2013 Gear

Comments

• Merci.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joe-bike.jpg

Pump fail!
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Is it me or all pretty much all the kits this year a massive disappointment?

There were some really good kits around last year, but this year they are all unimaginative, garish or just plain boring! (Rapha)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • goonz
    531668_10151496453933900_1970364077_n.jpg
    Wiggins's bike.

Apparently the reason no osy rings used:
    I have an acquaintance that rides for Sky and asked him what the low down on the use of these rings is. Apparently, Wiggo doesn't train on them on his road bike most of the year and neither do a lot of the guys that used them last year. The reason is the shifting- its simply so sh!tty its annoying in training. Also, some of the guys feel that they're only useful for the peak period and its partially mental. I guess some of them also find it easy to adapt to them. A few have ditched them permanently as the shifting is that bad with mechanical I guess.

Doesn't make sense to me. If the shifting is so bad, would you really go into a race thinking you could slip up at a crucial moment...

Surprised Wiggo used it last year in races without any issues.....or is that because he used electric shifters?
  • goonz wrote:
    Surprised Wiggo used it last year in races without any issues.....or is that because he used electric shifters?

Didn't he drop his chain in the final TT at Romandie?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    goonz wrote:
    531668_10151496453933900_1970364077_n.jpg
    Wiggins's bike.

Apparently the reason no osy rings used:
    I have an acquaintance that rides for Sky and asked him what the low down on the use of these rings is. Apparently, Wiggo doesn't train on them on his road bike most of the year and neither do a lot of the guys that used them last year. The reason is the shifting- its simply so sh!tty its annoying in training. Also, some of the guys feel that they're only useful for the peak period and its partially mental. I guess some of them also find it easy to adapt to them. A few have ditched them permanently as the shifting is that bad with mechanical I guess.

Doesn't make sense to me. If the shifting is so bad, would you really go into a race thinking you could slip up at a crucial moment...

I seem to remember him dropping his chain in the TT at Romandie. Still won though.

Of course, if you race 10,000KM a year you're bound to have some shifting issues at some point, regardless of which setup your using.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    joe-bike.jpg

Pump fail!

*shudder*

I had that pump 'fitted' to the frame of my Giant TCR. Hit a pot hole pump fell out of the frame, got caught in the rear wheel and clattered off the seat stays.

£400 odd of damage to the bike and a bent pump.

Better with a pump in the jersey pocket or a CO2 inflator in the saddle bag.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • goonz
    Interesting choice of pedals, I dont think I have ever seen those used in a race though?
  • *shudder*

I had that pump 'fitted' to the frame of my Giant TCR. Hit a pot hole pump fell out of the frame, got caught in the rear wheel and clattered off the seat stays.

I had a similar pump come loose the first time I rode through Arenberg! Didn't come off as I had a strap like Dombrowski is using, but still not recomended. :shock:
  • goonz wrote:
    Interesting choice of pedals, I dont think I have ever seen those used in a race though?

They are Speedplays, aren't they? Been used in lots of races.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    goonz wrote:

They are Speedplays, aren't they? Been used in lots of races.
    Er, yeah - last 2 winners of the Tour won on them, Bertie now rides on them, Cancellara too, as does Sagan...Were you being serious?
  • goonz
    My bad, I didnt think they were...
  • They are the wrong colour though...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I thought I read somewhere that you got a bigger gain if you used Osymetric rings only occasionally, bit like putting your best wheels on for races?
  • inseine wrote:
    I thought I read somewhere that you got a bigger gain if you used Osymetric rings only occasionally, bit like putting your best wheels on for races?

Yeah, that's one school of thought... just don't try them on a fixie! :wink:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    joe-bike.jpg
    What's with the man-child spokey dokey?
  • *shudder*

I had a similar pump come loose the first time I rode through Arenberg! Didn't come off as I had a strap like Dombrowski is using, but still not recomended. :shock:

I have that Park Tools pump too, never fell off, but rattled like hell. CO2 only now.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    They are constantly swapping between the Osymetric and round rings. Apparently the gain is in every time you swap your pedalling technique improves as it adapts to the change in rings. Obviously they race on the Osymetric as they are probably paid X amount of ££ to do so for publicity.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    srm.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Pioneer powermeter for Blanco. Still looks like a prototype with those cable ties... Nice and clean-cut otherwise.

8urehy2u.jpg

foto42490.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    BEmRx7kCAAEnrbI.png
    cartoon.jpg
  • You could think one person could do that. :?
  • inkyfingers
    You could think one person could do that. :?

This is France, mess with the Unions at your peril!
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • nickellis
    nickellis Posts: 239

This is France, mess with the Unions at your peril!

Exactly, sack the man on the back, and his mate driving goes on strike. Then the famers blockade Calais, the signalmen stop the TGV and Eurostar. Then you've end up with Operation Stack on the M20 in Kent.

Leave him alone, a butterfly flaps its wings, France goes on strike!
    Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
    Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inkyfingers
    I'm sure that's very aero and all that, but it doesn't really look any better than a standard £2/3k road bike.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

Nooooooo, quite a few races seem to have the girl with the lovely smile. They can't get rid of her, she must add at least an extra 20 mins to the break.