Do you cross train?...include other sports

TakeTurns
TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
edited November 2012 in Training, fitness and health
I was wondering how many of you cross train and how beneficial do you think it is.

I know that doing leg workouts at the gym will help with cycling power and so on. But I want to know will doing sports such as running also help? I have recently started running and feel that I get a better cardiovascular workout than I do from cycling. I'm able to run up a hill and keep my heart rate higher for longer than I would if I were to cycle up it.

Do you think cross training is a waste of time and your time would be better spent cycling to improve on the bike?

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Whatever works for you...
    this topic just brings up old arguments and opinions and
    no evidence
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    TakeTurns wrote:
    I was wondering how many of you cross train and how beneficial do you think it is.

I know that doing leg workouts at the gym will help with cycling power and so on.
    Aerobic power is a product of cardiovascular fitness. You're referring to some form of weighted exercise,whether machine,free or bodyweight. For general fitness why not? But if you want to get better at cycling ie: improve sustainable power output, then nothing beats getting on your bike.
    But I want to know will doing sports such as running also help? I have recently started running and feel that I get a better cardiovascular workout than I do from cycling.
    Will it help cycling directly? No, there is no harm in doing something else if the weather isn't on side.
    I'm able to run up a hill and keep my heart rate higher for longer than I would if I were to cycle up it.
    The principal of fitness is to do things more efficiently, ie: lower HR
    Do you think cross training is a waste of time and your time would be better spent cycling to improve on the bike?
    There is no substitute for cycling to improve cycling ( unless there is an inherent professionally diagnosed issue)

But yes, I partake in a mixture of sports.
  • Cross train: Yes.
    Waste of time: No.
    Does it "help" my cycling: Don't really care. I don't think my cycling level is high enough for me to worry about it. Don't think it hurts either. Also, some days it's easier to get out for an hour to swim, run and more fun to even play a team sport. Mixes it up a bit.

Helps if your cross training is something you enjoy.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    No serious roadie would even consider doing any other kind of physical activity.

I did a bit of running and swimming last year .
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    Anything that might help you avoid injury would probably be worthwhile. On the other hand, anything that increases your risk of injury is probably best avoided.

As above, if you were 100% serious you'd probably do nothing but ride the bike. Do other stuff if you have other sports to compete in, or have excess time on your hands and would like some variety.
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Thanks for the input.
    The running isn't going to be taking over the cycling. I'm an early riser so I'll be doing short morning jogs. The preparation for a ride takes far too long and is therefore ruled out. I will however ride in the afternoon/evening.

Hadn't thought of the risk of picking up an injury. I haven't really done much running so the ligaments won't be used to it. Will make sure to only do it a couple times a week.

It also gives some of the muscles used during cycling a rest so it can be considered a good recovery day workout too I suppose?
  • I use cycling as cross training for my rowing, which is my full time job. So the other way round I find cycling is good for maintaining form with rowing whilst injured and also for something else to do as a change of session once a week.
    Cycling is pretty hard to match in terms of length of time you can spend doing it in one go whilst maintaining a certain intensity.
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I think it cant do any harm this time of year. I dont speak with experience or from what i have read or been told by others, but the way i see it, I have just joined a gym, havent been to one for 10 years and this time last year, when the weather got really bad, cold windy I would stay in and only ride twice a week on my MTB.

This year, I have joined a gym, and I have found a love for rowing and running, also using SPIN classes once a week. I get out on the bike twice a week still, but my thinking is this has to help over what i did last year (i hope) and will be fitter going into the new year.
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    Last years I used to ice-skating all over the winter, at least once a week, often twice :)
    Just for fun. But if you don't just ride rounds with a speed of pedestrian, but play games or sprint/run fast, it gives a good stress to the legs, and especially back muscles!
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • wacka
    wacka Posts: 169
    60 days Insanity workout DVD's by Shawn T, bloody hard but bloody good!
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    I just did 20 press-ups
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Real cross training is called Triathlon. :)
  • I found swimming really helped my CV endurance, that's just me though...
  • Having returned to triathlon after predominantly cycling for the last 12 months I'm surprised how low my HR is running at levels I used find harder. That said it is finite, my endurance running is pants
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    play 5 a side football indoor once a week and we have a brand new velodrome in Glasgow that I get on about 2 hours a week. Still able to get plenty of time outdoor cycling at the moment and doing core and weights in th garage 2/3 times a week. Will just book more veldrome sessions once the weather gets worse. Anything that keeps me off the turbo until I have to really.
  • I run almost every day as well as ride. I tend to race over the winter months so I step up the running in autumn, then it usually dies down over the spring/summer. I may look to start bike racing next year, if I do then running will get relegated I guess to a couple of times a week, or as long as it takes me to get bored with it again. Really enjoying doing both at the moment though.
  • I do weights 2-3 times per week. A full body workout usually - squats, weighted pull ups, dips etc. Trying to back off from heavier lifting. I also run (jog probably more accurate) 1-2 a week.

I'd also like to start swimming!

Her indoors is likely to go nuts if I do anything else though. She's starting to talk about the third person in our relationship - the new bike currently kept in the living room!
  • I r*n , but that's because I enjoy both sports.

I also do weight training, well, lift pints of beer after playing golf.....
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Thanks for the input.
    The running isn't going to be taking over the cycling. I'm an early riser so I'll be doing short morning jogs. The preparation for a ride takes far too long and is therefore ruled out. I will however ride in the afternoon/evening.

Hadn't thought of the risk of picking up an injury. I haven't really done much running so the ligaments won't be used to it. Will make sure to only do it a couple times a week.

It also gives some of the muscles used during cycling a rest so it can be considered a good recovery day workout too I suppose?
    If you genuinely think a run will improve your recovery, go for it. The same goes for running in the morning before a later ride. I can't see how this would do anything other than reduce your potential to get a good workout on the bike.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    TakeTurns wrote:

I know that doing leg workouts at the gym will help with cycling power and so on. But I want to know will doing sports such as running also help? I have recently started running and feel that I get a better cardiovascular workout than I do from cycling. I'm able to run up a hill and keep my heart rate higher for longer than I would if I were to cycle up it.

The main benefit of cross-training is in keeping your body balanced.

I pretty much did no cross training over the past few months and my ITB and quads tightened up and I now have patellar tendon tracking issues.

So I've been prescribed strengthening to improve the balance and muscle interactions in my legs.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If it all works for you then fine.
    Personally I dont get any issues with just riding and then riding more.
    My fixation is with getting top ten finishes in the 2013 road season on a regular basis and for me, running or pilates or whatevr isnt going to deliver that... as I say... it's my fixation
  • Interesting thread. In the past i have found that, for me, running form hasnt really transferred across to cycling form. Not as much as cycling form transfers across to cycling form anyway. However, me and a friend have given ourselves a challenge of running a half marathon in sub 1:30 next spring so this winter will involve me doing far more hard efforts running than i maybe did before. Cycling will probably just be one ride a week of around an hour with a few hard efforts. Be interesting to see what level my cycling is in April next year.

I did a 10k yesterday and my heart rate was around 176 throughout which is the sort of level that i wouldnt be able to cycle at. Its also above my time trial effort heart rate of 12 years ago :oops: The running was pretty much non-stop though whereas i find my cycling involves more slowing down and speeding up (for roundabouts etc).
  • I think it all comes down to Personal Preference...

I like to do some weight training in the mornings with a short jog to the gym. Will then do 30-45 minutes on the turbo in the evening and 50-60 miles out on the bike at the weekend. Could focus more on my cycling but I mostly ride for pleasure as part of my overall exercise routine. I think if cycling is your main focus nothing will beat hours on the bike.
  • I lift weights and do core stability exercises 2x week. Weight training used to be an integral part when I was rowing (couple years back, before I switched to cycling.) So after a year break from the gym I am back. Overall body and core strength is beneficial and often times overlooked in a lot of sports. I will continue lifting as season starts and I will keep notes of what happens to my performance. You can read about my program and experience in my blog here.
    Core stability: http://www.thetallcyclist.com/?p=668
    Weight Lifting: http://www.thetallcyclist.com/?p=681

I have a good feeling that the program would solve any imbalances that cycling has created. As far as other sports, running is stressful to the knees no matter how you look at it. Swimming is a nice option especially if it is snowing out and I have already spent too much time on the trainer for the week.

Hope that helps!