Cold weather riding..just go and do it?

2»

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Aquaplaning can occur on a bike. Its just a matter of circumstance. How about you do some proper research and educate yourself. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=910742

I thought we were talking about bicycles so why have you linked to a discussion on aquaplaning on motorbikes? :?
    More problems but still living....
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    dodgy wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    You're welcome.

Your.

Unbelievable irony.

I really want to believe it's not a joke...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    You're welcome.

Your.

19692d1320857459-mw3-pc-release-not-sure-if-trolling-just-stupid.jpg
  • Sorry guys it was a genuine post..didnt want to start anything dodgy
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TakeTurns wrote:
    Herbsman wrote:
    You're welcome.

Your.

Look, it takes real talent to become the next Speedking but we appreciate the effort you are making :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Nono! It's not your post we are querying! More than sensible original question (really!)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    You can get a bike to aquaplane, you just need to be doing over 60 and fit wider tyres, simple really.

I won't comment on the spelling correction as I wouldn't be adding anything to it and it's as funny as it can be on it's own, ahem. You are welcome!
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    TakeTurns wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    TakeTurns wrote:
    amaferanga wrote:
    Sorry, but you're wrong.

Firstly, do you actually think it's possible to aquaplane on a bicycle? Go do some research on that and educate yourself. And has has been pointed out already, the tread on road bike tyres makes approximately zero difference to grip. All 'slick' road bike tyres can be used in the wet. Some have better grip than others, but that's got nothing to do with silly little bits of tread.

Aquaplaning can occur on a bike. Its just a matter of circumstance. How about you do some proper research and educate yourself. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=910742

I know that tread has nothing to do with the grip the tyre will provide, nobody mentioned that tread improves grip. There isn't enough contact for the same water dispersing effect to take place on a car tyre, hence why tread is useless for bike tyres.

It's about the compound. When 'slick' tyres are mentioned, like the ones OP have, the compound is not sufficient in wet weather and is best suited for dry conditions. Which is why I said to get conti4000's because they're an all season.
    Thats on a MOTORBIKE, where it is possible to generate sufficient speed to aqua plane, thus the tread to clear the water becomes a crucial factor, TOTALLY not relevant on a bicycle, in fact on a bicycle the less tread pattern the greater grip available, do to a higher cross sectional area of contact patch. Bicycle tyres have a tread pattern for cosmetic reasons only on the road, they do however have a use for off road use obviously.
    Compound will also have little effect, as is it difficlut to impossible to generate enough heat in a bicycle tyre that will require much if any chemical engineering to the compounds. Again totally different on a motorbike. Most "winter" tyres for bicycles are about offering puncture protection, as the roads get in a greater mess during the winter, also rain acts as a lubricant to flint and stone shards allowing them to puncture with greater ease

I stand corrected. I picked up elsewhere that bicyles can aquaplane, so the thought stuck with me. Appreciated that you actually explained the reasons why they can't. Unlike others who simply choose to act derogatory because it's the internet. :)
    How did you manage to read a thread on a car forum without realising it? Being called pistonheads might have been a bit of a clue :lol:
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Paul E wrote:
    funny as it can be on it's own, ahem. You are welcome!

Oh dear.
  • Paul E wrote:
    You can get a bike to aquaplane, you just need to be doing over 60 and fit wider tyres, simple really.

I won't comment on the spelling correction as I wouldn't be adding anything to it and it's as funny as it can be on it's own, ahem. You are welcome!

The apostrophe! It's its own worst enemy. And every blog's.
  • Hi and thx for that, my current tyres are 25mm so should fit.
    I am currently debating buying a chep turbo so may use the slicks on that
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    p.ilchard wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

The apostrophe! It's its own worst enemy. And every blog's.

Thanks, never knew I was blogging on here, nice sarcastic use of it yourself though, grammer nazi!!!!!!
  • I live in Hampshire, the land of flint shards and gravel. GP4000S are the only tyres for around here unless you stick to main roads all the time.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Horrid things, I'd rather be out in the cold! Didn't get on with mine at all.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I am currently debating buying a chep turbo so may use the slicks on that

better off buying a dedicated turbo tyre - a turbo will shred a standard tyre quite quickly if it overheats. You certainly don;t want to waste a new tyre by putting it on a turbo.
  • Ahh thanks for info..ill do ome moreresearch on turbos otherise ill get an exercise bike..
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Cold is ok so long as you use layers as prev posts suggest. At the moment I am using the Conti4000s tyres all year round.
    sungod wrote:
    always take care with wet ironwork, no turning/braking, also, aside from being slippy, leaves and puddles can hide potholes, debris etc. so it's best to not ride through them
    Just add to that paint on the road can be slippy too.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Hi and thx for that, my current tyres are 25mm so should fit.
    I wouldn't persevere with a turbo for more than a week. I'm really happy with my rollers, great for 40 min sessions in the evening when its too wet to ride out. Rollers keep you focused or you'll fall off.