Edge 500 H/R for turbo trainer

BeaconJon
BeaconJon Posts: 294
Is it possible to set up workouts on my Garmin Edge 500 utilising the heart rate monitor as that will give me a more meaningful idea of performance rather than the speed/cadance sensor whilst on my turbo?

Cheers, Jon

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Is it possible to set up workouts on my Garmin Edge 500 utilising the heart rate monitor

Yes
  • BeaconJon
    Ah that's good. Is it done in the Garmin Connect software?
  • danowat
    You can create them on the Edge 500 itself, or via the training centre software, or connect.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    There is a training stationary function on the device itself. You can also alternate the screen so you only have your heartrate and heartrate zones on the screen. I don't have my 500 in front of me otherwise I'd give you a path way.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Where is the stationary trainer function on the 500 device?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • danowat
    okgo wrote:
    Where is the stationary trainer function on the 500 device?

Turning GPS off is said function..........
  • BeaconJon
    Appreciate the info folks. Has anyone got the outlines to workouts they do spanning 30 and 60 minute sessions?
  • Macdory
    Macdory Posts: 113
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Appreciate the info folks. Has anyone got the outlines to workouts they do spanning 30 and 60 minute sessions?

I had a couple, but deleted them all once I started with Sufferfest videos ... try one (far less of a bore than running the turbo against a number)
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    BeaconJon wrote:
    Have a look at The Bikeforums Workout Recipe Book and http://www.turbotraining.co.uk/ for some ideas. Helps if you know your heart rate or power zones and have a cadence sensor.

I tend to make up the workouts on Garmin Connect and transfer them to the device although I have also used the device directly.

Here are a few of mine, based on my own HR and power zones. I'm using virtual power which is based on speed from my Tacx Satori measured at resistance level 5. My zones are shown below

zoneo.png

From what I have been reading, 2 x 20 at "tempo" is a killer workout for the winter months. It's not so hard so you can do it day in day out without overtiring yourself, but it works near the sweet spot and improves your FTP.

tempo2x20.png

This is the same "tempo" workout this time done using Virtual Power (speed). If you have a power meter then you can use actual power values.

vp2x20.png

This one is based on the Tabata protocol. Basically it is full blast in the "on" part so the speed targets don't matter. This is gut wrenching stuff.

tabata.png

Here's a variation of Russian Steps based on cadence

russiansteps.png

Two variations of the ZeCanon workout from Bike Forums:

zecanon.png

zecanonvp.png

Here's 2 FTP test workouts, one for T5 + T20 and one for T8 + T8. Your FTP can be estimated from 95% of T20 and 90% of T8 using average speed as a measurement of power (virtual power). Requires knowledge of your turbo's power "curve". Better still use a power meter!

t5t20.png

t8t8.png

One last one from the Bikeforums workout recipe book

hrvo2max.png