Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

Comments

• robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    rjsterry wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stems from the days when to get a bright light you needed big batteries. A solid unit containing big batteries can have other uses, particularly as it is already in your hand. That said, a smaller torch and a proper baton these days, I'd think.

I think I'm at crossed purposes here. I haven't introduced batons into the discussion. The fictional TV characters I'm on about aren't carrying batons or guns, they're generally looking for some bad guy in the dark somewhere and they have an overhand grip on the flashlight which is then rested on the opposite forearm. This appears to serve no actual purpose other than to look more dramatic, a bit like the other reference to holding a handgun with the handle facing flat to the floor. If people in the real world want to carry batons with their torches and this strange grip serves some practical purpose then great, but it's not what's trivial and annoying to me.
    I'd want a weapon in these circumstances. A big heavy torch can be used as a weapon. And you already have it in your hands. Maybe it is that heavy that they need to rest it on their other arm? :lol:
    But then as soon as you try to use it as some sort of baton it becomes useless as a torch. You're either pointing it at the ceiling or the floor.

Ain't none of you lot read The Godfather?

latest?cb=20100228170917
    Al Neri began his career as a New York City policeman where he earned a reputation as a legitimately tough officer due to his fierce temper and quick reflexes. He frequently patrolled the streets with a large flashlight which he used to great effect, either cracking up the foreheads of Italian youths that ran with street gangs or shattering the windshields of diplomats who showed no regard for traffic laws. After his wife, Rita, left him because of her fear of his temper, Neri killed violent pimp Wax Baines who was in the process of slashing a little girl. Neri accomplished this by shattering Baines' skull with his flashlight; he was later convicted of voluntary manslaughter.

If only he'd heard about the strobing flashlight..
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    laurentian wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    People firing handguns on films and TV shows that hold it one handed and twisted so the grip is parallel to the floor.

Oh, and the whole handgun in both hands pointing in different directions.
    Agreed and I would add:

That "shhhhinnng" sound every time a sword is pulled from it's scabbard - this sound effect is used in every shot of a sword being drawn in every film and TV series ever made. A steel sword being drawn from a leather scabbard just wouldn't make that sound.

i've just checked and can confirm that my kukri doesn't make that noise either.

#ouchi'vejustcutmyself
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,953
    People using the term 'cockpit' when talking about a bike. It's just a couple of bits of metal / carbon fibre and a few bearings.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:
    People using the term 'cockpit' when talking about a bike. It's just a couple of bits of metal / carbon fibre and a few bearings.

Ditto "steed" of course. Your bike is not a horse, OK? It's just a couple of bits of metal / carbon fibre and a few bearings. To be honest, I'd probably be annoyed at a horse rider using the term "steed" as well. Pretentious numptyism.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Matthewfalle
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Ditto "steed" of course. Your bike is not a horse, OK? It's just a couple of bits of metal / carbon fibre and a few bearings. To be honest, I'd probably be annoyed at a horse rider using the term "steed" as well. Pretentious numptyism.

cockpit
    steed
    man cave
    fleet of bicycles
    etc

#uttershit

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Pross wrote:

It does rhyme with bullshit.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    I would use the term cockpit probably but I'm not sure I ever have. On mountain bikes some feel completely different to others and it's to do with bar width, bar rise, grip thickness, stem length, fork/stack height, reach and probably other things. Not just talking about the 'front end' of the bike as I'd assume you meant the forks, headangle and tyres rather than the 'front end controls' or whatever else you could call it
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    I would use the term cockpit probably but I'm not sure I ever have. On mountain bikes some feel completely different to others and it's to do with bar width, bar rise, grip thickness, stem length, fork/stack height, reach and probably other things. Not just talking about the 'front end' of the bike as I'd assume you meant the forks, headangle and tyres rather than the 'front end controls' or whatever else you could call it

What, you mean you'd use the term "cockpit" to describe all those bike related fit variables that cannot be changed in an actual cockpit?

I'd just use "fit" to describe that stuff.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 73,044
    The office cleaner by all accounts does a good job - I can't complain, they work stupid hours for crap pay, and every w@nker who loses something blames them for it.

They do however have a tendency to accidentally lock the coffee away in the morning by mistake.

AAARGH.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,832
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

cockpit
    steed
    man cave
    fleet of bicycles
    etc

#uttershit
    You can add the term 'chapeau' to that list. Pretentious w***.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,515
    Chapeau - simply meaning hat.
    Like cooking, cycling uses French terminology.
    Peloton, grimpeur, rouleur, stagiere, palmarès, domestique...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

What, you mean you'd use the term "cockpit" to describe all those bike related fit variables that cannot be changed in an actual cockpit?

Yes. 'Fit' has far less defined parameters in mtb than it does in road. It's more about handling characteristics, fashion and rider preference. It's very open to experimentation. Edit: If I tried a long reach, short stem and wider bar I wouldn't say I like the 'fit', I'd say 'I have more control on flat out sections' or something

Also, words have lots of meanings and contexts, I don't think describing a part of a bike where controls are is that far away from this use.

"dates from the early 20th century and derives from an early 18th-century nautical term denoting an area in the aft lower deck of a man-of-war where the wounded were taken, later coming to mean ‘the ‘pit’ or well from which a yacht is steered’; hence the place housing the controls of other vehicles."
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    I know what it means, but it still makes the user sound like a pretentious w***er. I suppose you could get away with it if you're French, mind.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,515
    HaydenM wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

Yes. 'Fit' has far less defined parameters in mtb than it does in road. It's more about handling characteristics, fashion and rider preference. It's very open to experimentation. Edit: If I tried a long reach, short stem and wider bar I wouldn't say I like the 'fit', I'd say 'I have more control on flat out sections' or something

Also, words have lots of meanings and contexts, I don't think describing a part of a bike where controls are is that far away from this use.

"dates from the early 20th century and derives from an early 18th-century nautical term denoting an area in the aft lower deck of a man-of-war where the wounded were taken, later coming to mean ‘the ‘pit’ or well from which a yacht is steered’; hence the place housing the controls of other vehicles."

It's still not a 'cockpit'! :roll:

Look, pensioners aside, haven't you got any trees to shout out? I expect they have all gone deaf.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • haydenm
    Suggest a more applicable word for the front end controls of a mountain bike to help you describe the combined effect variables listed above. It's not directly comparable but it is very useful for conveying an issue, people would know exactly what you mean (provided they are mountain bikers)

Language isn't literal, the evolution of language is a study in itself :wink:
  • rolf_f
    HaydenM wrote:
    Suggest a more applicable word for the front end controls of a mountain bike to help you describe the combined effect variables listed above. It's not directly comparable but it is very useful for conveying an issue, people would know exactly what you mean (provided they are mountain bikers)

"Fit"!! - it's closer to what you are talking about than "cockpit". It doesn't need to have exactly the same meaning as per road bikes!

It's not about the appropriateness of the word as much as not sounding like an idiot when using it!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,953
    HaydenM wrote:

What's wrong with bars & stem (or even just bars as to me the stem is an extension of the bars). People managed for decades without using the word cockpit in relation to a bike.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Whilst in the realms of cycling related jargon, may I throw the use of the term "stiff and responsive" into the equation?

Every review of every cycling component or accessory descibes them as "stiff and responsive". Frames, wheels, stems, shoes, saddles, pedals, bars, jerseys, helmets, socks . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    laurentian wrote:
    Every review of every cycling component or accessory descibes them as "stiff and responsive". Frames, wheels, stems, shoes, saddles, pedals, bars, jerseys, helmets, socks . . .

After a week of commuting, my socks are certainly stiff, and they evoke a very specific response in those people unlucky enough to be exposed to them. :)
  • haydenm
    Rolf F wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

"Fit"!! - it's closer to what you are talking about than "cockpit". It doesn't need to have exactly the same meaning as per road bikes!

It's not about the appropriateness of the word as much as not sounding like an idiot when using it!

The purpose of language is to convey meaning, if I went to a bunch of mountain bikers at an enduro race and said something like 'there is something wrong with the fit of my front end' it wouldn't be a clear as saying 'something about the cockpit doesn't feel quite right'. They might suggest different grips or maybe pointing your brake levers down or something. Unfortunately for some it is already in common usage and has it's own distinct meaning here, a bit like the term 'plush' for suspension feel. It's a combined effect of lots of variables to create a 'feeling'
  • haydenm
    Pross wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:

What's wrong with bars & stem (or even just bars as to me the stem is an extension of the bars). People managed for decades without using the word cockpit in relation to a bike.

Because cockpit is more than just bars and stem, it's also more concise so it leaves more free for words like 'gnarly' and 'rad'
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I know what it means, but it still makes the user sound like a pretentious w***er.

Could be worse, Stevo...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Stevo_666
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    I know what it means, but it still makes the user sound like a pretentious w***er.

Could be worse, Stevo...
    Could be Ben, but this is the trivial thread.
  • Matthewfalle
    #triviality

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Could be worse, Stevo...

Bidon
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    FatTed wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Could be worse, Stevo...

Bidon

No one bats an eyelid at "derailleur", FFS! :lol:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    casquette.

jog on. its a hat.

#hat
    #thinkofOxo

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    I may have touched a raw nerve with some chapeau-istas :D
  • Matthewfalle
    this and everyone and everything to do with it. utter, utter bellennds.

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-caps/

#uttertwats
    #passthepickaxehandle
    #thinkofOxo
    #discountcode8

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    this and everyone and everything to do with it. utter, utter bellennds.

https://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/cycling-caps/

#uttertwats
    #passthepickaxehandle
    #thinkofOxo
    #discountcode8
    It is a form of 'chapeau'...