Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• bobmcstuff wrote:
    Cards are convenient. Nipping into local supermarket for a few items and whizzing through self checkout using contactless is sweet. However, cash still useful and for some a necessity as some won't have credit cards.
    Debit cards work just as well.

It's only people without bank accounts then. Which must be an extremely small percentage of the adult population although it would be very difficult for those people if it was card only.

I don't know figures but it must be 1000s maybe 100ks who don't have bank accounts in UK? So yes % of population small but still quite a few individuals who would be affected by card only society. Personally it'd be fine by me but thinking of others maybe not so.
    How am I supposed to send the kids down the shop for bottle gin and 20 No6?
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Cards are convenient. Nipping into local supermarket for a few items and whizzing through self checkout using contactless is sweet. However, cash still useful and for some a necessity as some won't have credit cards.

It's only people without bank accounts then. Which must be an extremely small percentage of the adult population although it would be very difficult for those people if it was card only.

I don't know figures but it must be 1000s maybe 100ks who don't have bank accounts in UK? So yes % of population small but still quite a few individuals who would be affected by card only society. Personally it'd be fine by me but thinking of others maybe not so.
    How am I supposed to send the kids down the shop for bottle gin and 20 No6?

Do what you usually do and stick it on the tab. :lol:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    I like cash. Taxman don't know, do he?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,554
    orraloon wrote:
    I know now but I promise not to tell :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Was that you on the landline the other day saying you were from "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and we have raised a lawsuit against you.... press 1 to speak to advisor etc etc etc"? Man, there was a lot of verbal abuse coming back from me to a scam recorded message, but made me feel better.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Was that you on the landline the other day saying you were from "Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and we have raised a lawsuit against you.... press 1 to speak to advisor etc etc etc"? Man, there was a lot of verbal abuse coming back from me to a scam recorded message, but made me feel better.
    If you felt like you were being scammed, it probably was HMRC :) I'm one of the good guys who tries to stop people being scammed.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Id hate it, but maybe depends how old you are :( I know how much cash I have on me, how much I take out of the ATM, so know how much Ive been spending, just carding everything no receipt, its a recipe for just carrying on spending outside your ability to pay imo
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I've managed to break an internal door so looking to buy a replacement. Having checked the measurements the existing door is around 1955mm high but the standard size for new doors is 1981mm so I'll have to trim about 25mm off. However, it looks like most doors recommend less than that as a maximum. I'm sure it won't be an issue (other than my DIY carpentry skills are minimal). I assume the discrepancy is due mainly to the flooring but I don't think it anything like that thickness and you'd think they'd build the frame with tolerance for flooring.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Pross wrote:
    I've managed to break an internal door so looking to buy a replacement. Having checked the measurements the existing door is around 1955mm high but the standard size for new doors is 1981mm so I'll have to trim about 25mm off. However, it looks like most doors recommend less than that as a maximum. I'm sure it won't be an issue (other than my DIY carpentry skills are minimal). I assume the discrepancy is due mainly to the flooring but I don't think it anything like that thickness and you'd think they'd build the frame with tolerance for flooring.

More than one layer of flooring?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pross wrote:

Take 13mm off top and bottom if you try to take it all off one end you could end up cutting away the block wood and leaving nothing between the skins presuming it's not solid since it's an internal door -- plus even if it's a solid oak panelled door it could look wrong ie the panels too high. After you hang the door then you'll know where to cut for the lock. That too has only a certain margin of block wood to work with.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,364
    Send the door to me, i'll do it.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Pross
    I think I've managed to repair the door. We'll find out when I screw the hinges back on tomorrow and see if the crack reopens!

• my local butcher is cash only,

...is it a cash cow? :D
  • Lagrange wrote:

my local butcher is cash only,

...is it a cash cow? :D

brilliant :D:D:D
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Cowsham wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Take 13mm off top and bottom if you try to take it all off one end you could end up cutting away the block wood and leaving nothing between the skins presuming it's not solid since it's an internal door -- plus even if it's a solid oak panelled door it could look wrong ie the panels too high. After you hang the door then you'll know where to cut for the lock. That too has only a certain margin of block wood to work with.
    We had a problem with odd sized doors so I replaced all the door frames first.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    "Your package will be delivered in 2-5 business days". This annoys me in two ways. First - what is a business day? Does that include Saturdays because it does for me? Second - if it's business days (as in Mon-Fri) why do you need to hedge your bets so much? You haven't got to worry about weekends or bank holidays in people's mental equations!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

Fwiw I once left a table service bar with no tip because it was genuinely appalling in NYC and the owner literally followed me down the road to ask why I hadn’t paid for service.

We had a bit of a shouting match and left it at that but I was barred from going back.

And you'd want to go back anyway?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Slowbike wrote:

Fwiw I once left a table service bar with no tip because it was genuinely appalling in NYC and the owner literally followed me down the road to ask why I hadn’t paid for service.

We had a bit of a shouting match and left it at that but I was barred from going back.

I had a similar experience in NY 50 yards down the road from the restaurant.
    Did the manager really think that throwing insults around was going to convince me to change my mind? And no, I had no intention of returning.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Pross wrote:

Our house has a few odd sized door frames, and downstairs I've installed some pretty thick engineered oak flooring requiring a bit of door modification. More than once I've planed (cheap, moulded) internal doors top and bottom to leave ludicrously thin strips of wood holding the 2 faces apart. They don't give you an awful lot to play with. Occasionally I've removed the surviving sliver and glued in a chunkier replacement
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Slowbike wrote:

Well no which was why it was left at that. But it illustrates what they see the tip to mean.

It's a bit like bonus pay. It's often not a bonus, but a variable pay component, depending on how well or badly you and/or the firm has done.

A tip in the US, certainly for food, isn't really a tip, but a fee (at your discretion) for table service.
  • Pross
    People lighting a barbecue when their neighbours have washing on the line.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Slowbike wrote:

Well no which was why it was left at that. But it illustrates what they see the tip to mean.

It's a bit like bonus pay. It's often not a bonus, but a variable pay component, depending on how well or badly you and/or the firm has done.

A tip in the US, certainly for food, isn't really a tip, but a fee (at your discretion) for table service.

They are often taxed based on an assumed tip, so if you don't tip anything they are effectively paying to serve you which leads to the grumpy reaction. In other words, if the service is terrible you're supposed to reduce the tip, but still give something.
  • pblakeney
    TheBigBean wrote:
    They are often taxed based on an assumed tip, so if you don't tip anything they are effectively paying to serve you which leads to the grumpy reaction. In other words, if the service is terrible you're supposed to reduce the tip, but still give something.
    Meh. Pay them a proper salary to pay the tax on.
    Nobody tips me for doing my job.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The one thing about cycling that annoys me is a personal thing. Apologies if you're having your brekkie but anyway. Pre ride usually have a dump, put cycling kit on. Go out get bike ready and....inevitably feel need for another dump. So, back in get it sorted then start again. Must be pre ride excitement(pre ride excrement?) or something but annoying get dressed then have to remove bib shorts etc.
  • pblakeney
    The one thing about cycling that annoys me is a personal thing. Apologies if you're having your brekkie but anyway. Pre ride usually have a dump, put cycling kit on. Go out get bike ready and....inevitably feel need for another dump. So, back in get it sorted then start again. Must be pre ride excitement(pre ride excrement?) or something but annoying get dressed then have to remove bib shorts etc.
    Possibly due to the compression effect of cycling kit?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    When you hire a skip out of your own money and find that other people have thrown their rubbish in it.
  • Pross wrote:
    People lighting a barbecue when their neighbours have washing on the line.
    Neighbours leaving washing on the line for days on end.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Restaurants that sell things as sandwiches which cannot be picked up.

The other week I had a crab roll which turned out to be more like an open sandwich except it was actually just a pile of crab with some bread hidden somewhere under it. Or those towering burgers which you have to deconstruct before you can eat them.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I had a similar experience in NY 50 yards down the road from the restaurant.
    Did the manager really think that throwing insults around was going to convince me to change my mind? And no, I had no intention of returning.

you are assuming you were his target audience! all the other people in the restaurant may have thought "we better leave a tip or this nutcase might come after us too!"
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    mfin wrote:
    When you hire a skip out of your own money and find that other people have thrown their rubbish in it.
    I find it's usually the other way around. Especially if you're putting anything made of metal into the skip.