Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

I can't figure out why every shop I go to sells blokes underpants in packs of three or more. To add to the annoyance, if i wanted a pattern on them and I quite like one particular shade/style, there will be two random shade/styles packaged with them that i might not ordinarily choose.

Some of these packs can £24+ for three pairs. Women's stuff isn't sold this way, if they can buy a single pair of their chosen underwear, why can't I have the option to buy one pair of men's underpants?

Some shops do tbf. (sorry to be annoying) Gap and Topman certainly have done in the past.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    At KX you do have to exit and enter again, to reach the cut and cover lines, if you've previously entered via the gates to the deep tube lines.

You don't need to exit and enter again to change between any line at Kings Cross.

Deep tube to subsurface, you exit and then enter again. If you do so in a reasonable time, it won't show on your journeys and you won't be charged.

I don't know how this bloke got a copy of this, but there are barriers at #3...

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/0 ... e-station/

You can go from Circle/Met/H&C to Northern/Piccadilly/Victoria and vice versa without exiting and entering. Source - I have done it many times. It's not a secret route either. You just follow the signs.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

I can't figure out why every shop I go to sells blokes underpants in packs of three or more. To add to the annoyance, if i wanted a pattern on them and I quite like one particular shade/style, there will be two random shade/styles packaged with them that i might not ordinarily choose.

Some of these packs can £24+ for three pairs. Women's stuff isn't sold this way, if they can buy a single pair of their chosen underwear, why can't I have the option to buy one pair of men's underpants?

Some shops do tbf. (sorry to be annoying) Gap and Topman certainly have done in the past.

Not at all, I'm glad for the info.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

The spur down to Moorgate 5and6 is the old City Widened lines - where Thameslink (or its predecessor) used to terminate before the upgrades and City Thameslink. So trains from Cambridge did used to head on to Moorgate (and terminate there) after Farringdon.

It'd be interesting to see what your ticket says, Rick. At KX you do have to exit and enter again, to reach the cut and cover lines, if you've previously entered via the gates to the deep tube lines.

"Cambridge to London all terminals".

I check out on the rail platform, above ground, and check back in to go underground.

Looks like a legacy thing then. Saying that though - I'm surprised it won't open the gates to the sub-surface lines.

I think that Moorgate still counts as a terminal. In the old days it would be a bit weird to get on a BR train to London and arrive at Moorgate and not be allowed out!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    Ben6899 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    At KX you do have to exit and enter again, to reach the cut and cover lines, if you've previously entered via the gates to the deep tube lines.

You don't need to exit and enter again to change between any line at Kings Cross.

Deep tube to subsurface, you exit and then enter again. If you do so in a reasonable time, it won't show on your journeys and you won't be charged.

I don't know how this bloke got a copy of this, but there are barriers at #3...

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2015/0 ... e-station/

The important thing with Kings Cross and the Victoria lines etc is, if arriving on the mainline trains, to ignore the main entrance to the underground and to walk out of the front and down into the old ticket concourse. The signs there drop you straight onto the Victoria line platforms. Follow the signs from the new main entrance and you first head North, then East towards the old Thameslink Station. Just before you reach that you turn back on yourself and head back to Kings Cross station ending eventually, after walking most of a km, at the far end of the Victoria line platform.

On returning, the important thing to do is ignore the direction signs on the platform for the Mainline station (which take you back the long way) and walk towards the back of the train. When you get to the last coach and a half the arrow markers change direction and lead you the short way out.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    The quickest way from Mainline to Vic line is to use the Pentonville Road entrance.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Ben6899 wrote:
    The quickest way from Mainline to Vic line is to use the Pentonville Road entrance.
    We need an experiment with stopwatches. I quite often change from Vic to Circle/H&C/Met at KX and always go through the hall under the front concourse; no need to go through any gates.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    We need an experiment with stopwatches. I quite often change from Vic to Circle/H&C/Met at KX and always go through the hall under the front concourse; no need to go through any gates.

There's various ways of doing it the speed of which may depend on what platform you come in on and everything is connected so it doesn't really matter where you go in. The point here is actually more about the arrows pointing you to the mainline station and to the Victoria line. If you end up in the tunnel to the old Thameslink station as most of the arrows take you to (and this is deliberate - it is to alleviate overcrowding at the old concourse) you won't need a stop watch; the time difference will be minutes.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    For the truly bored. A 3D map.

https://stations.aeracode.org/#kxx
  • rjsterry
    TheBigBean wrote:

Bored? I could spend hours twiddling with those.

Whoever built those models must think the same way as me because each station is pretty well instantly recognisable.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Ben6899
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Whoever built those models must think the same way as me because each station is pretty well instantly recognisable.

They're accurate and contain do distracting/superfluous information.

I'd give them a job!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'd give them a job!

Slightly odd selection of stations. Did they look at Waterloo and think "I'll start with something easier."
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

Simply open multiple packs and choose the three you want.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

I'd give them a job!

Slightly odd selection of stations. Did they look at Waterloo and think "I'll start with something easier."

If they want a real challenge they should try Berlin Friedrichstraße station as it was before the wall came down.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

I can't figure out why every shop* I go to sells blokes underpants in packs of three or more. To add to the annoyance, if i wanted a pattern on them and I quite like one particular shade/style, there will be two random shade/styles packaged with them that i might not ordinarily choose.

(* if anyone knows shops that don't do this, please tell)

Where do you buy a pack of 3 underpants for £24 Alexander McQueen ?

Tesco has a pack of 5 briefs for about a fiver
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    Old people thinking they should have everything for free no matter how well off they may be. Why should someone with a good pension income get a free TV licence while a youngster earning minimum wage has to pay for theirs? People talk about hound people having a sense of entitlement!

do youngsters buy tv licences :lol: by the beebs own figures they claim these 3.7million over 75 pensioners provide 1/5th of their total funding, that number will only increase rapidly in the coming years, the numbers of over 75s are supposed to triple in the next decade, at which point the whole license system will collapse in on itself :)
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    People who live in London so they can earn more money, then get f*cked off because it takes for ever to get around.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

It's probably because most blokes dont spend that long worrying about the colour of their underpants... I just find a fabric/cut I like and buy them in a pack of 5 or 7. Colours are basically irrelevant, given that I wear them under trousers, although I do like brightly coloured ones given the choice.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Underpants.

I can't figure out why every shop* I go to sells blokes underpants in packs of three or more. To add to the annoyance, if i wanted a pattern on them and I quite like one particular shade/style, there will be two random shade/styles packaged with them that i might not ordinarily choose.

(* if anyone knows shops that don't do this, please tell)

Just buy women's instead then!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Webboo wrote:
    People who live in London so they can earn more money, then get f*cked off because it takes for ever to get around.
    And complain that they are worse off than before because rent etc. is much higher.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    Webboo wrote:
    Takes more time for the distance involved. Although when I'm in the North East it still takes a fair while to go see friends & family because they live a fair way away. Take your pick.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ben6899
    Webboo wrote:

Who are these people?

London has one of the best public transport networks in the world.
    Ben

• awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    places, like pubs or coffee stops, that provide bike racks that are next to useless to lock your bike up against, without risking breaking a spoke,damaging a wheel or bending the rear mech etc.

because theyve recognised its something they want to provide, gone to the effort of having some kind of bike park facility, paid actual money for it, and yet clearly have no experience or understanding of awfully bad what theyve provided is
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    awavey wrote:
    places, like pubs or coffee stops, that provide bike racks that are next to useless to lock your bike up against, without risking breaking a spoke,damaging a wheel or bending the rear mech etc.

because theyve recognised its something they want to provide, gone to the effort of having some kind of bike park facility, paid actual money for it, and yet clearly have no experience or understanding of awfully bad what theyve provided is

Yes the dead wife's bum type -- totally useless.
  • robert88
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:
    Takes more time for the distance involved. Although when I'm in the North East it still takes a fair while to go see friends & family because they live a fair way away. Take your pick.

It must be nearly as far as Poland! Do you send your wages back to the folks?
  • rolf_f
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Who are these people?

London is big. It takes a while to get to around big places even with good public transport. The M25 would encircle Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield and Wakefield which are different places. If you live a long way from somewhere it tends to take a while to get there; mostly it takes half an hour in any direction to get out of Leeds. London is big.
  • robert88
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

Who are these people?

London is big. It takes a while to get to around big places even with good public transport. The M25 would encircle Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, Huddersfield and Wakefield which are different places. If you live a long way from somewhere it tends to take a while to get there; mostly it takes half an hour in any direction to get out of Leeds. London is big.

There is also a lot of London outside the M25. You get Londoners migrating to nice parts of the UK to set up colonies of like-minded city-dwellers.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Robert88 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Webboo wrote:

It must be nearly as far as Poland! Do you send your wages back to the folks?

...well he wouldn't because he understands exchange rates.
  • Lagrange
    F'ing Holby City. I hope I never have to go to hospital.
  • Lagrange
    F'ing Casualty. I hope I never have to go to hospital.