Light luggage on a carbon road bike

Grellow
Grellow Posts: 14
edited November 2012 in Road buying advice

I’m looking to upgrade from a heavy hybrid bike to a carbon-framed Specialized Roubaix road bike. Two weeks a year, I take Mrs Grellow on a cycling holiday, where we take panniers full of clothes etc. and stay at B&Bs and small hotels. My basic question is: how can I take clothes with me on the Roubaix, without having to use a rucksack on my back?

People in bike shops have advised me that it’s not possible to fit a standard/classic pannier rack to this kind of bike. It has no eyelets, for a start. And it’s not possible to change the clip that secures the seatpost to something with extra lugs, because (apparently) that seatpost clip needs to be offset at an angle.

So I’ve looked for a bit at Carradice SQR bags, and also Topeak Beam racks that attach to the seatpost itself. My concerns there are: that they could be unstable (especially the Topeak style), but also that I won’t be able to tighten them firmly enough to the carbon seatpost without damaging it.

I’d appreciate any help/advice on these questions:
1.       Is it possible to fit a standard pannier rack to a carbon Roubaix bike?
2.       Would fixing the Carradice or Topeak systems to a carbon seatpost cause problems?
3.       If I changed the carbon seatpost to a metal/alloy one, would I notice a lot of extra vibration from the road?
4.       Is it easy to switch seatposts between alloy and carbon, and attach the same saddle?
5.       Are there any other options?

Many thanks. :D

Comments

• markps
    markps Posts: 41
    I think you'd be subjecting the frame to forces & stresses it wasn't designed to deal with, and the seat stays on a roubiax look quite delicate!

Why don't you get the roubaix as planned, but keep your current bike for the holiday? I'm sure you'd rather use your posh bike but you'd kick yourself if it got damaged, and you might also have a problem with the warranty should the unthinkable happen...
  • plet
    plet Posts: 34
    2. There's a brilliant answer to this question at http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp (towards the bottom).

What's the problem with keeping the hybrid bike for using two weeks a year?
  • Grellow
    Thanks for these replies - good points all round.
    plet wrote:
    What's the problem with keeping the hybrid bike for using two weeks a year?
    One issue is just space. I was hoping to sell the old bike for a few quid, but also free up room in the garage. Also it would be nice to enjoy the lighter bike while I'm on holiday. :D

Basically I'd like to check whether there's an option to carry some luggage, before I settle on the choice of bike.

(I test-rode a Jamis Endura bike, which has eyelets for a rack ... but didn't like the ride as much. For 50 weeks a year, the ride is probably more important.)
  • esspeebee
    esspeebee Posts: 174
    Even if the holiday weren't a concern I'd still keep the hybrid around, if only because I wouldn't want to leave a Roubaix locked up in the centre of town.
  • Grellow
    esspeebee wrote:
    Even if the holiday weren't a concern I'd still keep the hybrid around, if only because I wouldn't want to leave a Roubaix locked up in the centre of town.

I also have an old MTB which I can use for cycling to the pub etc. Hence wanting to free a bit of space - would prefer not to keep all 3 bikes! :D

Still interested to hear if there are any other options.

Especially: what impact would a (temporary) metal seatpost have, on a bike like this?

Thanks.
  • dakkar
    dakkar Posts: 64
    Get on ebay and get yourself an alloy seat pin and give it a go. The Roubaix is a very cosseted ride by all accounts so an alloy seat pin shouldn't make much difference. I saw quite a few light tourists in Italy this year with saddle baga and and beams that attach to the seat pin. Take a look at at Mike Hall google him, he toured around the world on a carbon bike and no issues with his luggage set up and not a rack insight.
  • IF i were you i would find an engineer who if pretty handy with a welder and custom fabricate a mech that can sit on the chain stay and support a pannier. or get an alu seat post or a bike trailer.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I’m looking to upgrade from a heavy hybrid bike to a carbon-framed Specialized Roubaix road bike

Do it! I bought one this year and it's stunningly wonderful. After six or seven hours only my legs hurt. The BG Toupe saddle is wonderful, oversize handlebars are super comfy, it just glides over bad roads and I can run the tyres at high pressure with no side affects. The stock wheels aren't that light but I swapped those out for my existing set.

I'd no no qualms about using one of those seatpost mounted things so longer it was under 7-8kg in weight. If the you put the heavier items at the setpost end it reduces their turning moment and decreases stress. Get a large size Topeak Fuel Tank for extra space and to keep things handy and use a bar bag for the rest.

If you pack light it's amazing what you can get away with, folk take too much on holiday. For example if you wear mtb / touring shoes with SPD cleats you only need one pair of shoes, with road shoes you'd also need something to walk in.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Did coast to coast on my roubaix last year.

Used a Topeak beam rack which clamped to an alloy seatpost which I bought specially( dont clamp to carbon!) as shown

c2c3.jpg

Fitted a MTX pannier bag to the rack

Perfect.

BTW the luggage was about 7kg and I weighed about 100kg at the time.
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I commute on a Roubaix and have a SQR Trax. I've done the dreaded and clamped it to the carbon seatpost (used a torque wrench) wrapped with a bit of inner tube. If you don't feel comfortable doing that (most people don't), then just stick an alloy post on it.

Mine only carries my lunch and a change of clothes though :p
  • In the Alps this year I saw two £2K+ road bikes set up with seatpost mounted bags. Not seen them in the UK before but was surprised how big they were.

I think it was this, but a bigger version maybe. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... r-ec033749

Probs not enough space for touring though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cant you pay for someone to collect and deliver your luggage ? I know its very popular among walkers and there's dedicated companies that will do that for you. Probably a bit more expensive for cycling as you'll be doing more miles than a walker would.
  • Many thanks for all the replies here. This has been really useful - lots of points to think about.

carrock wrote:
    Did coast to coast on my roubaix last year. Used a Topeak beam rack which clamped to an alloy seatpost which I bought specially( dont clamp to carbon!) as shown

How did the alloy seatpost affect the ride? Was there a lot more vibration from the road, or not much difference?

I'm thinking there are other times when it'd be useful to have a small rack on the bike, for going to stay overnight with friends etc.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Most of the compliance in the Roubaix is the frame, I can't see the seatpost making much difference.

As for going to stay with friends I run a 3 litre saddlebag (6.99 on ebay) on my Roubaix because I live in the Highlands and you often end up having to carry decent waterproofs, spare tube, pump, etc. With a 3l saddlebag and a bar bag you'd not need more for an overnight stay.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!