Seemingly trivial things that annoy you

1107010711072107310741076»

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,926

I've decided Big Bean is right, he did create a telescope, fair play. Right, print out a picture of the geezer with the gen on his achievements and bloody well stick it on there!

You'd be failing Sir Isaac Newton memory if you don't do this.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

I just looked at Wikipedia. That's my source. What do you think the point of the poster is? Influencing secondary school kids is an area I don't know anything about.

That said, I do admire some of the calculations done by hand by mathematicians of the past. For example, the search for big primes before computers.

Johnson's work included calculating trajectories, launch windows, and emergency return paths for Project Mercury spaceflights, including those for astronauts Alan Shepard, the first American in space, and John Glenn, the first American in orbit, and rendezvous paths for the ApolloLunar Module and command module on flights to the Moon.[4] Her calculations were also essential to the beginning of the Space Shuttle program, and she worked on plans for a mission to Mars. She was known as a "human computer" for her tremendous mathematical capability and ability to work with space trajectories with such little technology and recognition at the time.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103

I would guess that that particular poster is aiming to show a selection of mathematicians, some of which students could identify with to some degree - i.e. not just dudes with wigs. There's obviously room for other posters - perhaps how you get from Pythagoras through Descartes and Newton to Johnson or one just about Newton. Brian is probably better qualified to comment on the effectiveness of posters in a classroom

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541

Comically, wikipedia lists one of Descartes' greatest achievements as inspiring Newton. I'll leave it there before I come across as a crazy obsessive.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS