Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

1512513515517518525

Posts

  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,144 Lives Here
    Fairly sure most train lines ditched automatic delay-repay.

    The *all London Terminals* season ticket I buy in Cambridge station is through Greater Anglia but the train I often get is the Great Northern line (which my ticket allows me to get on).

    Alas that causes a whole myriad of problems when it comes to delay repay.

    The only silver lining is I know that all the hours of dealing with my complaints is costing them *even more*.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,814
    The Virgin train I took wasn't on their system to claim for despite the trains either side appearing. It's almost like it's deliberate to stop people claiming...

    Obviously the money I reclaim will go back to the company as they paid my tickets through expenses
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 8,359
    rjsterry said:

    Pross said:

    Police motorcades. Can't think of anyone or anything that requires one.

    Moving high security prisoners? Taking nuclear materials from site to site? Professional bike races, anything that needs junctions cleared to avoid stopping basically.
    They seem like reasonable excuses, but not in central London.
    You don't think a senior cabinet minister crawling through umpteen sets of traffic lights might be a bit of a target?
    I don't think senior cabinet ministers get police motorcades.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,857
    Meanwhile: Mrs Bomp, on the train Glasgow - Manchester last might, sent me a pic of passengers wrapped in the foil blankets the staff were handing out.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 15,570

    rjsterry said:

    Pross said:

    Police motorcades. Can't think of anyone or anything that requires one.

    Moving high security prisoners? Taking nuclear materials from site to site? Professional bike races, anything that needs junctions cleared to avoid stopping basically.
    They seem like reasonable excuses, but not in central London.
    You don't think a senior cabinet minister crawling through umpteen sets of traffic lights might be a bit of a target?
    I don't think senior cabinet ministers get police motorcades.
    Dunno. Wikipedia seems to think it's senior ministers + royals who get them. Almost got deafened by them in Streatham this morning (no minister or royal, just the bikes + sirens).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,144 Lives Here
    edited December 2019
    The outriders on the motorcades could be less aggressive, but then I have authority issues.

    I sort of object to being screamed at by a rozzer for no reason in particular other than the guy being in a hurry.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,128
    Managed to get 2 delay repay for the same journey last year. The original train was cancelled and then the next available one that was from another operator was running half an hour late so claimed off both operators.
  • rjsterry said:

    rjsterry said:

    Pross said:

    Police motorcades. Can't think of anyone or anything that requires one.

    Moving high security prisoners? Taking nuclear materials from site to site? Professional bike races, anything that needs junctions cleared to avoid stopping basically.
    They seem like reasonable excuses, but not in central London.
    You don't think a senior cabinet minister crawling through umpteen sets of traffic lights might be a bit of a target?
    I don't think senior cabinet ministers get police motorcades.
    Dunno. Wikipedia seems to think it's senior ministers + royals who get them. Almost got deafened by them in Streatham this morning (no minister or royal, just the bikes + sirens).
    The SEG who do the royal escorts don't have sirens on their bikes, just blue lights, whistles and shouting.
    I used to see the a fair bit when I worked around the south bank. It's pretty impressive the way they use 2 or 3 bikes leapfrogging ahead to ensure that the escorted vehicle just keeps on going at a steady pace but without needing to stop.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,144 Lives Here
    edited December 2019
    Yes, they're the shouty ones I can't stand.

    Proles need to know their place, innit.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 15,570
    "Excuse me. Sorry to bother you, but would you mind awfully if you pulled over to the side for just a minute so that we can get this ministerial car through? Thank you so much; much obliged." 😂
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • TheBigBeanTheBigBean Posts: 8,359
    rjsterry said:

    "Excuse me. Sorry to bother you, but would you mind awfully if you pulled over to the side for just a minute so that we can get this ministerial car through? Thank you so much; much obliged." 😂

    No. Just follow the same road rules as everyone else including the rich, famous and poor. It's a pointless exercise in ego massaging.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,337
    VERY trivial but still. Why do sports fans watch "their" team win a game then go around seemingly bragging about how "WE" won, when they had nothing to do with it?
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 9,975
    It could be argued that "they" paid to financially support the team and therefore make it strong enough to win the game.
    Tenuous, but possible.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,814
    dennisn said:

    VERY trivial but still. Why do sports fans watch "their" team win a game then go around seemingly bragging about how "WE" won, when they had nothing to do with it?

  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,337
    haydenm said:

    dennisn said:

    VERY trivial but still. Why do sports fans watch "their" team win a game then go around seemingly bragging about how "WE" won, when they had nothing to do with it?

    That would be me.
  • mfinmfin Posts: 6,644
    edited December 2019
    Tom Jones - a voice with all the subtlety and dynamics of an air horn and the emotional delivery of a foghorn. He's famous for just a small handful of bellowed out completely shít songs and yet people mistakenly buy into him being some kind of music royalty.

    That's what it should say on Wikipedia.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,857
    I sometimes think there are quite a lot of threads onBR (maybe that should be the whole internet) that could be amalgamated with the title "Everyone is a morally bankrupt fool with poor artistic taste who is wrong about everything. Except me."
  • pblakeneypblakeney Posts: 9,975

    I sometimes think there are quite a lot of threads onBR (maybe that should be the whole internet) that could be amalgamated with the title "Everyone is a morally bankrupt fool with poor artistic taste who is wrong about everything. Except me."

    You could not possibly be more wrong!
    How do I know so? Because I say so. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 5,451
    edited December 2019
    This 'kin font enlargement on quotes. Wtf? Got no geeks to sort out this censored Immediate Meejah? Or is it/she/he prioritised on swear filtering?

    And answered immediately with s h 1 t getting blocked. Sheesh.

    And now uncensored on edit. 😳
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,144 Lives Here

    I sometimes think there are quite a lot of threads onBR (maybe that should be the whole internet) that could be amalgamated with the title "Everyone is a morally bankrupt fool with poor artistic taste who is wrong about everything. Except me."

    Yeah but the alternative that no one is unique and we’re all basically the same is a fairly grim way of seeing the world.
  • rjsterryrjsterry Posts: 15,570

    I sometimes think there are quite a lot of threads onBR (maybe that should be the whole internet) that could be amalgamated with the title "Everyone is a morally bankrupt fool with poor artistic taste who is wrong about everything. Except me."

    Yeah but the alternative that no one is unique and we’re all basically the same is a fairly grim way of seeing the world.
    Grim? It's sorting the world into us and them that is the root of many of the world's problems.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    1980s BSA 10sp

    Liberal metropolitan, remoaner, traitor, "sympathiser", etc.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,460
    mfin said:

    Tom Jones - a voice with all the subtlety and dynamics of an air horn and the emotional delivery of a foghorn. He's famous for just a small handful of bellowed out completely shít songs and yet people mistakenly buy into him being some kind of music royalty.

    That's what it should say on Wikipedia.

    I quite agree. At least Englebert H could sing.

    @orraloon: looky: shyte, shite...

    You see?!
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,128
    Being told by the accountant that does our company payroll that he can't email me my P11D due to GDPR rules but can either post it or I can get my MD to access it and print or for me. Neither of those options seem to protect my data more than him emailing it and if I ask for my data to be emailed surely GDPR would allow it to be sent in the way I've requested?

    I'm surprised it hasn't been posted to me as a matter of course as it has at all the previous places I've worked.

    I also add the regular emails from HMRC that my tax assessment is due and offering me help to complete it. It's not due until 31 January, I've been getting emails for at least a month already.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,857
    Pross said:

    GDPR

    FTFY

    Or to be a little more accurate, GDPR is annoying, but what is a real pain is over-cautious interpretation due to people having abysmally poor knowledge of what the rules actually are.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,393
    Pross said:

    Being told by the accountant that does our company payroll that he can't email me my P11D due to GDPR rules but can either post it or I can get my MD to access it and print or for me. Neither of those options seem to protect my data more than him emailing it and if I ask for my data to be emailed surely GDPR would allow it to be sent in the way I've requested?

    It won't be GDPR exactly - but more a privacy concern - the form is probably in unprotected PDF.
    GDPR doesn't prevent you from receiving your P11D via email - but company policy may.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,128
    GDPR was the reason they gave. Oddly, they sent it by email last year (it was password protected).
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 44,144 Lives Here

    Pross said:

    GDPR

    FTFY

    Or to be a little more accurate, GDPR is annoying, but what is a real pain is over-cautious interpretation due to people having abysmally poor knowledge of what the rules actually are.
    Legitimate interest ftw
  • webboowebboo Posts: 2,083
    That f*cking advert that pops up in the bottom right hand corner every time I click on a thread.
  • webboo said:

    That f*cking advert that pops up in the bottom right hand corner every time I click on a thread.

    When I view certain websites on other computers that don't have the handy little 'decluttering' add-ons I use on my own devices, I have a bit of a shock...
  • pinnopinno Posts: 37,460
    This site is digital hell without the 'decluttering' software.
    I was reminded of that when I bought a new laptop.
    S - The Brazilian beach volleyball team
    W - Wiggle Honda

    "This year will be harder than last year. But that is good news; this year will be easier than next year."
Sign In or Register to comment.