How much power loss after 6 weeks off - hols/illness

ziglar
ziglar Posts: 112
Started cycling in Jul/Aug with absolutely no background of any exercise since I was a teenager (35-40 years ago :-().

I seemed to be doing OK but I went on holiday in mid September for 2 weeks and since then have had some kind of cold/flu like symptoms which I had thought I had gotten over.

Went out today for 20 mile ride (tried one last week but didn't push very hard) and found that I was taking slight inclines in 53/15-16-17 for inclines that 6 weeks go I was taking in 53/12-13. I found it very hard to get any power delivery and my cadence struggled to get over 70 with an average of 51 over 20 miles (some slight inclines but mostly flattish).

What drop off in performance would you expect for 6 week layoff? I realise it depends greatly on your levels before the layoff but just wanted to get some input from others.

Not sure if this is better placed in the Beginners forum.

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    ziglar wrote:
    Went out today for 20 mile ride (tried one last week but didn't push very hard) and found that I was taking slight inclines in 53/15-16-17 for inclines that 6 weeks go I was taking in 53/12-13.
    :shock: I think you need to gear down a bit! Those gears on inclines sound massive for someone who only started cycling this summer - I wouldn't even expect you to be on a 53 on inclines let alone using a 12 or 13 sprocket.
    I found it very hard to get any power delivery and my cadence struggled to get over 70 with an average of 51 over 20 miles (some slight inclines but mostly flattish).
    See what I mean? An average cadence of 90rpm is not a bad aim. 51rpm on average is really not good at all.
    What drop off in performance would you expect for 6 week layoff? I realise it depends greatly on your levels before the layoff but just wanted to get some input from others.
    I'd expect an enormous drop in performance - but don't let that put you off. The sooner you're back riding regularly, the sooner you will get back to your previous fitness. You'll get back quicker the second time round too. Just make sure you pedal a lot quicker!

Ruth
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    ziglar wrote:
    Started cycling in Jul/Aug with absolutely no background of any exercise since I was a teenager (35-40 years ago :-().

What drop off in performance would you expect for 6 week layoff?
    Most of it.

1) Does it matter?

2) What are you going to do about it?
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!