Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,682

A metaphor for an annual service.

Bike

Car

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367

Exactly. I replace the chain pretty much every spring seems to be the time it hits .75 on the wear indicator. Doing this the cassette is now on its 4th chain. So if being serviced by a bike shop they'd either be replacing components that were only half worn, or I'd end up knackering something.

Cleaning the bike and checking the chain is on today's to do list. It feels like it's getting close to replacement time as the front shift is getting slower.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367

Seeded bread, the wife likes it. Every time she cuts a slice the little buggers seem to multiply and throw themselves around the entire kitchen.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,902

Every ride is a road test. Normally fine but a stitch in time saves nine.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,898

After much grief and corroboration with various vesting nurses and midwives, have decided to change GP surgery to avoid the frankly abusive practice receptionist.

She's like this to everyone, and when we mentioned the practice to nurses they all rolled their eyes and said they too had heard of serious problems.

Absolute pain in the arse and I really don't want to but it's got to the point my wife won't go see the dr when she should because she's so anxious about dealing with that cow.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,797

Assume that the practice principals are being made aware of this. If it's losing them patients it's losing them money.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

yeah the complaints process is a faff, as they're set up to deal with "incidents" rather than just general hostility.

I can list the things she does, but she basically gets aggressive, insists on you sharing your problem within earshot of the entire reception.

Have been those patients hearing her berate people for not sharing info or indeed broadcasting their complaints to the room "oh so you struggle to wee and you can't ejaculate, Mr Thompson".

She will also declare that your illness is not sufficient to warrant an appointment - unless you cry.

In an instance when i registered my daughter, I opted out of extra midwife visits because a) I'd just spent 2 weeks with neonatal nurses and b) that was because of a series of midwife mistakes that meant my daughter avoidably ended up in the NICU, she challenged me in front of the whole surgery about why I did that, and after I batted it away once she basically inferred I was being a bad parent in response.

She refused to give me medicine which *she called us about while we were in hospital* for my newborn son but refused to give it because the boy wasn't registered at the surgery, but she didn't allow me to register the boy because I hadn't got his birth certificate - which the earliest I could get was after the medicine was supposed to have been administered, and called me "badly organised" for doing so.

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,463

Things that annoy me - Double bow shoe lace knots.

How is it that you can pull one end of a lace and it goes into some unfathomable, impossible knot yet other times it undoes effortlessly? It’s like some weird rope trick gone wrong.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,902

One of the loose ends has inadvertently gone through a loop.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,833

I'm keeping my daughter company on a 21 mile walk through the hills on Saturday, the first time she has done anything like this, and thought I'd check the forecast:

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,718

You need to hope you have a tailwind.

• TheBigBean

I've just discovered that the ice cream van that parks near the school pick up is amazingly cheap. This doesn't bode well for the future.

• Pross

Will have one on the most exposed climb. First climb is technically into the wind but should be sheltered most of the way up by the hill itself. The last km to the summit will be tough but is a very gentle gradient. Third and final one could be hard going especially with about 16 miles in the legs when it starts.

• edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221

Report it to the CQC. Go to https://www.cqc.org.uk/ find your service and on the left go to 'give feedback about your care'.

The more people that report things, the more likely there will be an inspection and the reports are used to guide the areas that are inspected.

A few years back I had a similar issue with a receptionist giving the wrong medicine for a family member against a repeat request. She told me I was wrong and refused to help. Unfortunately for her I am a Pharmacist and knew damn well she was wrong. After making enough noise the GP himself came out, grovelled a bit and gave the right thing, I reported it to the CQC.

The inspector contacted me before the inspection and it turns out they had had other similar reports. After the inspection the published report was critical of the receptionists in particular and they were given what amounts to an 'improvement notice'.

So, things can be done.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

Black burnt 'dust' on your pizza base isnt a good thing.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,797

Doesn't need to be a formal complaint. Just a polite letter addressed to the principals explaining that you are leaving for another practice because their employee is unbearable. If they wish to discuss the matter further you would welcome the opportunity 🤨 Oh, and wot edward.s said, too.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 19

delighted the train company decided to cancel the smartcard I have without warning because they’re moving to a new system.

Because everyone carries around with them spare passport photos and has 20 minutes to wait while you sort that out.

• TheBigBean

Suit trousers have split. That means I will need to go shopping or be brave online. Headache.

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397

Something my Dad told me when he bought me a suit for my first job . . . always buy two pairs of trousers! They'll wear out way before the jacket.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,595

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68612242

why people think there's a difference between banksy and anyone else causing criminal damage by defacing others' property

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pross

Because he's making highly witty commentary on social issues (or something like that).

• rick_chasey
    edited March 20

any excuse to repost this:

Take his political stuff. One featured that Vietnamese girl who had her clothes napalmed off. Ho-hum, a familiar image, you think. I'll just be on my way to my 9 to 5 desk job, mindless drone that I am. Then, with an astonished lurch, you notice sly, subversive genius Banksy has stencilled Mickey Mouse and Ronald McDonald either side of her.

Wham! The message hits you like a lead bus: America ... um ... war ... er ... Disney ... and stuff. Wow. In an instant, your worldview changes forever. Your eyes are opened. Staggering away, mind blown, you flick v-signs at a Burger King on the way home. Nice one Banksy! You've shown us the truth, yeah?

• TheBigBean

Bristol City council waged war for years against him. They didn't think of it as art until the public protested.

• Pross

Seeing a job advertised that is exactly the sort of thing I would like to do (Civil Engineering for the Forestry Commission to support their new tree planting schemes) but it having a salary of around £10k less than I currently earn and it only being fixed term (possibility of an extension but no guarantee). Nice pension contribution through the Civil Service scheme though of 27% of salary, if I had paid off my mortgage that would have made it worthwhile but pension contributions can't cover current living costs.

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,342

Took 3 calls to virgin to get my new broadband contract sorted, as it was due to more than double.

First one just took too long and I had to give up.

Second one worked after going through the automatic layers, then the first line of "I can offer you a £5 discount", then finally speaking to retentions who can give actual discounts. Then they emailed me the contract and it was for more than we agreed on the phone, so I had to go through it all again for a third time.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,590

Because it makes your boring old wall into a valuable piece of art?

https://metro.co.uk/2022/01/16/landlord-sells-banksy-mural-for-2000000-after-ripping-it-off-wall-15927106/

I'm not too bothered about it either way from an artistic perspective but I'd be very happy if he decided to stencil my garage door.

• Pross

It’s a bit of a hassle if he does your wall though (or worse, the wall of the building you live in but don’t own).

It does make me laugh that people are bemoaning someone throwing white paint over him basically throwing green paint over a wall. Someone said the difference is Banksy is an artistic genius - other opinions are available.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,590

I'd put up with really quite a lot of hassle for 2 million quid.