain I’m so pleased to find out it isn’t only me who has these disasters.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    webboo said:

pinno said:

You obviously learnt cycle maintenance at the same place I did. Although I feel your pain I’m so pleased to find out it isn’t only me who has these disasters.
    Sounds like the LBS mechanic was also an alumni
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno

pinno said:

Sure.
    The prevention is better than cure mentality in me would suggest that a quick link in the first instance would have saved you money... [I'm not preaching, enjoy the bike].

On that note, I highly recommend the Wipperman connex quick links. I've had KMC fail more than once and the Wipperman though a bit pricey, I can remove with ease and repetitively.
    I wax my chains and removing them for repeat waxing is made easier with the WP quick link.
  • TheBigBean
    webboo said:

pinno said:

Glad to be part of the club!
  • TheBigBean
    elbowloh said:

webboo said:

pinno said:

Sounds like the LBS mechanic was also an alumni
    Yes, they really should have told me to buy a new hangar online and fit a new chain which is a what I did, but I guess that doesn't make money.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,927
    Lowest rate in England, I think...

• briantrumpet
    edited May 2021

Yes, they really should have told me to buy a new hangar online and fit a new chain which is a what I did, but I guess that doesn't make money.

Personally, I just use the kitchen to fit a new chain ;)

Sorry
  • TheBigBean
    Seems I have the spelling wrong.
  • briantrumpet

Well, trying to find the etymology of 'hangar', it appears to come from the old French 'haimgard', where 'haim' is village and 'gard' is protection. So nothing to do with hanging things. So this probably ought to go in 'Things you've recently learnt'.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Not cheery bit first! My ride buddy took a spill on Sunday morning (out for 6 months, hip and elbow both broken and muscle torn away).
    Cheery bit! The amount of help offered by the only 2 houses nearby on the lane, the passing cyclists and motorists was amazing. Within minutes we had waterproof horse blankets, extra blankets, hot water bottles and umbrellas to shelter him whilst waiting for the ambulance. There was even a flask of coffee for the 2 of us riding with him. People can be great some times
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I read an additional comma in there and thought you'd been offered a waterproof horse.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    monkimark said:

I read an additional comma in there and thought you'd been offered a waterproof horse.

:D
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Just watching the sowing bee with the missus, she’s a big fan and they are doing something with Denim and they did a link to Denim mining in the old gold towns in the states. Apparently you can get 30K for a pair of old jeans from the 19 century, Levi’s 100K.
    Who would have thought that one day there would be people who called themselves Denim miners.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    My missus is a big fan as well. The only sewing she does is the odd button.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    webboo said:

Just watching the sowing bee with the missus, she’s a big fan and they are doing something with Denim and they did a link to Denim mining in the old gold towns in the states. Apparently you can get 30K for a pair of old jeans from the 19 century, Levi’s 100K.
    Who would have thought that one day there would be people who called themselves Denim miners.

Haven't seen the Sowing Bee. Is that some sort of farming programme?
  • pinno
    Mechanised bees to replace the diminishing live one's.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    Me and the wife always make a big deal of Eurovision every year.

Really missed it last year - made me quite sad.

Anyway, it's back on this year and I'm absolutely up for it.

Sh!t loads of food (a outstanding buffet with a decent representation from across Europe), a nice bottle of white. Can't wait.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Sh!t loads of food (a outstanding buffet with a decent representation from across Europe), a nice bottle of white. Can't wait.

😂
    I think we have gleaned from previous posts you not a music lover.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    If you're watching it for the music you don't get what it's about, but sure.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,153

Well, trying to find the etymology of 'hangar', it appears to come from the old French 'haimgard', where 'haim' is village and 'gard' is protection. So nothing to do with hanging things. So this probably ought to go in 'Things you've recently learnt'.
    A building big enough to guard a small French village, interesting.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

😂
    I think we have gleaned from previous posts you not a music lover.
    Surely the wailing is at high risk of waking the baby.
  • pinno

If you're watching it for the music you don't get what it's about, but sure.

?