Friday Thread - Celebrity Coach Crash

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
italian_job_220_1016903f.jpg

So a coach full of 'celebs' is hanging on the edge of the cliff facing certain death.

Who would you nominate to be on the coach and why?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Every single one of them who is famous 'for being famous' and otherwise untalented.

What is truly frightening is that this is the ambition for a huge percentage of our kids - to be famous. Not to be a famous for *insert achievement here* but to be famous. Makes me retch.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Could we have Piers Morgan on there, or even under the bus? His name sprang to mind for some reason. Plenty of others though obviously.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Anyone that has to go on a celebrity program to boost their "career"

Only if we can then burn the remains of the coach, then collect the ashes and then burn them again and then collect that and then shoot them off into space.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Could we have Piers Morgan on there, or even under the bus? His name sprang to mind for some reason. Plenty of others though obviously.
    Indeed.

And can I be the first to quote Stephen Fry on ISIHAC with New Definitions:

"Countryside: Killing Piers Morgan"
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Can I fill it with Kardashians please?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Paul E wrote:
    Anyone that has to go on a celebrity program to boost their "career"

Only if we can then burn the remains of the coach, then collect the ashes and then burn them again and then collect that and then shoot them off into space.

Can you give Johnny Lydon a pass? In return, I'll bundle Paul Dacre into the storage lockers.
  • msmancunia wrote:
    I stopped watching Deep Space 9 when Terry Farrel left.
  • SimonAH wrote:
    Every single one of them who is famous 'for being famous' and otherwise untalented.

What is truly frightening is that this is the ambition for a huge percentage of our kids - to be famous. Not to be a famous for *insert achievement here* but to be famous. Makes me retch.

This. It annoys me beyond measure.
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is it *really* that difficult to avoid this celebrity culture that annoys you people so much?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    notsoblue wrote:
    Is it *really* that difficult to avoid this celebrity culture that annoys you people so much?

My thoughts exactly. I've seen a couple of pictures of the Kardashians but beyond that have no idea who they are. Same with the rest of them.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    notsoblue wrote:

True. I do a pretty good job of it, but it's easy when you live on yer tod because you can be extremely selective of what you watch. I had 'the bird' over one weekend and she insisted on watching 'T4' on the Sunday morning.

It made me want to hurt people.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    BigMat wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I've seen a couple of pictures of the Kardashians but beyond that have no idea who they are. Same with the rest of them.
    I've never heard of the Kardashians and have no clue about what they might do or be. Same with Gingham (?). Who he? Heard the word; not delved into a meaning that might attach to it (him, them...).

Anyway, this bus. I'd lob Rooney in there as the public face of grasping diving over-hyped waste of space modern footballers, closely followed a token and random representative of the comments sections in all on-line newspapers who turn any remotely cycling-related news story into an anti-cycling diatribe of hatred & bile backed up with dubious facts and sliced & diced with the road tax argument. Away with ye.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    BigMat wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I just had to google Kardashians. Didn't have any idea who/what they were. Saw enough from Google to realise that not only was it a case of DFK, but DFC too.
    The joys of living with no live TV, and tailored news services...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • CiB
    Can we shove Lance in as well? Never did like him, was a relief to find out my ambivalence towards him was right.

And Milliband. No point in having a thread to flag up people who shouldn't exist without including an anonymous leader of the Labour party.
  • SimonAH
    davis wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

I just had to google Kardashians. Didn't have any idea who/what they were. Saw enough from Google to realise that not only was it a case of DFK, but DFC too.
    The joys of living with no live TV, and tailored news services...

I can (and do) avoid this stuff almost entirely - you can't help but have some awareness of who these people are (even I know that the Kardashians are some form of high mantainance female David Dickinson creatures) but what concerns me is that the sleb culture is so astonishingly prevalent these days - to the extent that the expectations and behaviours of schoolchildren are so warped by it all.

Sure - we had some of it when I was a kid (I remember going to a disco wearing an undone bow-tie ala David Bowie of 'let's dance' era) but our heroes were all pop stars and sportspeople - people who at least appeared to have talent and achievement (even if much of it was manufactured, we didn't know it).

Now it seems that you just need shiny teeth and the willingness to prostitute your soul on reality TV (even that phrase makes me itch) to become a wealthy icon?? WTF is it all about??? And our kids turn to aspire to TOWIE...

Well, mine doesn't. But that's because I'm a repressive controlling father and only let her watch How it's made and Mythbusters in between healthy bike rides and welding practice in the workshop.

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It's impossible to escape all of it, just most of it.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    I stopped watching Deep Space 9 when Terry Farrel left.

Trials and Tribble-ations. I'll say no more.

Possibly because I'm too busy drooling.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    edited October 2012
    I'm going to stir this up a bit by jointly nominating Team GB and the BBC team who covered the 'limpics.

Yeah it was fun during the summer and you did well, but you are starting to get a bit smug. The summer is over, we're over the Olympics - let's move on.

I'm pretty sure that this won't get much support so let me offer a compromise and only stick Mo bloody Farah on the coach. Yeah, great achievement but put your fecking arms down, you look like a gimp. The Mo Bot. WTF.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • SimonAH
    Oh for flying fcuks sake.

I was sipping coffee, I googled out of morbid interest, and found out why the Kardashians are worthy subjects of primetime multiple television shows.

Really? I mean really?

It was February 2007 when Kris’ second oldest, Kim — then best known as socialite Paris Hilton’s perpetual sidekick — sat her mom down for a confession: She had made a sex tape with her then-boyfriend, musician Ray J. brother of singer Brandy. The kicker? A third party had sold the tape to adult video distributor Vivid Entertainment, and it would be going on sale at the end of the month. The celebrity press soon exploded with every last graphic detail of what the tape contained.

The timing could not have been worse. Inspired by the success of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne’s family, Kris independently produced a presentation tape of a reality show following her family and had recently begun shopping it to different production companies.

“I thought, ‘Oh well, there goes the reality show,’ ” she say. But you can either be a problem maker or a problem solver. And I’m a problem solver. My job as her mom and manager is to take care of the problem — whatever it is. I had to cry and get upset in the privacy of my own room and then come out and help her, because she’s my daughter. What good is it for me to berate her?”

Claiming to have never seen the tape, Kris hired a crisis communications expert to help navigate the scandal. “I was way out of my league,” she says. “I would never think I knew enough to care for a situation like that. What’s that Kenny Rogers line? ‘You got to know when to hold ’em and know when to fold ’em.’ All I knew was that I had to make some lemonade out of these lemons fast. Real fast.”

The fact that Vivid had to pay Kim a figure that’s been reported at $5 million is almost beside the point. The sex tape — one of Vivid’s best-selling DVDs in 10 years — put the Kardashians on the map.

“My job was trying to take my kids’ 15 minutes and turn it into 30,” Kris recalls. Shortly afterward, her entire family would have to get comfortable in front of the camera.

• It seems a lot of people have got famous after doing a sex tape. Have to see if Mrs. H. is up for it.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Alan Titchmarsh would get my vote.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • It seems a lot of people have got famous after doing a sex tape. Have to see if Mrs. H. is up for it.

She normally is. Hahahahahahahahaha. (Did someone beat me to it?)
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    John Humphries and James Naughtie: today programme presenters. Yes I know they perhaps don't strictly count as celebrities....but they do need to learn that

a) spending a whole interview trying to trip people (even politicians) into saying something that they clearly don't mean makes it very difficult to work out exactly what they do mean.

b) wilfull ignorance of science is not cool, in fact it's a huge problem when it comes to extracting the truth out of people who work in high-tech industries and who are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
  • rhext wrote:
    John Humphries and James Naughtie: today programme presenters. Yes I know they perhaps don't strictly count as celebrities....but they do need to learn that

a) spending a whole interview trying to trip people (even politicians) into saying something that they clearly don't mean makes it very difficult to work out exactly what they do mean.

b) wilfull ignorance of science is not cool, in fact it's a huge problem when it comes to extracting the truth out of people who work in high-tech industries and who are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
    +1
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    It's such a contrast when Evan Davis does it. He still gets the answers he's after, but does it without interrupting, unlike John Humphries.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CiB
    msmancunia wrote:
    It's such a contrast when Evan Davis does it. He still gets the answers he's after, but does it without interrupting, unlike John Humphries.
    Yeah but yeah but when he interviewed Milliband the other week he was all over him like a cheap suit laughing & playing along with him. Bring back Robin Day.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I nominate Jonathan Ross... He's always annoyed me...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • CiB
    David Walliams. Not sure why. Just because.

Posh Spice.

Stan from On The Buses; good guy but it's what he would've wanted and provides a neat symmetry.

David Bond, BBC Sports Editor and uniquely unqualified for the role.

The Breakfast DJ on Haaarrrrt IFFF IMMMM who shouts like we're deaf. You had your chance; bye.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Many good ones have already been mentioned. Piers Morgan being first is no surprise.
    Alan Carr, Graham Norton, Chris Evans would all get my vote. Most breakast DJs come to that, it may be that I'm more intolerant first thing, why are they all so irritating?
    So many more.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Don't forget all of pi55 Morgan's blood relatives, just to be sure.
    Vanessa Felch, that sanctimonious cow Janice Lee grace from Steve Wright show, oh and Steve Wright and his other hop-a-long. But not the old woman even if she does have a bus pass, she's ok. Besides it would be a waste of a seat at her age....

George Galloway? I could go on but it seems like it is standing room only.