Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    The Costa coffee is free today in my local Spar for International Coffee Day and whilst that is cheering me up a bit (their coffee isn't good enough to over excite me) the bit that cheered me up the most was going in there and seeing a big queue but when they went up to the till there was also the offer of a complimentary copy of The Sun as there has been for a few days. Every person I saw turned that offer down - they literally can't give The Sun away!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,457
    Pross wrote:
    The Costa coffee is free today in my local Spar for International Coffee Day and whilst that is cheering me up a bit (their coffee isn't good enough to over excite me) the bit that cheered me up the most was going in there and seeing a big queue but when they went up to the till there was also the offer of a complimentary copy of The Sun as there has been for a few days. Every person I saw turned that offer down - they literally can't give The Sun away!
    They should do it properly and give away copies of The Beano.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Chris Bass wrote:
    yeah she was - apparently she did a lot of training

This pun has been underappreciated. It is a seemingly trivial thing that cheers me up.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

This pun has been underappreciated. It is a seemingly trivial thing that cheers me up.

Lucky she didn't have coaching instead.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I can't believe there weren't criminal proceedings. A real missed-carriage of justice.
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

I can't believe there weren't criminal proceedings. A real missed-carriage of justice.

Stop that now or it will all get a bit Austin Powers.....!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    She was chuffed to bits to survive!

No, wait...
  • A firm platform that opened many doors and got her on a new track to rail against those siding with the coach at the track.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    I think the attempts at railway related humour have now run into the buffers.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Pross wrote:

i remember when Edwyn had an offer on at his newsagent which was buy a copy of the Daily Racist and get free Lego.

Everyone was picking up a copy of the racist rag, paying, getting their free (retail 2 or three times as much as the DR) Lego and handing the DR straight back to the counter staff.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    rjsterry wrote:

I thought they were well made points.
  • haydenm
    Pross wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

I thought they were well made points.

Very good! I enjoyed that one a lot...

Fare play.
  • rolf_f
    Chuffing imbeciles.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I think that signals the end of train jokes...
  • haydenm
    Slowbike wrote:

Agreed, this conversation has gone off track.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Slowbike wrote:

Terminated?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,626
    All change.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Slowbike wrote:
    I'm siding with you on this one
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Rolf F wrote:
    Chuffing imbeciles.......

Very cutting.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    that the end of Christmas is one day closer.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Dina Asher-Smith. Every time I see her interviewed I feel happier.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Pross wrote:
    Isn't it great to see someone who is genuinely pleased to be there. Loving the fact that she's progressing and is a genuine gold medal hope. Her compassion after the semi-final with the injured athlete was great to see too.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Very happy that the courts found the equalisation of pension ages between men and women to be non-discriminatory and that the process for informing them last century was sound and complete. So the Justices conclude that Ms Harpy making all the fuss and protesting her victimhood is just a chancer who is trying to redress her own failings of not saving for her future, believing that she has no responsibility for anything in life, spending too much money on alcohol and being too stupid to get a job.
    :D

The written judgement may come out slightly differently.
  • Stevo_666
    Tashman wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Isn't it great to see someone who is genuinely pleased to be there. Loving the fact that she's progressing and is a genuine gold medal hope. Her compassion after the semi-final with the injured athlete was great to see too.
    Agreed.

She used to go to my kids old school (several years ahead) and was a bit of an inspiration for her and many others to say the least. My OH and junior met her several years back training in our local park before she became a household name and she is as bright, pleasant and chatty as she comes across in the TV interviews.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Agreed.

She used to go to my kids old school (several years ahead) and was a bit of an inspiration for her and many others to say the least. My OH and junior met her several years back training in our local park before she became a household name and she is as bright, pleasant and chatty as she comes across in the TV interviews.

Good to see KJT delivering too. Always had the air of a nearly woman and not able to lay it down when it really mattered. Knocked that critique well and truly on the head with a string of PB's. Will be interesting to see if she can now go to a new level. I love the athletes that go on a journey to get to the top.
  • Stevo_666
    Lagrange wrote:
    Very happy that the courts found the equalisation of pension ages between men and women to be non-discriminatory and that the process for informing them last century was sound and complete. So the Justices conclude that Ms Harpy making all the fuss and protesting her victimhood is just a chancer who is trying to redress her own failings of not saving for her future, believing that she has no responsibility for anything in life, spending too much money on alcohol and being too stupid to get a job.

Yep, isn't equality great :)
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    I had a jolly good rant at a guy in a SUV who was just pulling out on me from the right in to a pedestrian island setup where we were going to collide...and he actually stopped :)
  • haydenm
    Lagrange wrote:

Yes, I'm willing to be that 'Ms Harpy' 'making a fuss' won't be in the written judgement (unless that is her actual name which is very unfortunate). :wink:

The judgement is a good thing, but I can see why people might feel slightly aggrieved seeing as it's only recently where young women have received anything close to equal opportunities. I'd be a bit tetchy if I'd been forced to do home economics and become a typist, then expected to give up my job and have kids while my husband works only to find that I'm now old and divorced with no cash.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

Yes, I'm willing to be that 'Ms Harpy' 'making a fuss' won't be in the written judgement (unless that is her actual name which is very unfortunate). :wink:

The judgement is a good thing, but I can see why people might feel slightly aggrieved seeing as it's only recently where young women have received anything close to equal opportunities. I'd be a bit tetchy if I'd been forced to do home economics and become a typist, then expected to give up my job and have kids while my husband works only to find that I'm now old and divorced with no cash.
    I can definitely see both sides but, some of the stories simply don't add up.
    This was announced in 1993 (ish) at which point the most effected people were in their early 40's. Now much as I can understand being annoyed that your retirement goal post has just moved, why does this directly cause poverty between the ages of 60 and 65?
    There was more than enough opportunity to realise that you needed an income between 60 and 65.
    My retirement age is currently 67 but I am fully expecting it to have moved before I get there which I'm sure will annoy me too, but I will plan accordingly, if and when it does.
  • haydenm
    morstar wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Lagrange wrote:

I can definitely see both sides but, some of the stories simply don't add up.
    This was announced in 1993 (ish) at which point the most effected people were in their early 40's. Now much as I can understand being annoyed that your retirement goal post has just moved, why does this directly cause poverty between the ages of 60 and 65?
    There was more than enough opportunity to realise that you needed an income between 60 and 65.
    My retirement age is currently 67 but I am fully expecting it to have moved before I get there which I'm sure will annoy me too, but I will plan accordingly, if and when it does.

Yeah, I'm fully expecting there not to be a retirement age by the time I get to my state pension age of 68. Very much hoping I wont need the state pension also.

I think there are lots of other things to be annoyed at as a woman from that generation really