Heart rate vs output

nick_1978
nick_1978 Posts: 34
Hi, I'm in need of a bit of advice really...
I use a HR strap on my garmin whilst training, and seem to get good times and regular top 10 placings on Strava segments.
However whilst looking at others HR readings they are always a fair bit lower than mine.
I'm 34 and have read up on max heart rates so maybe the other guys are older, therefore HR's would be lower?

I consider myself a pretty fit cyclist, I get in about 100 miles training a week and raced national level as a youth / junior and have been cycling / keeping fit since then.
So it's not like I am an unfit novice, it's just the high HR compared to others is a little confusing...
My HR rises pretty quick but also drops as quick, is that a good sign?
Any recommendations for training going forward?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Nothing strange about either of those. The second point you mention is called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate ... heart_rate

Comparing your own HR to someone elses is completely pointless FYI.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    nick_1978 wrote:
    However whilst looking at others HR readings they are always a fair bit lower than mine.

Heart rates aren't comparable between people, so its completely irrelevant to compare yours to others.
  • Thanks guys, I do understand that.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Even amongst pro cyclists, who are all by definition extremely fit and able, there is massive variation in heart rates. It's just one of those things that varies between individuals, like height or muscle fibre composition. Comparisons are only relevant to your own HR at different levels of fitness or health or at different stages in your life.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    HR is not even always comparable against yourself, there are many reasons why HR can change for the same PE or power, and I would stress about it to be honest.
  • Trev The Rev
    Trev The Rev Posts: 1,040
    SBezza wrote:
    HR is not even always comparable against yourself, there are many reasons why HR can change for the same PE or power, and I would stress about it to be honest.

Spot on.

There are so many factors which affect heart rate it should only be used as a very rough guide if at all.