Does anyone have a bad word to say about Canyon bikes?

MBCaad8
MBCaad8 Posts: 127
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Trying to find a reason not to get an Ultimate CF SLX. Anyone on here aware of any negatives I should be aware of before making final decision?

Thanks
MB

Comments

• You'll have to wait for it to be delivered, currently March
    In March everyone will have one, no good if you like exclusivity.
    They don't do the SLX Team in stealth colour scheme, only Katusha.

The obvious stuff with distance selling.

Think that's it.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Apart from the above. If you want to be really picky, then :

Limited choice of stem given head tube sizing.
    With the height of the Acros Headset it is quite difficult to get a really aggressive frontal position, if that's your thing.

Other than that I am struggling. Some people are a bit unsure about the open top of the headset, but in the summer this is a great place to put an ice-cream cornet.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I don't like the fact they've changed the geometry on the CF SLX from 52-54-56 etc to S-M-L etc. This limits riders of disproportioned body dimensions.

I believe you can change the size of stem and width of bars when ordering btw.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Geometry not great if you are short in the legs and arms but long in the torso (like me!) but still workable you just end up with a short seatpost. Head tube length on Goemetry Charts does not give accurate indication of stem height (ie higher than HT measurement would suggest)

Otherwise great, my Ultimate CF is very good indeed.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    No, Canyon are grand.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Mccaria wrote:
    Other than that I am struggling. Some people are a bit unsure about the open top of the headset, but in the summer this is a great place to put an ice-cream cornet.

They do an optional cover to close the open top, think I paid €9 for it when I ordered mine.

Love my ultimate cf slx, think its a great bike. The only thing I would ding canyon for is the lack of flexibility when you order (you can't really change or upgrade anything) and the UK office customer service (which is fairly poor). However the products are great and you get a lot for your money. I always point all my friends there.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    my frame went back for a warranty replacement in mid august and it took them 6 weeks to get it back to me. wasn't too fussed cos i ended up with a replacement frame but some would have a proper tantrum about that.

they also organised the courier to pick it up so there was nil cost to me and no faff
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:
    my frame went back for a warranty replacement in mid august and it took them 6 weeks to get it back to me. wasn't too fussed cos i ended up with a replacement frame but some would have a proper tantrum about that.

they also organised the courier to pick it up so there was nil cost to me and no faff

I can see how the wait might bother some, but I don't think thats too bad, given it went back in summer and all. Good to hear.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I've only ever heard very mild complaints about them. Usually along communication lines but people tend to forget they're dealing with non-native English speakers a lot of the time. So have an open mind in that respect. If grammar bugs you... (yup, I too am amazed at how small minded some people can be!)

Lead times can be fairly long, but then again you can wait months for a top end Colnago, Wilier, Time e.t.c. It's not a problem exclusive to Canyon and in my experience if they can get the stock quicker, they send it out earlier than initially quoted.

Just make sure it fits... another common complaint is 'it doesn't fit, now they want me to pay to send it back'. Rightly so. Educate yourself as to your ideal fit beforehand like any reasonable person would before dropping £00's/000's on a bike.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    I've only ever heard very mild complaints about them. Usually along communication lines but people tend to forget they're dealing with non-native English speakers a lot of the time. So have an open mind in that respect. If grammar bugs you... (yup, I too am amazed at how small minded some people can be!)

My problem was with Canyon UK - a UK person with no language issues at all...apart from being extremely rude and unhelpful (imo). When I spoke to Germany direct my issue was resolved very quickly and politely, despite the language barrier.

The product so far has been excellent, so no complaints there.
  • giant_man
    +1 - I have to agree - Conrad, the uk contact, or whatever his name is, comes across as not really having a clue, plus the fact I have 2 or 3 unanswered emails .... for a 'quality' brand, or at least getting to be that way, with good pricing, they need someone with better people skills imo
  • stueys
    giant man wrote:
    +1 - I have to agree - Conrad, the uk contact, or whatever his name is, comes across as not really having a clue, plus the fact I have 2 or 3 unanswered emails .... for a 'quality' brand, or at least getting to be that way, with good pricing, they need someone with better people skills imo

Ditto, UK seem to have no real clue. If you can talk to Germany the experience is far, far better.
  • n1ckster
    n1ckster Posts: 158
    Has anyone applied for this??

http://bit.ly/QPwaJC

Nick
  • giant_man
    that would explain some things ...
  • stueys
    giant man wrote:
    that would explain some things ...

Though this would leave us struggling for negative points again....
  • Negative - its such a nice bike that i dont want to get it dirty. :)
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    I've had my Ultimate CF Pro for about 3 years now....I'm not planning on buying another bike for along time yet !!
    Love it just as much now as i did when i first got it. Always get alot of comments on it.

RichB.
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • Just pushed the button on the Ultimate CF EVO frameset!! Found the last 54 in the reduced outlet section, now i just hope it's the right size! I'm 5'10 & have 32.5 inseam & am usually between sizes & the Ultimates headtube is shorter than my Roubaix & C2C. The online sizing facility suggested a 54 but i know some have found this unreliable. Anyone else have a 54 with similar dimensions?
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Only negative I can think of is that for TT bikes at least, the fit calculator is rubbish. At 5'10 it had me on an XS, ended up buying a M and it fits fine - could possibly have squeezed on a Small, but the XS would have been like riding a child's bike.

The wait times can be long, but then you know that upfront, so no issue from my perspective.

Otherwise faultless.
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    Just pushed the button on the Ultimate CF EVO frameset!! Found the last 54 in the reduced outlet section, now i just hope it's the right size! I'm 5'10 & have 32.5 inseam & am usually between sizes & the Ultimates headtube is shorter than my Roubaix & C2C. The online sizing facility suggested a 54 but i know some have found this unreliable. Anyone else have a 54 with similar dimensions?

I have a 54. I'm 5'9" (and a 1/2!) and as long as you don't have excessively long legs, torso, short legs etc etc. it should fit you perfectly. I had to swap out the 90mm for a 100mm stem though as the reach was a little short.

My experience with them have been very good and in my experience they allow for modifications, even after purchase. They agreed to swap the stem free of charge once I'd received the bike as long as I paid for postage and it wasn't damaged. I recently had a fork warranty replacement and they sorted that within about 3-4 weeks. I think they may have sprayed the forks to match (older orange accent model) so not a bad turn around. Also had to have a headset replaced some time ago. They didn't even charge me for it, even though it wasn't a warranty claim and they sent me the full headset as opposed to only the collar section I needed.

All good in my experience.
  • Should I go for the
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

That is the £3,500 Question?

My gut instinct is to opt for the Shimano as that is what I'm used to but interested in opinions?
    Or should I stick to my original plan which is the Cube Litening?
    Wished I hadn't seen this thread now ;)
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Just pushed the button on the Ultimate CF EVO frameset!! Found the last 54 in the reduced outlet section, now i just hope it's the right size! I'm 5'10 & have 32.5 inseam & am usually between sizes & the Ultimates headtube is shorter than my Roubaix & C2C. The online sizing facility suggested a 54 but i know some have found this unreliable. Anyone else have a 54 with similar dimensions?

I'm a little under 5'9" with shortish legs and long torso/arms. I tested a friend's 52cm CF last week and it's the right size for me with a 120mm stem. I suspect it'd be too small (and low) for you and the 54 would be the right one.
  • Should I go for the
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

My gut instinct is to opt for the Shimano as that is what I'm used to but interested in opinions?

Got to say, i was a little unsure of the switch to campag record but it is very good! I went with the 2012 9.0 pro model in the outlet (record and SLR wheels) so it was £2700 instead. The only thing i have liked from the new version is the internal cables the extra weight loss on a bike already under 7kg is beyond me and even if the new frame is improved the 2012 one gets amazing reviews and is much better than i am riding it. So the saving was well worth it for me. And its fricking lovely!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Should I go for the
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0
    Or
    Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 SL

I am used to Shimano too, but DA is now 11-speed so I don't think it will be compatible with my existing wheels etc.
    for that reason, faced with the same quandary I am going to go for the SL - plus it's the lightest :wink:
  • n1ckster wrote:
    Has anyone applied for this??

http://bit.ly/QPwaJC

Nick

Ooohh, KoT - my neck of the woods. I wonder if they are planning on opening a showroom in the UK as well...? Now THAT would be a massive positive for all those that still feel uneasy about spending £000's without having actually ridden the thing... like me for example.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Thanks all for your helpful answers, i feel reassured about it now!

Saw that advert in BikeBiz. Sadly by the time i saw it the application closing date had passed, otherwise i would have definately applied!
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i heard this weekend that apperently some bike shops are refusing to service them as they cut out the middle man etc oh well i`ll just have to spanner my bike myself
    i need more bikes
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I took a trip to Koblenz to have a look in person and have to say they whole range is very impressive and the cf & slx ride like a dream however this year I'm going with a cervelo frameset upgrade, next year will be a record slx.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • ben16v wrote:
    i heard this weekend that apperently some bike shops are refusing to service them as they cut out the middle man etc oh well i`ll just have to spanner my bike myself
    Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face !? Surely they make more money from servicing than selling a new bike. That is revenue that they are missing out on, compounding the loss from not selling the bike in the first place. I can't see the logic....!?!?
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    ben16v wrote:
    Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face !? Surely they make more money from servicing than selling a new bike. That is revenue that they are missing out on, compounding the loss from not selling the bike in the first place. I can't see the logic....!?!?

I'd be very surprised - I've never heard these rumours about Planet X bikes, Ribble or indeed any of the custom brands where you buy direct fromn the factory (Rourke, Enigma etc).

like you say, why deny yourself the revenue stream, especially in these tough times