Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• morstar wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Very happy that the courts found the equalisation of pension ages between men and women to be non-discriminatory and that the process for informing them last century was sound and complete. So the Justices conclude that Ms Harpy making all the fuss and protesting her victimhood is just a chancer who is trying to redress her own failings of not saving for her future, believing that she has no responsibility for anything in life, spending too much money on alcohol and being too stupid to get a job.
    :D

The written judgement may come out slightly differently.

Yes, I'm willing to be that 'Ms Harpy' 'making a fuss' won't be in the written judgement (unless that is her actual name which is very unfortunate). :wink:

The judgement is a good thing, but I can see why people might feel slightly aggrieved seeing as it's only recently where young women have received anything close to equal opportunities. I'd be a bit tetchy if I'd been forced to do home economics and become a typist, then expected to give up my job and have kids while my husband works only to find that I'm now old and divorced with no cash.
    I can definitely see both sides but, some of the stories simply don't add up.
    This was announced in 1993 (ish) at which point the most effected people were in their early 40's. Now much as I can understand being annoyed that your retirement goal post has just moved, why does this directly cause poverty between the ages of 60 and 65?
    There was more than enough opportunity to realise that you needed an income between 60 and 65.
    My retirement age is currently 67 but I am fully expecting it to have moved before I get there which I'm sure will annoy me too, but I will plan accordingly, if and when it does.

It was 1995 and other than the benefits of it becoming somebody elses problem I don't see hwy they did not phase it it more gently. ie go up by one year every four years so producing less of a cliff edge
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    morstar wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:
    Very happy that the courts found the equalisation of pension ages between men and women to be non-discriminatory and that the process for informing them last century was sound and complete. So the Justices conclude that Ms Harpy making all the fuss and protesting her victimhood is just a chancer who is trying to redress her own failings of not saving for her future, believing that she has no responsibility for anything in life, spending too much money on alcohol and being too stupid to get a job.
    :D

The written judgement may come out slightly differently.

Yes, I'm willing to be that 'Ms Harpy' 'making a fuss' won't be in the written judgement (unless that is her actual name which is very unfortunate). :wink:

The judgement is a good thing, but I can see why people might feel slightly aggrieved seeing as it's only recently where young women have received anything close to equal opportunities. I'd be a bit tetchy if I'd been forced to do home economics and become a typist, then expected to give up my job and have kids while my husband works only to find that I'm now old and divorced with no cash.
    I can definitely see both sides but, some of the stories simply don't add up.
    This was announced in 1993 (ish) at which point the most effected people were in their early 40's. Now much as I can understand being annoyed that your retirement goal post has just moved, why does this directly cause poverty between the ages of 60 and 65?
    There was more than enough opportunity to realise that you needed an income between 60 and 65.
    My retirement age is currently 67 but I am fully expecting it to have moved before I get there which I'm sure will annoy me too, but I will plan accordingly, if and when it does.

It was 1995 and other than the benefits of it becoming somebody elses problem I don't see hwy they did not phase it it more gently. ie go up by one year every four years so producing less of a cliff edge
    I agree with that. Like I say, I understand the frustration. It's just that I read the story of the lead campaigner this morning and the abject poverty to which she has been subjected. There is not a direct cause and effect relationship in my eyes. It seems she took the informed decision to stop work at 60 regardless of the fact the pension age is now 65.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I love the prosaic glory of local paper headlines, especially when they make mistakes;

"Neonatal intensive care unit to receive £7 makeover"

That'll certainly make a big difference :D
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I was commuting along the canal through Deepcut on Tuesday,the morning after a very windy night. The path was blocked by a fallen tree covering about 4 metres of path.

I carried by bike over it then, when I got to work managed to get hold of the Canal "ranger" on the phone. He told me it was the 4th different tree reported that morning on the (30;mile long) canal.

I looked online for a way around that section on the way home, but when I was going hone I met some runners coming the other way who told me the tree was gone. Sure enough there was just a scattering of chestnuts and leaves remaining.

Not really trivial, but I was cheered and impressed.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mrfpb wrote:
    I was commuting along the canal through Deepcut on Tuesday,the morning after a very windy night. The path was blocked by a fallen tree covering about 4 metres of path.

I carried by bike over it then, when I got to work managed to get hold of the Canal "ranger" on the phone. He told me it was the 4th different tree reported that morning on the (30;mile long) canal.

I looked online for a way around that section on the way home, but when I was going hone I met some runners coming the other way who told me the tree was gone. Sure enough there was just a scattering of chestnuts and leaves remaining.

Bloody squirrels.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    My 12 year old is reading a book all about cricket. His reaction this morning after he'd been reading a section on sledging was priceless :)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Rolf F wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

Bloody squirrels.......
    On that subject, i was in the garden of the Horniman Museum yesterday afternoon and there were a couple of grey squirrels there chewing on horse chestnuts / ferrying them back across the path to to their stashes.

Even though they are foreign invaders (#supporttheredsquirrel), it did cheer me up watching them.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mrfpb wrote:

I'm always struck by the speed with which fallen trees are chopped up and cleared away. Perhaps the tree clearing people should be given pothole filling duties when the wind drops??
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    keef66 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

I'm always struck by the speed with which fallen trees are chopped up and cleared away. Perhaps the tree clearing people should be given pothole filling duties when the wind drops??
    Reminds me of that old joke car tax disc holder with the wording 'Yes I've paid my road tax - now go fix some ****ing potholes'.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • keef66 wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:

you underestimate the efficiency of the army of logoblins snaffling up free fuel for their wood stoves
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Makes mental note to add a chainsaw to the stuff in the boot...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Makes mental note to add a chainsaw to the stuff in the boot...

a bow saw takes up less room and I feel less likely to get you in trouble on public land
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    Going out for a bike for the first time in what seems like months and the bike being almost silent. No creaks, no squeaks, no rattles or rubs.

Pure heaven.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Longshot wrote:
    Going out for a bike for the first time in what seems like months and the bike being almost silent. No creaks, no squeaks, no rattles or rubs.

Pure heaven.

Yes - but sitting on it on the drive is like that - you have to ride somewhere ... ;)
  • Longshot
    Slowbike wrote:
    Longshot wrote:

Pure heaven.

Yes - but sitting on it on the drive is like that - you have to ride somewhere ... ;)

Next week. I promise. baby steps...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    Going to the Meat Loaf Story show last night. A damp October Tuesday night. How to light it up. Steve Steinman is good, band is good, stage show is good, the songs are those songs, and guest singer Lorraine Crosby (original vocalist on 'I Would Do Anything For Love (But...)') is superb. Cheered me up no end.

A trawl through old CDs, vinyls, Spotify beckons.
  • slowbike
    Little Slowbike has (re)discovered the joys of jumping off curbs - so the short ride to school (and back when I pick him up) is basically a slalom course of him riding up onto the pavement to jump off the curb ... find the next gap and do it again ... and again....
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Slowbike wrote:
    Little Slowbike has (re)discovered the joys of jumping off curbs - so the short ride to school (and back when I pick him up) is basically a slalom course of him riding up onto the pavement to jump off the curb ... find the next gap and do it again ... and again....

Similarly, my 3 year old daughter on her scooter on the way to pre-school, just wants to go faster and faster. She falls of, busts her knee, says"I'm ok daddy, just a bump" then off she goes again as fast as she can. Big smile on her face, shouting "look at me daddy"!!

So much joy on a rainy morning!

n.b. right pain in the back end trying to get her to clean her teeth :lol:
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • no scooter on school run without clean teeth...easy
  • slowbike
    no scooter on school run without clean teeth...easy
    yer - you think that ... but the stand off will occur ... and who gets it in the neck because the child is late .... quick hint - it's not the child!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Slowbike wrote:
    yer - you think that ... but the stand off will occur ... and who gets it in the neck because the child is late .... quick hint - it's not the child!
    Guess we all know who is in charge then.
    Quick hint - it’s the child! :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • slowbike
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    Guess we all know who is in charge then.
    Quick hint - it’s the child! :lol:
    Anyone who thinks differently ...... ;)
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    My passport is worth more than a US one.

Antigua and Barbuda; from $100,000
    St Kitt's and Nevis; from $150,000
    Montenegro; from $274,000
    Portugal; from $384,000
    Spain; from $550,000
    Bulgaria; from $560,000
    Malta; from $1m
    US; between $500,000 and $1m invested in a business creating 10 jobs
    UK; from $2.5m

This may only be good for a few more days.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    The fact it's getting colder and more horrible so I can use all my outdoors gear again. Fingers crossed for some actual snow this year....
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Enjoying a perfectly cooked Wagu Ribeye.
    Downside is being spoiled for all other steaks in the future.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Out of the blue my wife announces to me with an air of authority " I am now officially a Medium " . With a totally surprised look I said " have you made contact with anybody yet. She says " bastard ".
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    Stumbling upon an Adam Buxton Podcast interviewing Chris Morris. My Friday afternoon report writing has just brightened!
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • Longshot
    The fact that my will power is strong enough to avoid stepping into futile arguments with moronic shitgibbons on Twitter.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,522
    Longshot wrote:
    The fact that my will power is strong enough to avoid stepping into futile arguments with moronic shitgibbons on Twitter.
    Wrong thread, but if only I had the will power to avoid that sort of thing in Cake Stop :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Longshot wrote:
    Wrong thread, but if only I had the will power to avoid that sort of thing in Cake Stop :D

Where's cake stop ?