Road Team -riders wanted

giantarmy
giantarmy Posts: 28
edited January 2013 in Amateur race
Looking at putting together a South/South East based road team for next year, bike sponsors, kit and retail back-up already in place.
looking for E12 riders willing to ride National B races with the odd Sportive to keep sponsor happy.
If interested, please PM

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Good luck with the team!
  • DavidJB wrote:
    Good luck with the team!

Thanks DJB :)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    what's in it for the riders ?
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Depends who's asking and what you've got to offer!
    If youre in it just to get what you can, then you're in the wrong sport !
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    edited October 2012
    What is the team to be called, just interested to keep an eye on how well it goes. Good luck
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    sub55 wrote:
    giantarmy wrote:
    Depends who's asking and what you've got to offer!

"got to offer!"
    absolutely nothing mate. i'm well and truly retired.
    have ridden for an invitation only racing team, was drafted in specifically to try and win the team award in the national champs. which sounds great but was much happier with my mates in the local club
    and no i'm not in the sport just for my own self gratitude. just ask any of the riders that take part in the events i promote or the committees that i sit on.
    But you got to offer the riders something to entice them onto your squad. Why should a rider advertise, promote and endorse a commercial company for no return. The worst deal i was ever offered was from a local LBS who asked me to ride for them and offered all my kit " including the bike " at cost price. Which is effectively not costing them anything. Which translates to extremely cheap advertising.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • sub55 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    giantarmy wrote:

"got to offer!"
    have ridden for an invitation only racing team, was drafted in specifically to try and win the team award in the national champs. which sounds great but was much happier with my mates in the local club
    and no i'm not in the sport just for my own self gratitude. just ask any of the riders that take part in the events i promote or the committees that i sit on.
    But you got to offer the riders something to entice them onto your squad. Why should a rider advertise, promote and endorse a commercial company for no return. The worst deal i was ever offered was from a local LBS who asked me to ride for them and offered all my kit " including the bike " at cost price. Which is effectively not costing them anything. Which translates to extremely cheap advertising.

Forgive me for thinking that you were asking first hand 'whats available'. the issue I have is that if i advertise and say that i can offer this ,that, the other, then i'm likely to get golddiggers who expect a pro deal for a chipper performance. there are quite a few 2nd cat team who get all the kit but are still struggling to get out of Cat 2- these riders are the ones i'm hoping to avoid.
    To answer your original query Sub55, the team deal is likely to include:-
    Top end bike fitted with SRAM red/force or Ulteghra/DA
    All clothing
    helmet
    shoes(depending on deal)
    energy products
    trade price on all further purchases

This sort of deal for an amateur rider racing on E12 events as well as holding part or full-time employment is not to be sniffed at, in my opinion (been sponsored at a similar rate for the last 9 seasons as an Elite roadie)
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Good luck with this, sounds great. If only an opportunity like this would come round next year.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Free bike!

I still have to pay for mine...in the wrong team :p
  • sub55 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    giantarmy wrote:

"got to offer!"

This.

I was party to such an agreement for a couple of years, where my only bonus was £120 of team kit to be chosen by myself. Basically the deal was forced to buy a bike at cost if you want a ride, license refunded once you got 100pts, race entries refunded for mentions in press or top 10 placings.

It was toss and as soon as I got injured part way through season 2, they binned me.

I know a lot of young guys get blinded by any offer, but you need to think them through!

The one from the OP looks pretty good though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I was party to such an agreement for a couple of years, where my only bonus was £120 of team kit to be chosen by myself. Basically the deal was forced to buy a bike at cost if you want a ride, license refunded once you got 100pts, race entries refunded for mentions in press or top 10 placings.

Our unsponsered club is possibly giving more than that depending on how you actually perform. Full Entry fees for National Champ Events and Premier Calendars, 1500 quid shared between all riders as a proportion of their entry fees (so 15 riders each spend 300 quid on entry fees, they'd all get back 100 quid). Kit you would have to buy although there's a crash replacement policy.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    I still have my doubts about these sorts of sponsored teams. Taking the best riders out of the club scene - I'd rather see sponsors putting their money into supporting either grassroots clubs or backing a 'proper' national level team. Still, I suppose it's better than 15 years ago where this sort of setup would be one of the biggest teams in the Premier Calendar.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Pross wrote:
    I still have my doubts about these sorts of sponsored teams. Taking the best riders out of the club scene - I'd rather see sponsors putting their money into supporting either grassroots clubs or backing a 'proper' national level team. Still, I suppose it's better than 15 years ago where this sort of setup would be one of the biggest teams in the Premier Calendar.

The club scene isn't always the best deal for the rider themselves though, it depends on your ambitions really. I joined a team to do something that wasn't even remotely possible at my club. Clubs are not the best fit for all.

The team I ride for puts a hell of alot back into the sport, in fact probably more than my previous club, and a hell of alot more than alot of clubs.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Giantarmy - good luck with the team. Do you plan on organising your own race? Or do the sponsors already organise a race?

It's not a dig along the lines of "race teams only race, don't organise or help", but I am curious.
  • hammerite wrote:
    Giantarmy - good luck with the team. Do you plan on organising your own race? Or do the sponsors already organise a race?

It's not a dig along the lines of "race teams only race, don't organise or help", but I am curious.

As far as I know, they are still promoting one road ace every season. When I last rode with them, I had to sacrifice racing for a weekend to drive the Comm 1 car, which was actually a hoot!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    excellent, good to hear.
  • Werbo
    Werbo Posts: 109
    Hi there I saw you post about the team you are setting up. I'm nowhere near ready for cat 2 racing but I'm determend to get up there soon. Is there any tips you could to help me get where I want to be? Any help would be great,
    many thanks Keith
  • Thanks Werbo.
    Advice?
    Train well this winter, don't overdo it in December. Train with a powermeter if you can afford it, work on your weaknesses, get a coach if you can afford it, plan to peak for one to two events a month and pick your races to suit your sort of ability :)
  • Still after 1-2 more riders, elite/1st cat

Pm me ASAP!
  • sub55 wrote:
    sub55 wrote:
    giantarmy wrote:

"got to offer!"

This.

It was toss and as soon as I got injured part way through season 2, they binned me.

I know a lot of young guys get blinded by any offer, but you need to think them through!

The one from the OP looks pretty good though.

It does sound good. I have been in some right shoddy teams in my time. One basically threw me off the team after accusing me of going to a race with the wrong attitude because I was vocal against my teammates who were basically riding against me. (I won the KOM and the final stage so if that is the wrong attitude I would go to every race with it). I also rode for a shop team and they gave me a bike to use and it got stolen, I told them about it at the time and raced rest of year on my own bike. Then they asked me for the bike back at end of year (they forgot it had been stolen). They then told me I had to pay for it as I hadn't had it insured. Well it was a bike given to me by a shop so I assumed they insured it, they never told me to insure it. I didn't pay for it. But I funnily enough didn't ride for them anymore either after.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Pross wrote:

+1
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Thanks for all your words of support. Team line up finalised. AW cycles do support a heap of junior riders both on the road and track, so they don't take all the talent from the region, they assist it. Here's a link to the team news :-

http://t.co/2cprUX0f
  • ah.. notice you have Martin smith in the team. That guy is an absolute animal on a bike. very strong
  • ah.. notice you have Martin smith in the team. That guy is an absolute animal on a bike. very strong

giantarmy == Martin Smith :wink:
  • ah ha!.. didn't see that :)

giantarmy == Martin Smith :wink:

Martin are you from Jersey or did you ride for VSJ at the jersey crit and road race this year? or is that a different Martin Smith?
  • Hi Ozzy, neither! There is another cyclist called Martin Smith who I think is from Leicester way and is a trackie. I don't know of anyone else who might be in the CI at all though. Tricky disco , cheers ;)
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Mart you should have got a few more oldies other than you and Trev to beat the welsh bush babes ;-)
  • Would love to be apart of that team as I love my Giant bikes, but Im only 1 year in the game. and in Ireland :P

But keep an eye to stickybottle.com and hope you guys can spot me ;)
    Giant Defy 4(Triple) 2012

Giant TCR Advanced SL 4 2013
  • Mart you should have got a few more oldies other than you and Trev to beat the welsh bush babes ;-)

Is that 'young' Davie??