Ideas for replacing my SS? Now a Pearson build - FINISHED

pangolin
pangolin Posts: 6,316
edited November 2012 in Commuting chat
As the old one was nicked at the weekend, I am wondering what to replace it with.

I have a spare pair of wheels already, with tyres etc. I also have bar tape, V brakes, MTB brake levers, flat handlebars, pedals, saddle, charge bowl drop bars (don't really like them though...)

I kind of want a pompino. I would need to buy canti brakes for it though, and would prefer it with drop bars. All the parts to make that happen come to a total of £366 from On One.

Any other suggestions that come in at around 350? Something that takes V brakes would be a bonus as I have them already.
- Genesis Croix de Fer
- Dolan Tuono

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How about a lovely Gary Fisher Triton? I just happen to have one that I'm looking to move on :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    My sympathies for your loss.

I can understand the attraction for the V-brakes since you have them already, but if you want to use drops (something else I can well understand) it makes it a bit tricky. Tektro do drop-bar levers which will work for V-brakes and there is always the travel agent option to help make V-brakes functional with drops, but neither of these are really satisfactory options (although the Tektro levers will work rather better than the travel agent, which gives you really squishy braking)

When last I looked St John Street Cycles were selling sets of Sun Tour cantis at a deep discount. I've got them on my winter/expedition bike (had them for years) and they work well. As with any sort of cantis you have to have them set up properly, but if you do, they're fine.

Good luck
  • pangolin
    edited October 2012
    dhope wrote:
    How about a lovely Gary Fisher Triton? I just happen to have one that I'm looking to move on :D

Is it the one in your sig? What size is it + how tall are you? (Edit - Never mind, that's a condor! - still, some more info on the Triton, or a pic, would be good)

Hoopdriver, I think I probably will end up going with cantis if I get drops. I have them on the kaffenback and I don't mind setting them up too much. I suppose I could go with flat bar + V's for a while to save on initial outlay.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Revolution belter.

Bit more than you wanna spend but something to consider

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... 2fbicycles
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    pangolin wrote:
    dhope wrote:

Is it the one in your sig? What size is it + how tall are you?

Hoopdriver, I think I probably will end up going with cantis if I get drops. I have them on the kaffenback and I don't mind setting them up too much. I suppose I could go with flat bar + V's for a while to save on initial outlay.
    Ah no, that's a Condor Tempo in the sig (which replaced the Triton). The Triton is this one (bought it from that guy), minus the wheels.
    http://www.lfgss.com/thread72544.html
    It's a shade on the small side for me at 5'11. Not sure if you're Chasey or CyclingProp sized...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pangolin
    Ah I'm 6'2 :(
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I have my pompino set up with v-brakes, sram s900 brake levers and the problem solvers travel adjusters.

Works really really well, brakes are sharp and solid feeling, like v-brakes should be, but I can use the sram hoods which are simply lovely.

The other option is v-brake drop bar levers, I've got a spare set as the thin shape doesn't really suit me. Hence the above conversion.
  • Shirley the obvious bike to follow a SS would be a TT?

followed of course by a VV
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem

Skipping the UU for why?
  • pangolin
    Undercover Uliphants are a dangerous breed that's why.

Leaning towards Pompino at this point.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    How about a Cross Check? You can build them up into just about any config you want.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pangolin
    Nice looking frame. £315 just for the frame and forks though, which eats up almost all of the budget. £140 for the pompino frame and forks.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono

Skipping the UU for why?

It might just be that I'm dyslexic (I was, but I'm KO now :wink: ),

or just that thanks to MRS I could think of a VV (Volagi Viaje), but not a UU.

Forgive me I'm just a beginner at this being still at the DD stage.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I have a Pearson Touche frame I'm looking to get rid of. It's been kept outside (but under cover) so will prob need some TLC, but it'd be yours for peanuts. See my sig for a pic and let me know if you are interested.
  • pangolin
    What size (for what height person) is your Pearson Touche IP?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I love my Pompino, so I'd say Dooo Iiiiiit !

(the cantis are a bit of a pain though - I'm considering a front disk upgrade as the Pompetamine disk fork is currently on offer)
    Misguided Idealist
  • il_principe
    pangolin wrote:

I think it's a 55. I'm 5'11 and ride anything between 56 and 54.
  • pangolin
    pangolin wrote:

You have PM :)
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    pangolin wrote:
    pangolin wrote:

You have PM :)

No I don't I'm afraid!
  • pangolin
    No, no you don't. How odd. Very possibly I am just failing.

Erm, well I was asking what sort of condition it's in, and if your'e selling it with forks / headset / that sort of stuff?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • il_principe
    Forks, headset, bb, chainset etc are all in place (although prob not in great condition). I'm based in Wandsworth so you're welcome to come and have a gander if you like.
  • pangolin
    I think you actually have PM this time...

Probably.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • I ride a Road Rat and have just ordered new bits for wheels and a fancy new fixed disc surly hub, this means my Mini Vbrakes will be coming off it. its going to take a week or so for me to get all my new bits and the wheels built but happy to sell them on to help your budget (though they're not hugely expensive anyway) as they're mini you can run them with drops without a 'travel agent' or similar.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Dolan track frameset for £199 new
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • davet2
    davet2 Posts: 44
    Possibly un-helpful but I put a wanted up for a pompino, and got a day 01 for £250. Might be worth having a gander for something secondhand?
  • mroli wrote:
    Do you like red and white?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dedacciai-pista ... tAodo2cAvQ

at £300 down from over £700.

They look lush.

That is rather nice. Sod the budget.
  • pangolin
    mroli wrote:

They look lush.

No! Do not sod the budget! The budget is important!!

It does look nice doesn't it...
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    pangolin wrote:
    mroli wrote:

They look lush.

No! Do not sod the budget! The budget is important!!

It does look nice doesn't it...

It's got no mudguard eyelets - get the Pompino !
    Misguided Idealist
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    edited October 2012
    Crudracers or SKS blades. Dedacciai do the tubing for loads of bikes including Condor's range - I reckon for £300, that's pretty good - especially as OP had most of the other bits lying around...

Oh - and you can always pick up the other parts from the sales section on here pretty cheap - or even try lfgss.com - always loads of stuff there at good prices. Nothing against the on-one, am sure it is fantastic, but you'd be able to build the Deda for not a lot outside of your budget... :twisted: