Anybody up for a ride today?

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    BigMat wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    are fixie riders welcome in these gangs? no skidding I promise..

I think you'd find it tough to keep up with a chaingang on a fixie....
    This is a man who has clearly never encountered iPete on the commute...

I think he'd struggle on a fixie. There is a mile long descent to a roundabout and then back up the way you came down. Not sure what gearing could enable you to not get seriously dropped in those circumstances.

Exactly... It's a chaingang not SCR, it's a different style of riding and on long routes... I've seen people on fixies on the usual Dulwich club rides, they soon get dropped....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Perhaps someone can elaborate beyond its a chaingain with a gps file or some general figures on the pace of the group...
  • iPete wrote:
    Perhaps someone can elaborate beyond its a chaingain with a gps file or some general figures on the pace of the group...

http://app.strava.com/runs/dulwich-para ... ute-184270

Good old Google.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    BigMat wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    are fixie riders welcome in these gangs? no skidding I promise..

I think you'd find it tough to keep up with a chaingang on a fixie....
    This is a man who has clearly never encountered iPete on the commute...

I think he'd struggle on a fixie. There is a mile long descent to a roundabout and then back up the way you came down. Not sure what gearing could enable you to not get seriously dropped in those circumstances.

Exactly... It's a chaingang not SCR, it's a different style of riding and on long routes... I've seen people on fixies on the usual Dulwich club rides, they soon get dropped....
    Fair enough... I guess I'm too used to the flatness of my commute :P
  • iPete wrote:

Good old Google.

Yipe!

My fastest 50K is 1:51:45. :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Headhuunter
    iPete wrote:

Good old Google.

Yipe!

I think the winter route is slower and steadier than in summer when people are training for races...
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    It depends who is out really. And which way the wind is blowing. It was a bit slower than that on Tuesday - 19.5mph average for me I think (edit: 19.6, 38.7 down the hill when I was having to catch up to the group after earlier crash), but I had to stop a few minutes when somebody crashed into my back wheel which probably accounts for the difference. I think the quickest one I have done averaged around 22mph (edit: 21.7).
  • Headhuunter
    BigMat wrote:
    It depends who is out really. And which way the wind is blowing. It was a bit slower than that on Tuesday - 19.5mph average for me I think (edit: 19.6, 38.7 down the hill when I was having to catch up to the group after earlier crash), but I had to stop a few minutes when somebody crashed into my back wheel which probably accounts for the difference. I think the quickest one I have done averaged around 22mph (edit: 21.7).

How is it in the winter? The one time I went it was a glorious summer's eve... I can't imagine hurtling through the Kent countryside along cold, dark roads... Doesn't it feel a bit dangerous?
  • iPete wrote:

Good old Google.

Yipe!

I think the winter route is slower and steadier than in summer when people are training for races...

The pace is always higher in a group than on solo runs. You're very rarely at the front in a chain gang.
  • I just checked my Endo track - it was from the 100 Mile Notts sportive... I got the 50K, 50 mile and 100K records on the one run. I was in a group for quite a few sections of that, but certainly not all.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

Good old Google.

Yipe!

Those downhills look a bit nippy and for that reason I'm oooot!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    iPete wrote:

Good old Google.

Yipe!

The pace is always higher in a group than on solo runs. You're very rarely at the front in a chain gang.

Funnily enough, I have done that route solo a couple of times and pace has been pretty similar e.g. around 20mph. Unless its really windy, I think the savings you get from drafting are balanced by not having to wait to regroup at the top of hills / at junctions etc. It is however a lot more knackering doing it on your own!

Re the safety aspect, the winter route is almost all on well lit main roads, so provided you have decent lights its no more dangerous than commuting - there are a couple of stretches where you are on busy A roads, but the traffic tends to be pretty quiet at that time of night.
  • In the spirit of this thread, I'm not in work and off for a ride tomorrow and wouldn't mind some company.

Out from Clapham through Richmond Park, Kingston, Esher, Oxshott, Leatherhead, Box Hill and back. Probably about 60 miles and I'll be leaving at 11am but happy to be flexible if anybody is up for it.

Speed-wise, I'll be looking at 17mph or so. Nothing hugely strenuous. PM me if you fancy it. No weirdos.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Reminds me, what happened to you the other night, was hanging on for dear life for most of embankment then you dropped away, mechanical?
    Embarrassingly, I blew up! :oops: Pretty unfit at the moment... I slowed down enough to get stuck at a set of lights and never caught up with you. Need to get more miles in.
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I might be in London from 11th - 25th, I'd be up for some riding if I know where to meet.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    It's a date!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • iPete
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Reminds me, what happened to you the other night, was hanging on for dear life for most of embankment then you dropped away, mechanical?
    Embarrassingly, I blew up! :oops: Pretty unfit at the moment... I slowed down enough to get stuck at a set of lights and never caught up with you. Need to get more miles in.

Was trying to get in front and offer a wheel but you were going too fast! :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    willhub wrote:
    I might be in London from 11th - 25th, I'd be up for some riding if I know where to meet.

May be the 11th but then I've got work and then off to Japan on the 15th for 2 weeks...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll be around from the 8th Onwards. Keen for hills. Ditchling/Box/Leath etc.
  • So - I went for my ride and it felt like I had square wheels. Nasty head wind all the way to Box Hill. Took forever to get up it. Then I got caught out without a proper rain jacket and had to get the train home. Glad nobody else was there to see it.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Anyone up for Tuesday night from SE london to somewhere?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Anyone up for Tuesday night from SE london to somewhere?
    What do you propose (pace/length of ride/start time)?
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    30 miles, <17/18mph, 6.30 ish is about as early as I can get back to nxg.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?