2013 Gear

Comments

• esafosfina1
    esafosfina1 Posts: 153
    I can't remember when, or who (think it may have been JV when he rode for CA) but there was an American pro that had his own shoes custom made... they too were hideous!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    I can't remember when, or who (think it may have been JV when he rode for CA) but there was an American pro that had his own shoes custom made... they too were hideous!

For it was he.
    I find it hard to believe that JV - the Willy Wonka of cycling - has ever worn anything hideous, though!

Lighter than anything else at the time - were they made by Rocket7? At a time when a lot of folk were in Carnacs (weren't they your shoe of choice, Esa?), which were akin to wearing comfy breeze blocks, JV's rationale of reducing rotational made sense. His shoes did look as though they'd become like wearing cheesy soap-dishes in the rain, though...
  • esafosfina1
    Heya OC... I was a Time rider, but I did use Carnacs a bit... (think that Carnac made Time, or vice versa...) Good memory!

I can't seem to find and pics of the JV shoes... I do remember O'Grady and Vogels taking the piss out of them mercilessly!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    JV is a bit... Odd when it comes to matters of a sartorial nature, would love to see these shoes.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    These?

RKvaughters.jpg

Seems to be on a mountain bike here:
    Vaughters.jpg
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Them's the ones...
    Think he changed from his road bike to MTB at summit for rough descent in Saturn Classic (2001-ish?)...
  • esafosfina1
    Yep, them's them. Before he had them 'branded' up they looked like bloody clogs...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Them's the ones...
    Think he changed from his road bike to MTB at summit for rough descent in Saturn Classic (2001-ish?)...
    Didn't know you could do that? Or is this a special race? (I've not heard of it before)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    BOLIDE™ by PINARELLO

375108_439841442771928_1260634915_n.jpg

Ugly!
    cartoon.jpg
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    image not showing?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Doobz wrote:
    BOLIDE™ by PINARELLO

375108_439841442771928_1260634915_n.jpg

Ugly!

Doesn't look like a Pinarello.. Graal looks much better.
  • I like it.

Presumably this is intended for Wiggo is it? With the gold colouring?
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Its multo bling
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It certainly looks fast - and Wiggins would be a good guess with the setup too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Richmond Racer
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... talia.html

15% less drag and 5% lighter than the Holy Graal apparerently
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I like it.

Presumably this is intended for Wiggo is it? With the gold colouring?

And the mechanical gearing! :wink:

(and yes, I do know that he's been using a mechanical groupset on his TT bike for a while now as gives slightly longer aerobars than an electronic setup...)
  • I know the lack of osymmetric chain rings was long since noted, and I would love to hear from Wiggo exactly why he changed back, unless there is an interview out there which I haven't seen?
  • Richmond Racer
    Is it because they'e just not so suited to the shorter steeper climbs of the Giro?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Is it because they'e just not so suited to the shorter steeper climbs of the Giro?
    I know the lack of osymmetric chain rings was long since noted, and I would love to hear from Wiggo exactly why he changed back, unless there is an interview out there which I haven't seen?

I dunno about him but I find they are fine for long draggy climbs, on the flat and Time Trials, but for punchy explosive climbs and accelerations they are sh|t -
    cartoon.jpg
  • Richmond Racer
    Doobz wrote:
    I know the lack of osymmetric chain rings was long since noted, and I would love to hear from Wiggo exactly why he changed back, unless there is an interview out there which I haven't seen?

I dunno about him but I find they are fine for long draggy climbs, on the flat and Time Trials, but for punchy explosive climbs and accelerations they are sh|t -

Probably exactly how Wiggo would explain it
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    gilbert.jpg
    tumblr_mlil2dP5wd1qflvjfo1_1280.png
    specy.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Lots more photos of the Bolide here including with Wiggins riding it:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 003&type=1

15% more aero and 5% lighter than the Graal.

01_pop.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Wiggins is not riding Osy's.

'I've come off those silly rings now'.

Ouch if true. Will be looking out for them in the Giro...

1.48 in:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22340878
    Contador is the Greatest
  • alihisgreat
    Why is the blanco guy wearing an OPQS helmet?
  • frenchfighter
    Well spotted and the reason for posting. I think it was because the helmet cracked in an earlier crash so they borrowed one. From St 5 TofTurkey.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • esafosfina1
    Why is the blanco guy wearing an OPQS helmet?

Yeah... well noticed! :shock:
  • esafosfina1
    I may be completely wrong... but with regards to the new Pinarello TT bike's rear brakes... are 'farings' not banned by the UCI? They used to be...
  • Richmond Racer
    I may be completely wrong... but with regards to the new Pinarello TT bike's rear brakes... are 'farings' not banned by the UCI? They used to be...

Much discussion on this subject on the interwebz today. UCI have approved it though. 'course that could mean diddly when a bored UCI commissaire fancies brightening up his day on Sunday at the TTT, I s'pose
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    No doubt its quick but that bike looks fugly
  • alihisgreat

If the brake is attached to the 'fairing' then it becomes structural and would be fine

Not sure about the cover for when the front mech hanger is removed though