Which Full Suspension

2»

Comments

• Sorry best price for the Scott I've seen is £2149 RRP £3349
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Zesty for me, I'd be put off the others for their pull shocks. Shimano groupset and full carbon frame also add to the zesty's appeal.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    oodboo wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    Sounds like an enduro is way too much bike for the OP, and the enduro owner failed to mention that new sram stuff falls apart after 5 minutes and avid brakes are also pretty poor reliability wise.
    How do you figure that without any comment as to the type of riding he intends to do?

I agree with the comments about the SRAM stuff though. I have a 2010 enduro comp and I swapped everything to Shimano XT. With mine I feel like it's too much bike for the riding I do and if I could go back to when I bought it I'd go for the stumpy instead. Now though I really want a transition bandit, never tried one so that's just based on reviews and stuff. The enduro is good through, I just dont use it to its potential.

Purely on the type of bike the OP's looking at. If he felt the riding he does required the extra travel and beefiness of an enduro/spicy etc, then he would be looking at those over the bikes mentioned.

IMO best for the OP would be the zesty or maybe the Norco sight I mentioned previously. I also have never liked the pullshocks, they are a royal pain to setup, and the performance is always a compromise towards climbing and the downhill performance always suffers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree. Simpler is better, especially when you crash/get gunked up with crud. Shimano and the RS front end plus Formula brakes also appeal more.
    The Zesty and Scott are the only two of the three I've actually ridden and the Zesty made even me at least feel like I was going fast.
    The Scott was just too confusing - the person who owned it had just got it and was clueless - a couple of us tried setting it up, but took half a ride before we realised we were idiots and the shock pulled, not pushed - poor person was riding with no travel.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Zesty for me too. I prefer the spec of the bike, and the fact it doesn't use crazy OEM shocks. Its a big investment, I prefer it where I can guarantee a longevity and upgrade path.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • although i've not ridden one, a few of my mates have had zesty's, some loved them, some not so much, one hated his and he was quite a slower rider on it, he also said he didn't like the way it jumped compared to an orange 5 he'd previously hired.

so if that's the one you decide on, make sure you get a proper test ride on one
  • cooldad wrote:
    Kirklet wrote:
    uptight arseholes
    Kirklet wrote:
    unhelpful bell ends like you
    Kirklet wrote:
    Cooldad, you're a numpty, I hope the puncture fairy visits you frequently.....
    You are my new heroic keyboard warrior.
    May I suggest counselling?

Look, I know it hurts when people think you're a twonk but I can tell as our defender of forum etiquette this wont have been a one off for you. Instead of being a smart arse, just try simply helping in future. It's really that simple! ;-)
  • You're odd. You just winge.

Forum etiquette would say do a little work yourself with the hope if getting more out as you do not know. You've just been abusive and posted the spec that was to be frank TLDR.

You have a massive budget, there is loads if choice out there. Buy a DH rig.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You're odd. You just winge.

Forum etiquette would say do a little work yourself with the hope if getting more out as you do not know. You've just been abusive and posted the spec that was to be frank TLDR.

You have a massive budget, there is loads if choice out there. Buy a DH rig.
    That's not the OP, just my stalker. Must have seen me in lycra and has the hots for my butt. Just isn't ready to come out of the closet yet.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    No more arguing. Back to the topic. Next person to go OT or flame in this thread will be warned, then banned.
  • Ok please no more replies I don't want this to be just a slagging match, Life is to short!!
  • supersonic
    It won't be a slagging match anymore; please ask questions and they will be answered constructively.
  • Thank you supersonic.
  • cooldad wrote:
    As a general tip - a link to each of the bikes would help people make any comments on spec comparisons and so on without havign to go hunting for themselves.
    This. If you can't be bothered....

This is the sort of nonsense reply you often get when asking a perfectly valid question on this forum. There simply is no need but site admins simply aren't bothered by this type of behaviour/reply and discourages involvement of many people.
  • supersonic
    Have you not read what I just put? The Admins are bothered, which is why I called an end to it. Also, if the admins miss a post, please use the report button. This is the last I want to hear from it in this thread, the next person to post off topic will be banned. Please address the original question.
  • You should buy one of those down hill full suspension bikes, they are awesome, I love mine.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Right, back to the point in hand.

After fumbling through all of the junk that has been written I've managed to assertain the OP wants a FS for about £2500 for general UK based work.

The Norco Lawman mentioned isn't a bad shout.
    Also, I agree with not wanting a pull shock - PITA

If you are not averse to buying direct, go for a Canyon perhaps
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3042#tab-reiter2 or http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3032#tab-reiter2 depending on travel wanted.
    Yes I would 'big up' the Canyon after owning one, but they really are good value.

Also why not try the Ghost AMR 7500; it did well in the recent MBUK groupstest

If you want to stick to the original 3, my vote would be for the Lappiere, however this is only off spec, for I hav not ridden any of the three
  • Hi all, I am looking at buying a full suspension, my height is 185cm or 6' 2" ish, weight 13 stone 2lb ish and have what I call normal reach/ arm lenght.

The bikes I'm looking at are all 2012 models they are as follows:

Scott Genius 30 Large
    Cannondale Jekyll 3 Large
    Lapierre zesty 514

Can anybody give me their thoughts of the above bikes whats good whats not? What needs upgrading? etc

Many thanks.

Well I've now purchased my new bike and its excellent, I bought a 2013 Lapierre Zesty 714, I upgraded some part when I ordered from Plymouth Cycle Scene fantastic service from them, I can recommend them for all your cycle needs.

Cycle scene done a fantastic deal when I upgraded!!

Parts upgraded are:

Easton Haven alloy bars to Haven carbon
    XT Shifters to XTR
    SLX front mech to XTR
    XT chainset to XTR.
    Changed from tubed to tubeless (this comes with all parts needed apart from sealant)
    Also had XTR trail SPD pedals fitted.

The whole bike weighs just over 26lbs!

This bike not only looks fantastic it rides really well very pleased.