DH on Sunday 18th November - Cwmcarn or FoD?

Proutster
Proutster Posts: 785
edited November 2012 in MTB rides
So who's up for a day's DH on Sunday 18th November?

Welshkev needs to christen his new BigHit and I want to see the effect of the 1.5 degree reducer cups on my SX!!

The choice is Cwmcarn with the uplift or Forest of Dean (without uplift as I'm told it's only a short push). There are still spaces showing on Cwmdown's webbie.

Which is least affected by wet weather? Does FoD get muddy amongst the trees after rain? I guess that Cwmcarn is more "all weather"?

Will be a good time to christen the (about to be purchased today) GoPro as well - we might get some stacks for laughs...

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Proutster wrote:
    So who's up for a day's DH on Sunday 18th November?

Welshkev needs to christen his new BigHit and I want to see the effect of the 1.5 degree reducer cups on my SX!!

The choice is Cwmcarn with the uplift or Forest of Dean (without uplift as I'm told it's only a short push). There are still spaces showing on Cwmdown's webbie.

Which is least affected by wet weather? Does FoD get muddy amongst the trees after rain? I guess that Cwmcarn is more "all weather"?

Will be a good time to christen the (about to be purchased today) GoPro as well - we might get some stacks for laughs...

hi mate, i was just going to message you. me and ben (and 9 others from the club) are booked on the uplift at CC, get on it, there was still 12 plces left last night when i booked :D
  • Proutster
    welshkev wrote:
    hi mate, i was just going to message you. me and ben (and 9 others from the club) are booked on the uplift at CC, get on it, there was still 12 plces left last night when i booked :D

Done then - ignore the poll!!

Cwmcarn it is - I'll book the uplift now.
  • welshkev
    Proutster wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Done then - ignore the poll!!

Cwmcarn it is - I'll book the uplift now.

nice one 8)
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    I'll get on the case too - if you don't mind
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • Richie63
    just booked sort out lifts etc Mark
  • welshkev
    Excellent, this will be my first uplift, I can't wait :-) considering I live 10 mins away it's a bit sad lol
  • cool.... I'm on this one, got a bit of practice in last weekend, the trail is running sweeeeeet.
  • Proutster
    Richie63 wrote:

Well done matey, we can either go in yours or mine & split the diesel 50/50.

Great ride last night by the way - really enjoyed it. I'll have to try to remember that route for the day-time. How much of it was cheeky?
  • Proutster
    cool.... I'm on this one, got a bit of practice in last weekend, the trail is running sweeeeeet.

Practice? Sounds like cheating to me....
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Would love to come along for this, but Sundays are pretty much a no no at the moment for me due to family problems lets say...

Keep me informed of any saturday (or weekday for that matter) events :)
  • DodgeT wrote:
    Would love to come along for this, but Sundays are pretty much a no no at the moment for me due to family problems lets say...

Keep me informed of any saturday (or weekday for that matter) events :)

Ah, Pants!! Hope it gets sorted etc.

Are you still keen for Antur Stiniog on Saturday 1st December?
  • Oooo. If you made it the 8th December I could possibly make Antur Stiniog... I'm back in Northern Land that weekend!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Proutster wrote:
    Are you still keen for Antur Stiniog on Saturday 1st December?

Should be good for that, can't wait to get the Tues there.
  • Oooo. If you made it the 8th December I could possibly make Antur Stiniog... I'm back in Northern Land that weekend!

That's a shame - can't do the weekend around the 8th Dec as that's the start of my Xmas visiting season - Xmas party in Crawley on the Friday, followed by visiting the 'rents in Dorset on Sat/Sun.
  • Richie63
    Proutster wrote:
    Richie63 wrote:

Well done matey, we can either go in yours or mine & split the diesel 50/50.

Great ride last night by the way - really enjoyed it. I'll have to try to remember that route for the day-time. How much of it was cheeky?

well Not that much TBH but best not to do the drilling section on a sunny day in summer we tend to do that loop as a mid week or night ride anyway
  • Getting excited about this now!!

Accom is booked for Richie & I, who's up for a drink or two on Saturday evening?

Newly purchased GoPro will be christened with lots of footage of some very slow bimbling, along with no air off any of the jumps and generally crap skills :oops:
  • Well the trail is running nice fella!!

Went over with Kev and Jim on Sunday for a play...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4UrkVgIokg

Bit slippy underfoot! Had a few washouts with my minions so I'll be dropping my pressures next weekend!!
  • welshkev
    Can I just say that that poor excuse I do for a jump is a result of me fettling my suspension and seeing what was working :oops:
  • Haha, i'm waiting for Jims vid to show my dismal effort! Seems he mainly got videos of his feet/the ground though!
  • Looks good!

Is that the red from the top?

And was the last descent the final bit of the Twrch red? The one where you ended up in the undergrowth :D
  • welshkev
    Proutster wrote:
    Looks good!

Is that the red from the top?

And was the last descent the final bit of the Twrch red? The one where you ended up in the undergrowth :D

Yeah it was the red dh from the top and the final section was the twrch. We'd done about 5 push ups of the bottom section before we got the bus up for a full run do we thought we'd do the twitch final descent on the last run :-)
  • Yeah, the Twrch last decent is bloody brilliant on a big rig!

Plan for me is to do 1 full run on the red then hit the black... unless its raining, then the black can knob off.
  • Plan for me is to do 1 full run on the red then hit the black... unless its raining, then the black can knob off.

The black looks a bit too steep & rooty for me, can't imagine it's much fun when the roots are wet?

Bimbling down the red all day for me :oops:
  • The top black is good fun, only a few roots! There is just the one corner that I struggle with, its really tight and steep and my barge is quite lengthy so its hard to get around!
    00:38 on the below!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4GjLpgG ... re=mh_lolz

Problem with the red upper is it seems to go uphill after the 1st 100 yards!

The middle black is a bit so so... in the wet it can turn into a bit of a bog :(
  • The top black is good fun, only a few roots! There is just the one corner that I struggle with, its really tight and steep and my barge is quite lengthy so its hard to get around!

Christ on a bike!! Is that footage at 1.5 x normal speed?

That lad wants to slow down or he'll hurt himself.......
  • I know... bloody nutter!

Didn't go off the road drop but pulled a whip on the gap before the bridge drop and cleared both the massive tables!
  • welshkev
    Proutster wrote:
    The top black is good fun, only a few roots! There is just the one corner that I struggle with, its really tight and steep and my barge is quite lengthy so its hard to get around!

that really doesn't show how steep it is in some places!
  • welshkev wrote:
    Proutster wrote:
    The top black is good fun, only a few roots! There is just the one corner that I struggle with, its really tight and steep and my barge is quite lengthy so its hard to get around!

that really doesn't show how steep it is in some places!

That's another good reason for me to not be going down there then!!

Red FTW...
  • ordered a 32gb memory card for the contour... will be getting lots of vids if it turns up in time :D
  • Fell off the RL on Tuesday, don't think I'll be able to ride Sunday :(