Light luggage on a carbon road bike
I’m looking to upgrade from a heavy hybrid bike to a carbon-framed Specialized Roubaix road bike. Two weeks a year, I take Mrs Grellow on a cycling holiday, where we take panniers full of clothes etc. and stay at B&Bs and small hotels. My basic question is: how can I take clothes with me on the Roubaix, without having to use a rucksack on my back?
People in bike shops have advised me that it’s not possible to fit a standard/classic pannier rack to this kind of bike. It has no eyelets, for a start. And it’s not possible to change the clip that secures the seatpost to something with extra lugs, because (apparently) that seatpost clip needs to be offset at an angle.
So I’ve looked for a bit at Carradice SQR bags, and also Topeak Beam racks that attach to the seatpost itself. My concerns there are: that they could be unstable (especially the Topeak style), but also that I won’t be able to tighten them firmly enough to the carbon seatpost without damaging it.
I’d appreciate any help/advice on these questions:
1. Is it possible to fit a standard pannier rack to a carbon Roubaix bike?
2. Would fixing the Carradice or Topeak systems to a carbon seatpost cause problems?
3. If I changed the carbon seatpost to a metal/alloy one, would I notice a lot of extra vibration from the road?
4. Is it easy to switch seatposts between alloy and carbon, and attach the same saddle?
5. Are there any other options?