Does anyone have a bad word to say about Canyon bikes?

2»

Comments

• Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Crozza wrote:
    ben16v wrote:
    i heard this weekend that apperently some bike shops are refusing to service them as they cut out the middle man etc oh well i`ll just have to spanner my bike myself
    Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face !? Surely they make more money from servicing than selling a new bike. That is revenue that they are missing out on, compounding the loss from not selling the bike in the first place. I can't see the logic....!?!?

I'd be very surprised - I've never heard these rumours about Planet X bikes, Ribble or indeed any of the custom brands where you buy direct fromn the factory (Rourke, Enigma etc).

like you say, why deny yourself the revenue stream, especially in these tough times

You may not see the logic and you may be surprised but if you are in my town and want a Campag equipped bike sorting from the likes of Canyon, Ribble etc you better work out how to do it yourself. The only LBS in town who has Campag experience is 'old school' and bluntly tells you to take your bike to whoever sold you it to get it serviced/fixed. I even saw him turning away a middle aged lady who wanted two new tires, incl. fitting for a Pinnacle (Evans) hybrid!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • bickers wrote:
    Should I go for the
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

That is the £3,500 Question?

My gut instinct is to opt for the Shimano as that is what I'm used to but interested in opinions?
    Or should I stick to my original plan which is the Cube Litening?
    Wished I hadn't seen this thread now ;)

Got to say, i was a little unsure of the switch to campag record but it is very good! I went with the 2012 9.0 pro model in the outlet (record and SLR wheels) so it was £2700 instead. The only thing i have liked from the new version is the internal cables the extra weight loss on a bike already under 7kg is beyond me and even if the new frame is improved the 2012 one gets amazing reviews and is much better than i am riding it. So the saving was well worth it for me. And its fricking lovely!

Very tempting price and 11 speed a bonus. My finger hovered over the button but I think I'd rather a 2013.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Crozza wrote:

I am used to Shimano too, but DA is now 11-speed so I don't think it will be compatible with my existing wheels etc.
    for that reason, faced with the same quandary I am going to go for the SL - plus it's the lightest :wink:

Mmm and you get the R-Sys wheels. I quite fancy the 11 speed but 245gms :)

I think I need a bit more time to ponder :?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Coach H wrote:
    [ The only LBS in town who has Campag experience is 'old school' and bluntly tells you to take your bike to whoever sold you it to get it serviced/fixed. I even saw him turning away a middle aged lady who wanted two new tires, incl. fitting for a Pinnacle (Evans) hybrid!

he doesn't sound "old school", he sounds like a "prick"!

I picked up my Boardman hybrid (bought from Halfords) from my LBS yesterday and there was a PX in the workstand! It cost me £75 in parts and labour - not sure why any business wouldn't want that, especially at the moment. why lose out twice, on the sale and the service - if you believe that the LBSs maken thin margins on sales then the service element may be more profitable for them
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i agree and havent heard it from the horses mouth, just heresay but if its true then stupid LBS as i wouldnt spend another penny on anything if i had been refused a service!
    i need more bikes
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Everyone will have one.
  • Crozza wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    [ The only LBS in town who has Campag experience is 'old school' and bluntly tells you to take your bike to whoever sold you it to get it serviced/fixed. I even saw him turning away a middle aged lady who wanted two new tires, incl. fitting for a Pinnacle (Evans) hybrid!

he doesn't sound "old school", he sounds like a "prick"!

I picked up my Boardman hybrid (bought from Halfords) from my LBS yesterday and there was a PX in the workstand! It cost me £75 in parts and labour - not sure why any business wouldn't want that, especially at the moment. why lose out twice, on the sale and the service - if you believe that the LBSs maken thin margins on sales then the service element may be more profitable for them

If the only LBS in town refuses to dance then it opens up an opportunity for someone to start a place that will do the servicing, and should make it pay if the work is there. That's what economics is all about. If he had any real business sense he'd do the work but charge premium prices knowing this, that is the difference between a businessman and a stubborn, bitter fool doing himself out of work.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    That's what happened in Herne Hill where I live. LBS wouldn't service kids bikes especially that not bought from them and then other bikes too. They only sold ridgeback and Bromptons. They lost our trade and that of our friends and neighbours. New LBS opened up and they are doing great. Completely different approach , no job or bike too small and we are all much happier having a local friendly LBS.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Amazing what good customer service does!
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    The frame colours are not good. Too many sheeple are buying frames which are mainly black in colour. It will be the equivalent to the white sock syndrome soon.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • So what? If that's what people want then what does it matter. Who are you to say what people should & should not buy. Some people just like black bikes, me included. I also have a red one & a white one. Is that ok with you?

I think you need to get over yourself Slack. They're only bikes you know!
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    Slack wrote:
    The frame colours are not good.
    How on earth can a frame colour be good or bad? It's not an intrinsic moral quality!
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    it's called fashion. Your'e probably just bitter because you cant afford to buy one ;)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    bickers wrote:
    Should I go for the
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

That is the £3,500 Question?

My gut instinct is to opt for the Shimano as that is what I'm used to but interested in opinions?
    Or should I stick to my original plan which is the Cube Litening?
    Wished I hadn't seen this thread now ;)

Got to say, i was a little unsure of the switch to campag record but it is very good! I went with the 2012 9.0 pro model in the outlet (record and SLR wheels) so it was £2700 instead. The only thing i have liked from the new version is the internal cables the extra weight loss on a bike already under 7kg is beyond me and even if the new frame is improved the 2012 one gets amazing reviews and is much better than i am riding it. So the saving was well worth it for me. And its fricking lovely!
    You forget to mention the 2013 model has different geometry, which won't suit everyone, including me unfortunately
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Eyeing up the Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL.

I have a 2010 CF pro and 2009 AL Ultimate currently.

Love 'em both.
  • Do it! Complete your Canyon fleet...
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    I do love Canyon bikes.
    However, I really think the UK customer side it is a hit and miss. Sometimes they can be very good but others can be very rude and doesn't feel they are professional enough.
    Also they do warn you about the geometry being very pro race so if you want something a bit more relaxing then you need to look at other bikes.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Anyone got a link to a geometry chart of the 2013 road models - I'm sure it's on the website somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Ignore that - found it.

Haha - if you specify a compact it comes with an extra cm of spacers and a shorter stem - clearly if you can't push 52*11 you are aren't going to want a race position.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • giant_man
    The 2013 framesets are available to order now

https://www.canyon.com/_en/service/news ... ml?nt=3692
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    giant man wrote:

Oh dear that's £1609 I'm about to spend :oops:

Edit - Week 25 delivery! Bloody hell that is next June!
  • My frameset will be despstched in 48hrs! Should have it some time this week. **licks lip in eager anticipation**
  • giant_man
    yeah, thats the only problem, having to wait that long.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    giant man wrote:

Oh dear that's £1609 I'm about to spend :oops:

Edit - Week 25 delivery! Bloody hell that is next June!

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/sponsoring.html

Worth buying a British Cycling racing licence for £32 to save the best part of £250, even if you don't enter a race...
  • http://ricamestre.wixsite.com/thecanyonexperience
    This site wil give some answers!
  • Back end of last year when I was considering one they bumped the price up overnight without warning. They described it as the new 2017 model but it was identical to the 2016 in every way from what was communicated on the website. I think some people suggested it was a reaction to Brexit but I can't trust a company who pull that kind of trick. Not even a new paint job to differentiate it from the 2016 model and no 2016 sales models discounted.

Sure it's a lovely bike if you get one any time near their anticipated delivery date.