Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    Octopus have been pretty good, they contact you every month for a meter reading.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    awavey said:

on a similar but different theme i used to work for an energy company and a new customer had to be with them for 3 years before they broke even (assuming they rolled onto the standard tariff at the end of their initial fixed term deal) on them due to the low price of non standard tariffs.

dont talk to me about bloody energy companies, grrr, switch to our deal youll save money, okie dokey, 6months later, were upping your direct debits because we estimate we need more of your money to earn interest on so we can make more profit, sorry our computer estimates youll have used twice as much energy as your meter readings are actually telling us, oh and we wont give you a refund unless theres more than 25 pound in credit in your account, unless you leave, but you cant leave unless you pay 50 pound to break your deal.

yes, will be swapping away from them as soon as I can
    get a smart meter!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited December 2019
    awavey said:

on a similar but different theme i used to work for an energy company and a new customer had to be with them for 3 years before they broke even (assuming they rolled onto the standard tariff at the end of their initial fixed term deal) on them due to the low price of non standard tariffs.

dont talk to me about bloody energy companies, grrr, switch to our deal youll save money, okie dokey, 6months later, were upping your direct debits because we estimate we need more of your money to earn interest on so we can make more profit, sorry our computer estimates youll have used twice as much energy as your meter readings are actually telling us, oh and we wont give you a refund unless theres more than 25 pound in credit in your account, unless you leave, but you cant leave unless you pay 50 pound to break your deal.

Was with Ovo about 3 or 4 years back. Was able to keep taking money out on the web-site whenever I though they were sat on too much of my money as long as they had a full month in advance. Recently left Avro who were OK price wise but no ability to control what they took. It took 7 full weeks to get back the nearly £300 they were sat on after I left. Including the final payment taken 2 days before my switch happened despite being healthily in credit.
    Currently with Bulb on a flexible but very competitive tariff. So far so good, a bit of a gamble but I liked their ethos of one sensible tariff and none of the b*******.
  • Pross
    Bright white lights on Christmas trees, bonus annoyance if they are flashing and double bonus annoyance when they are outside causing a distraction when I'm driving.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Pross said:

Octopus have been pretty good, they contact you every month for a meter reading.

I think for some (perhaps most?) you can volunteer a reading every month if you want. Certainly possible on EDF.

Whenever my tariff runs out, they offer me a new one. I usually check around to if there's anything different but then sign up for the new one via Meerkats, I'm really enjoying regular trips to the cinema, we go during the day now that we've retired :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• awavey said:

get a smart meter!
    If you live somewhere that interest rates are high enough for them to bother about cash then inflation is probably high and prepaying for fuel is probably a benefit to you.
  • chris_bass

awavey said:

get a smart meter!
    If you live somewhere that interest rates are high enough for them to bother about cash then inflation is probably high and prepaying for fuel is probably a benefit to you.
    it is changing but prepay meters are often on a standard tariff - can be ok if you have low consumption but not usually a good thing for bigger houses - it is also quite tricky to get your energy supplier to install one and they'll probably charge you to do it.

you can submit meter reads as often as you like - for them to be used in your bill they have to be within a couple of weeks of the billing date. this is what people don't understand. they say they submit meter reads yet get estimated bills but it is probably because they didn't do one when they need to. If you get a smart meter then it just takes away the need to submit any meter reads. you can even opt out of them being able to use the information for anything other than billing if you want to get all tin foil hat about what they are likely to do with the info.
  • chris_bass
    Where i work we having flexible working - this applies to both hours and location (within reason).

my boss is not well yet he has come to work and is sat next to me - his present to me this Christmas will probably be a horrible cold for the whole time i have off!!

why did he come in? why not work from home!!!!!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    morstar said:

Currently with Bulb on a flexible but very competitive tariff. So far so good, a bit of a gamble but I liked their ethos of one sensible tariff and none of the b*******.

Funny that - I switched to Bulb recently through U switch. Was easy as ABC and Bulb place a lot of emphasis on renewables.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I was watching The Crown last night, I might very well be wrong but they appeared to have crossed the Glenfinnan Viaduct on their way to somewhere in Scotland, then popped down to the shops in Peebles. I must have got something wrong there or that would be very trivially annoying.

Also, they were all sitting about by a pool but there were no leaves on the trees, if that was Scotland they would all be dead.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    edited December 2019
    I’ve sat by the pool in Canada, in winter, in snow.
    Diving in the pool was like a reverse sauna.
    Quite invigorating.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenm
    pblakeney said:

I’ve sat by the pool in Canada, in winter, in snow.
    Diving in the pool was like a reverse sauna.
    Quite invigorating.

I've been out in the snow after a sauna in the Alps but I didn't look half as comfortable as Helena Bonham Carter fawning over semi naked blokes in a Scottish winter.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    haydenm said:

I was watching The Crown last night, I might very well be wrong but they appeared to have crossed the Glenfinnan Viaduct on their way to somewhere in Scotland, then popped down to the shops in Peebles.

Mary Queen of Scots is a good movie, but I lost count of how many times people travelled from Edinburgh to England via Glencoe.
  • haydenm

haydenm said:

I was watching The Crown last night, I might very well be wrong but they appeared to have crossed the Glenfinnan Viaduct on their way to somewhere in Scotland, then popped down to the shops in Peebles.

Mary Queen of Scots is a good movie, but I lost count of how many times people travelled from Edinburgh to England via Glencoe.

I'm not Scottish but it often surprises me the lack of knowledge all ignorant southerners have. It is definitely the same in reverse sometimes but I increasingly find myself getting annoyed at friends and family from down south (where everyone is obviously the same) for saying things like 'Oh our friends live in Scotland' as if I might have bumped into them down the pub and Scotland isn't 32% for the total UK landmass. It takes me longer to get to John O Groats than it does to get home to Bristol so you'll have to be a tad more specific. Bloody southerners
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    haydenm said:

haydenm said:

I'm not Scottish but it often surprises me the lack of knowledge all ignorant southerners have. It is definitely the same in reverse sometimes but I increasingly find myself getting annoyed at friends and family from down south (where everyone is obviously the same) for saying things like 'Oh our friends live in Scotland' as if I might have bumped into them down the pub and Scotland isn't 32% for the total UK landmass. It takes me longer to get to John O Groats than it does to get home to Bristol so you'll have to be a tad more specific. Bloody southerners
    Brizzle is home to me too. Left for the last time 32 years ago!
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    It's not just Scotland. I always get cross when they show movement across London and how it makes no sense in reality.

The worst was in Sherlock (where supposedly detail is everything) and they were talking about (can't remember precisely) but getting from Pimlico to Chancery Lane on the Underground being 3 stops.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698

haydenm said:

haydenm said:

Lush. :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • haydenm

haydenm said:

haydenm said:

If I'm happy-drunk my Brizzle accent comes out which is always entertaining, unfortunately no one I work with up here has a Scottish accent so they all still look down on me like some sort of peasant. ;)

I was back down the week before last and it makes me realise just how nice a place it really is, rather than just misplaced 'home is better than anywhere else' like the OH's friends think about Hull....
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946

but I lost count of how many times people travelled from Edinburgh to England via Glencoe.

A bit like Poldark.

They didn't live by the sea (close perhaps but up the cliffs at least), so why did every journey to Truro involve a ride along the beach? :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• pblakeney
    edited December 2019
    Ousted MPs being eligible for up to a £31k pay off (£30k tax free), plus 2 months salary £8400, plus £54k to wind up, plus a pension boost, natch, all for getting booted out.
    All while being free to capitalise on their "second jobs".
    Please, can I get sacked on similar terms?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

Ousted MPs being eligible for up to a £31k pay off (£30k tax free), plus 2 months salary £8400, plus £54k to wind up, plus a pension boost, natch, all for getting booted out.

If you had to put in between £30K and £100K of your own money into the job 'interview', you'd want some decent terms for redundancy without notice. You can always stand if you fancy it.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Brizzle? What a hole.

Ever seen Quadrophenia?

"Look, there's Brighton"

Err no, Eastbourne with it's single pier from the beachy head road.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2019
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

If you had to put in between £30K and £100K of your own money into the job 'interview', you'd want some decent terms for redundancy without notice. You can always stand if you fancy it.
    Fair point, well made.
    Always thought funds came from the party.
    Explains why they are usually to type though.
    New annoyance, politics is set up for the rich only to apply. (Generally).
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    The continuing inability of interviewers to understand the Tory pledge of having 50,000 new nurses. Hancock just did a good job of explaining the difference between nett and gross to Dan Walker who seemed incapable of grasping it and kept going on about it not being 50,000 new nurses and saying that Hancock wasn't answering the question. I think the problem is the media and Labour brought the word new into the equation which was never part of the original pledge.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

The continuing inability of interviewers to understand the Tory pledge of having 50,000 new nurses. Hancock just did a good job of explaining the difference between nett and gross to Dan Walker who seemed incapable of grasping it and kept going on about it not being 50,000 new nurses and saying that Hancock wasn't answering the question. I think the problem is the media and Labour brought the word new into the equation which was never part of the original pledge.

Well, no. what the Tory's kept talking about was 50,000 "more" nurses and there clearly won't be.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    How best to describe the difference between 330,000 and 280,000? 50,000 more is causing problems.
  • rjsterry
    Still barely fills the existing vacancies.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    elbowloh said:

Pross said:

Well, no. what the Tory's kept talking about was 50,000 "more" nurses and there clearly won't be.
    There clearly will be. The intention is to go from 280,000 to 330,000. That is 50,000 more in anyone's books. At the moment all new recruitment is used up replacing those leaving (although apparently numbers have slightly increased). So by better staff retention those new nurses are now going towards an increase in staff numbers instead.

That said, Boris yet again showed his mouth works faster than his brain on the footage from the Cabinet meeting where he asked in his ridiculous, over-the-top play to the cameras 'and how many new nurses are we going to have' so that doesn't help!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

How best to describe the difference between 330,000 and 280,000? 50,000 more is causing problems.

Would imagine, as the nurses who he met on the campaign highlighted, the bigger issue will be where the nurses will be coming from.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Would imagine, as the nurses who he met on the campaign highlighted, the bigger issue will be where the nurses will be coming from.
    A very valid question, but not the one that gets asked. The Philippines has a surplus, or at least did.