Just been diagnosed with a hernia

turbo1191
turbo1191 Posts: 501
Just been to docs and been diagnosed with a Inguinal hernia.Strange thing is i never felt it at the weekend whilst out on the bike. I have purchased a hernia support to see if this aleviates the pain any.. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are about cycling whilst having a hernia. :(

Comments

• hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    I cycled with a hernia for ages. In typical bloke fashion I assumed it was some new muscle I'd developed through cycling.

They're easy to fix. The important thing is to make sure you do everything in your power to get it repaired using keyhole surgery. I was lucky. My PCT had the foresight to farm their hernia ops out to the local private hospital, so I was able to avoid being sliced open. the surgeon was so conscientious he even reinforced the other side as a preventative measure

I was back on a bike in a week.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    As above, I've had two hernia's and one repaired through keyhole (great and quick recovery) and one via open surgery (slow and painful recovery) so go with the former!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    It really isn't too big a deal... but you do have to be aware of potential ruptures. Sounds worse than it actually is as they are rare, but what it means is that you can't just ignore it as you really do not want a rupture!

Recovery was reasonably quick, although I didn't have keyhole for various (complication) reasons.

In terms of cycling with it, what you'll find is that certain activities will put a strain on it (you'll actually feel it bulge) and other very similar activities don't.
    In terms of how quick you recover... it was about two weeks off for me... with another two weeks building back up slowly. It can be pretty painful after the op, and the doctor was very right in stating that you'll know when you can can start exercising again, as the pain makes sure you can't overdo it.
    Simon