Sean Yates Quits

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,731
    Kimmage doesn't like cycling.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Sean Yates was always a waste of time anyway imo, so good news ......
  • giant man wrote:

Yeah, being lead DS at the Tour plus Algarve, P-N, Romandie and the Dauphine this year...utter waste of time. Sod paying him out - they should demand this year's salary back :roll:
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave1, maybe organise a blind date for just Wiggins and Kimmage and then run like hell?

With their personalities, plus the mass of detracting stuff that Kimmage has put out about Wiggins and Sky over the last 2.5 years...cant see it happening.

Fact is that a huge mistake was made by Sky back in 2010 with that Tour invite and Kimmage. They should have known that he would never ever let it go, and has been a thorn in their side ever since.

To me Kimmage's cred is so enhanced now..it's in the riders best interest to maintain good relationships with him otherwise I will wonder if they are of the omerta.

I've just added to my post above - I kind of agree with you

Yes, would really be ideal if kimmage had an official position within the sport now. That would be great to see.

To paraphrase Kimmage, he doesn't have a patent on clean cycling. To go from a situation where you have omerta to one where if you don't have him hanging around the whole time, probably being a bit of a pain, then you're dirty - that doesn't look like progress.

Don't see why DB or Wiggo have to apologise to Kimmage - they decided (admittedly at the last minute) to block his request for access all areas during the teams first crack at the TdF - and Kimmage and the twitterati called them out for having something to hide. It's a bit like me saying i want to have the keys to your house to poke around where and when I like, in case you have a kid in your basement. If you refuse then by inference you are peado.

However saying that I have respect for Kimmage and his desire to get to the truth when many others turned a blind eye. Some of the press conferences where he asked questions of Lance show the guy has some serious balls. Idealisitc I know but I would like to see the UCI match the now defunct "fighting fund" and get Kimmage set up a totally independent confidential whistle-blowing body that might give young riders the chance to break the omerta.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    giant man wrote:

Yeah, being lead DS at the Tour plus Algarve, P-N, Romandie and the Dauphine this year...utter waste of time. Sod paying him out - they should demand this year's salary back :roll:

I believe he was also DS when Il Falco won that little italian race in '05.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I wonder what the effect of this mass exodus is having on team morale. Yes these people are ex dopers and the current riders and teams are anti doping, but they will have formed relationships with these people. Yates and Julich etc have probably helped, legitimately, a lot of riders within sky, and those riders will have no doubt known about their past misdemeanors. Then all of a sudden they are being forced out.
    Mañana
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    pb21 wrote:
    I wonder what the effect of this mass exodus is having on team morale. Yes these people are ex dopers and the current riders and teams are anti doping, but they will have formed relationships with these people. Yates and Julich etc have probably helped, legitimately, a lot of riders within sky, and those riders will have no doubt known about their past misdemeanors. Then all of a sudden they are being forced out.

it's a terrible shame to see Yates go..I am sure he has done a great job there. Hope he is not lost to the sport..but I can see why Brailsford had to get tougher
  • pb21 wrote:

Not sure about knowing about 'past misdemeanours'. I think the younger riders in particular dont go looking for it as a matter of course, and I certainly cant see the likes of Julich or de Jongh discussing it with them. Cant see how it wont have some kind of effect on morale. Froome and Porte are very close to Julich, and Wiggo to Yates. Though I cant believe Yates in particular has been a surprise to Wiggo, I bet the whole shooting match has to Froome and Porte as the full story via the USADA report came out. I dont think the younger guys go looking for the dirt, and the slightly older ones (e.g. a Matt Haymen) operate on a 'don't ask in case you don't like the answers' basis.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

it's a terrible shame to see Yates go..I am sure he has done a great job there. Hope he is not lost to the sport..but I can see why Brailsford had to get tougher

I hope not, but I can see him saying screw this for a game of soldiers and getting out of it.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Dave_1 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

I hope not, but I can see him saying screw this for a game of soldiers and getting out of it.
    yes, after all he's put in..must be hard to, to see the contempt people have for him down in the clinic due to associations with people he had little choice but to work with 1983-1996..you just go where you can get a contract.
  • http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17553_8202309,00.html

Yates retires, no admission.

An unsatisfactory conclusion.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

yes, after all he's put in..must be hard to, to see the contempt people have for him down in the clinic due to associations with people he had little choice but to work with 1983-1996..you just go where you can get a contract.

So many farkwits who are pseudo-team managers, pro riders or DS's, as well as holding the key to morality. Makes me sick. I'll always have a lot of respect and affection for Yatesy. I dont think there can be many people who really care about British cycling over the last 20 years who would feel any different from me in that. Selfless domestique, phenomenal descender and just a decent decent guy. A lot of the younger riders like G will have learnt a lot from him and will always have the highest respect for him, I reckon.

Sean, you're well off out of the whole toxic circus this has become.

no, I'm sorry. He's been driven out of the whole poisonous charade this has all become. Just because there's no cringing, tearful admission accompanying the announcement to give everyone some sick sense of satisfaction...Jesus, it really is like the mob baying.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17553_8202309,00.html

no, I'm sorry. He's been driven out of the whole poisonous charade this has all become. Just because there's no cringing, tearful admission accompanying the announcement to give everyone some sick sense of satisfaction...Jesus, it really is like the mob baying.

I have to say I preferred Julich's honesty. If anyone thought that the fall out from this whole doping scandal nuclear explosion was going to be noble dignified and pain free then they are incredibly naive

However, if Yates didn't dope then he shouldn't resign. Simple as that, but his no coff no job demeanour is all a bit lock stock and two smoking barrels isn't it?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • They're in a totally toxic situation and are trying to claw their way out.

If things carry on like this, I wonder whether Sky will end up pulling out.
  • Yellow Peril
    They're in a totally toxic situation and are trying to claw their way out.

I don't think so. Never has a team or a sponsor ever had such the moral high ground. At the moment they are the vanguard for a clean sport. Compare that with Murdoch's other publicity over the last couple of years and this really is manner from heaven. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Dave B is working on ending third world poverty and starvation as we speak.
    @JaunePeril

• They're in a totally toxic situation and are trying to claw their way out.

I don't think so. Never has a team or a sponsor ever had such the moral high ground. At the moment they are the vanguard for a clean sport. Compare that with Murdoch's other publicity over the last couple of years and this really is manner from heaven. I wouldn't be surprised to discover that Dave B is working on ending third world poverty and starvation as we speak.

Well, that is true.

As for the last point I hear on the grapevine that DB has Teamskychef on the case...(as well as doing O/T next season as driver and DS)
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20113671

Quoted

Sky said Yates's decision was not related to doping allegations.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Got to be said the Sky PR machine are just terrible at giving the US Twitter Taliban/Asylum Crazies ammunition....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    I think Yates is too friendly with Armstrong to be spilling any of his beans.
    Mañana
  • Yellow Peril
    Well if he won't cough it up there is not much else they can say I suppose.The real shame is that if he is guilty of a dodgy past then he's missing a golden opportunity to make a clean breast of it and start afresh elsewhere. No matter how good he is at his job I wouldn't employ him now because I don't trust him. However, if my team took the Garmin approach then I'd probably employ Julich tomorrow.
    @JaunePeril

• MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    On wikipedia, it says - and i quote - "In 1989 Yates tested positive in a doping test in the first stage of Torhout-Werchter." What is that about? I know its wikipedia but its sourced (le Soir). If that's true I dont see there can be any argument with the Sky policy.

I can see both sides of this really, on the one hand the speculation can make it hard for people, but then I think after the radio interview emphatic denial, this retirement does save some sort of grace without having to do a ridiculous u-turn.

If he's got no past, he's got no worries.
    If he's got a past then he's chosen to uphold his personal Omerta over the best interests of the team.
    "Retirement" at this time, leaves nobody smelling of roses.
    Sky's flawed policy leaves little room for manoeuvre.
    Opens up yet more questions, while looking for answers.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver wrote:
    Got to be said the Sky PR machine are just terrible at giving the US Twitter Taliban/Asylum Crazies ammunition....

For me, that's the bright side to this... :lol:

Let's be honest the Sky PR machine isnt about shutting up the Twitter Taliban and Asylum loonies - doesnt matter whether they all went and shacked up with the Sky team for a year they'll never stop banging on that Sky are all cheating doping lying bas5ards. The Sky PR machine is aimed at the general British public, the growing number of Brits now following cycling as a sport and also starting to ride bikes. Because that's who Sky as sponsor want to connect with.

I just bumped into a couple of non-cycling neighbours who only started watching the Tour daily this year because of Wiggo and the team, and are even talking about going out to France to see a couple of stages next year. They mentioned the shocking news about all this doping business, and wasnt it good that the team were taking a stand and clearing out anyone who had done any of that stuff. That's the kind of reaction that Sky want from the public.

You dance to the sponsors tune. Or lose them.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    It always amuses me that a Murdoch company should be dictating what constitutes ethical behaviour.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    LangerDan wrote:
    It always amuses me that a Murdoch company should be dictating what constitutes ethical behaviour.

If I was to race my bike against a bunch of overweight, geriatric women then I might appear to be going quite fast. It's not hard to appear morally superior when your rivals are led by the likes of Riis, Bruyneel and Savio.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    If I was to race my bike against a bunch of overweight, geriatric women then I might appear to be going quite fast.
    Or you might appear to be going VERY slowly :twisted:
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    If he's got no past, he's got no worries.
    If he's got a past then he's chosen to uphold his personal Omerta over the best interests of the team.
    "Retirement" at this time, leaves nobody smelling of roses.
    Sky's flawed policy leaves little room for manoeuvre.
    Opens up yet more questions, while looking for answers.

Yes it opens up questions, but these are questions that Team Sky don't have to deal with, so in that respect their policy has worked.

The last thing they want is allegations and gossip about the team members with a shadier past (we all know who they are) dragging on for months and months only to be resurrected next season when Sky would be hoping for some good publicity.

I imagine they're hoping that if they deal with the most obviously rotten members of their team now, the finger of moral judgement will be pointing at the other teams later on.
  • if they get through this, there are the delights of Mantova, Puerto and Padova to distract people and the press - and they involve and implicate lots of those dirty rotten johnny foreigners
  • Dave B should go, he recruited riders he knew were dirty.

He safe is Rod I?

This could take out the entire management, bar none. Or it'll look like a bs pr exercise.

Interesting..where's your evidence to support your claim that he knew that riders were dirty?

Its already been established that he was lied to by Barry in 2009, and then again in 2010

Rod Ellingworth was never a pro btw.

Rod was a pro and spent some time racing in Europe.

As for the rest, I have it on good authority that Dave B was aware of certain riders that he subsequently hired.