Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• SecretSam wrote:
    People who hold their phones at right angles to their ear when taking a call, so it's horizontal with the ground.
    I mean... WHY?

Probably saw some numbty on The Apprentice doing it so thought it was "cool".
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Pinno wrote:
    How about a border on the central reservation?
    Londoners go anti-clockwise only and the 'aliens' go clockwise.
    I suppose you could then have the motorway services geared up to each side of the border - vegan cafes and artisan coffee shops on the inside loop, Wetherspoons and Maccy D's on the outside.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    US tip culture. Just ******* raise the prices and stop lying about it, pricks.

People who find difficulty in working out percentages.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pinno wrote:

A big wall in the central reservation? And then a large hosepipe?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The wall is a good idea. After all, in true MF style, we will need somewhere to chuck our rubbish.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

And people who can't figure out that it won't change the overall price :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rolf_f
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

The wall is a good idea. After all, in true MF style, we will need somewhere to chuck our rubbish.

So matches rather than the hosepipe? Or a combination of the two?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Thanks, we're a bit short of water. Given the M25 is mostly at the bottom of a cutting that will just give us a moat.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The ride home tonight was to a tight deadline. After dismissing the last class, I basically had an hour and ten minutes to get home.
    It normally takes 10 minutes to sort out the classroom, 15 to get to the changing room, change and get on the bike, and an average of 1:06 (summer) to ride home.
    So I legged it out with the class as soon as the bell went, trampling small first years along the way, rushed to the changing room, focusing intently on the quick change, and with the clock on a lightning 5 minutes I was already striding up the main corridor past the heidie's office.
    Which was exactly where I realised that my shorts were on back to front.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,693
    bompington wrote:
    The ride home tonight was to a tight deadline. After dismissing the last class, I basically had an hour and ten minutes to get home.
    It normally takes 10 minutes to sort out the classroom, 15 to get to the changing room, change and get on the bike, and an average of 1:06 (summer) to ride home.
    So I legged it out with the class as soon as the bell went, trampling small first years along the way, rushed to the changing room, focusing intently on the quick change, and with the clock on a lightning 5 minutes I was already striding up the main corridor past the heidie's office.
    :lol:

Cheered me up. Wrong thread then innit.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    bompington wrote:

More haste more chaffed!
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I can work out 20% fine thanks. It's the rest if the system which is the issue.

It's just dishonest to list prices on a menu when there is a near mandatory 15-20% markup. It also doesn't add anything because you have to tip whether the service was good or not.

I also almost never carry cash any more so it is annoying having to make sure you have a few random dollars around to leave in hotel rooms and so on.

Then if you're British there's often the bit of indecision which comes when you don't know if you are supposed to tip or not (outside restaurants where it's obvious), and then how much to tip in those cases where there is no figure to take a % of.

That's not including the numerous studies which show that the practice is sexist and discriminatory.

They should just pay staff a proper wage and leave tips for genuinely good service.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It's just dishonest to list prices on a menu when there is a near mandatory 15-20% markup. It also doesn't add anything because you have to tip whether the service was good or not.

I also almost never carry cash any more so it is annoying having to make sure you have a few random dollars around to leave in hotel rooms and so on.

Then if you're British there's often the bit of indecision which comes when you don't know if you are supposed to tip or not (outside restaurants where it's obvious), and then how much to tip in those cases where there is no figure to take a % of.

That's not including the numerous studies which show that the practice is sexist and discriminatory.

They should just pay staff a proper wage and leave tips for genuinely good service.

When I lived there I ended up taking menu prices as the food/takeout price.

Almost all normal restaurants there will do take out and they don’t give you a different menu.

So the tip is the price for sitting in there.

You get used to it
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    It's still proven to be sexist, racist and degrading.

It's more confusing for a non native with hotels, valets and porters to be honest though, cos there is no list price to add 20% to.

This is the seemingly trivial things thread though right.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154

Almost all normal restaurants there will do take out and they don’t give you a different menu.

You get used to it
    I've only eaten out once in the US (stopover on a flight), the service was appalling, the bill was for the 'list' price but the waiter just added on 20% when he put it on the card machine.
    We told him to take it off and just left a couple of dollars cash for him.
  • cowsham
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You get used to it

I've never left a tip automatically, but I have on rare occasions where I've appreciated the service enough to merit it and it was genuine thank you but only if I could give it directly to the waiter or whoever I am thanking. It's not automatic so don't expect it from me. If I found it on my bill without my consent there'd be a formal complaint and I'd ask for it back there and then.
  • rick_chasey
    Cowsham wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You get used to it

I've never left a tip automatically, but I have on rare occasions where I've appreciated the service enough to merit it and it was genuine thank you but only if I could give it directly to the waiter or whoever I am thanking. It's not automatic so don't expect it from me. If I found it on my bill without my consent there'd be a formal complaint and I'd ask for it back there and then.

In the states?

Come on mate, these people need to eat themselves.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Cowsham wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

You get used to it

In the states?

Come on mate, these people need to eat themselves.

I found this to be an extremely confusing statement.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

You get used to it
    I've only eaten out once in the US (stopover on a flight), the service was appalling, the bill was for the 'list' price but the waiter just added on 20% when he put it on the card machine.
    We told him to take it off and just left a couple of dollars cash for him.

I've had people add a 'service charge' automatically to my bill in the UK, on one occasion the owner got really snotty when we told him to take it off. We were all completely smashed at the time so potentially less diplomatic than normal...
  • The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever. One classic case was in an airport bar and the service was dire so when we left the tip was minimal, basically the change left from whatever the bill was. Waitress made a sarky remark and so politely got told the reason.

Here in UK I usually do tip unless service poor. Always after haircut as it always pays to keep the guy with a cutthroat in his hand sweet. :D
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever.

They aren't paid properly, they rely on tips. It's not right, but that's why they expect a tip. In my experience, albeit limited, bad service in the US is reserved for people who are @rseholes.

It feels a bit odd to be chucking cash about all the time, but it's not complicated. One or 2 dollars per drink in a bar, a couple for the valet parking person each time they park or bring round your car, bags multiplied by one or two dollars depending on size for the bellhop, 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar in a restaurant, a 10 or a 20 per person for good service on tourist trips - boats, sightseeing etc.
  • rick_chasey
    The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever. One classic case was in an airport bar and the service was dire so when we left the tip was minimal, basically the change left from whatever the bill was. Waitress made a sarky remark and so politely got told the reason.

Here in UK I usually do tip unless service poor. Always after haircut as it always pays to keep the guy with a cutthroat in his hand sweet. :D

How about thinking of it when in the states as not a tip ,but as "paying for the service you otherwise wouldn't have got as you got takeout"

Does that help frame it?

I'm not pro-tipping culture at all, but it's really not difficult to get your head around. Americans do and we all seem to think they're thick as sh!t.

(current evidence suggest the difference is negligible at best however)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    The thing that annoys me more in the States is prices being shown without the tax. It's caught me out a few times when getting to the till. I'm never sure what to offer in a hotel when the bellhop shows you around your room so I generally just take my own bags up to avoid the awkwardness.
  • The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever. One classic case was in an airport bar and the service was dire so when we left the tip was minimal, basically the change left from whatever the bill was. Waitress made a sarky remark and so politely got told the reason.

How about thinking of it when in the states as not a tip ,but as "paying for the service you otherwise wouldn't have got as you got takeout"

Does that help frame it?

I'm not pro-tipping culture at all, but it's really not difficult to get your head around. Americans do and we all seem to think they're thick as sh!t.

Yes but if said service is shite then expecting a tip anyway doesn't sit right.
  • rick_chasey
    The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever. One classic case was in an airport bar and the service was dire so when we left the tip was minimal, basically the change left from whatever the bill was. Waitress made a sarky remark and so politely got told the reason.

Does that help frame it?

So you just want free service?
  • rolf_f

Does that help frame it?

If the employee offering the service is paid a salary then the service isn't free.

The service charge just seems like a recipe for restaurants to generate bad feeling. You think the meal is costing £20 but at the end of the meal you get charged £25. You go home irritated. If the menu had just priced the meal at £25 in the first place you'd have gone home happily. It's just stupid.
  • hopkinb wrote:
    The expectation of a tip/service charge regardless of quality of service is what grates on most people. In the US everyone expects a tip whatever.

They aren't paid properly, they rely on tips. It's not right, but that's why they expect a tip. In my experience, albeit limited, bad service in the US is reserved for people who are @rseholes.

It feels a bit odd to be chucking cash about all the time, but it's not complicated. One or 2 dollars per drink in a bar, a couple for the valet parking person each time they park or bring round your car, bags multiplied by one or two dollars depending on size for the bellhop, 20% rounded up to the nearest dollar in a restaurant, a 10 or a 20 per person for good service on tourist trips - boats, sightseeing etc.

Don't mind tipping, but I find it hard to understand why it should be a percentage of what I spend. How is opening two bottles of expensive wine worthy of of a greater tip as two bottles of cheaper wine?

And how is $10 not a good tip for service because my bill is $100, when the table nextdoor has ordered the same number of dishes and drinks, albeit at a cheaper price?
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:

Does that help frame it?

If the employee offering the service is paid a salary then the service isn't free.

The service charge just seems like a recipe for restaurants to generate bad feeling. You think the meal is costing £20 but at the end of the meal you get charged £25. You go home irritated. If the menu had just priced the meal at £25 in the first place you'd have gone home happily. It's just stupid.

Sure, if.

But they’re not are they?

Anyway, my point was when it’s universal it’s easier to understand.

Fwiw I once left a table service bar with no tip because it was genuinely appalling in NYC and the owner literally followed me down the road to ask why I hadn’t paid for service.

We had a bit of a shouting match and left it at that but I was barred from going back.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think that's the issue. In the UK we regard tips as discretionary, and a reward for good service, and if the service is sh1t we feel justified in leaving no tip at all. Well I do anyway.

In the US it's no longer that. It's just another part of the bill. If you don't pay it you're regarded in the same way as somebody doing a runner and not paying the bill at all. The whole economy of their hospitality industry is based on that extra 20%. Without it they can't pay their bills, so that's why they chase you down the street.

So if it annoys you, try not to think of it as a tip.

Isn't part of the whole travelling to other countries thing to do with getting to grips with different customs etc? It'd be a tedious world if everywhere was the same as the UK...
  • cowsham
    Let's not encourage tipping over here, we've enough bother with "Cow Tipping" where I come from.