Change Powerhub from Shimano to Campy

ziglar
ziglar Posts: 112
Just bought a powertap from ebay which came with a shimano freehub.

I have campy stuff on my cervelo and had hoped that it was just a simple matter of removing the old hub and putting on my campy freehub but it seems I need to move some washers around and maybe redish my wheel (whatever that means).

Do I need to buy a special freehub or is it a just a normal campy freehub I put on the powertap hub?
How do I tell which model of powertap hub I have - the LYC has 2.4 written on it and the hub is silver with just the words cycleops and powertap written on it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    edited October 2012
    I'd assumed it was simply a case of swapping your freehub for one of these?

Example shown is for 12mm version. LYC showing 2.4 just means it's the wireless version. There are both 12mm and 15mm axle versions of the PowerTap hub.
  • ziglar
    that might be what I end up buying but I don't understand the difference between that and a bog standard campy freehub which I already own?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Is the one you already own for a powertap, or another hub?
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    exactly which PT hub do you have and from which year?

the newer ones have a 15mm axle and the freehub literally just pulls off - all you need is to have a 2nd Campag freehub body and you can slot it on. I have the same issue and do it all the time between bikes. Mine is a 2011 PT Pro+.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • ziglar
    I have no idea which PT hub other than the ebay ad said Pro 2.4 wired and the LYC has 2.4 printed on it and is firmware version 4.06. I don't know the year.

The existing shimano hub on it doesn't slide off - I have to undo some threaded nuts to get it off. How do I determine if it is 12mm or 15mm axle. When I slide off the shimano freehub it looks like a 9mm axle!!!

The campy hub I own is just a standard campy hub _ I actually didn't realise that I needed a PT specific campy hub; now that it seems that I do I will buy one.

How do I tell if I need a coded or un-coded HR monitor?

Thanks for the help so far.
  • ziglar
    it looks like I also need to buy a download cradle since that wasn't in the ebay listing. Just as well it only cost me £200 coz I hadn't factored in £40 cradle, £40 campy freehub, £40 HR monitor (although I do have 4 of them in the house somewhere!! - could I use one of them?).
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    yours is the old style 12mm as the 15mm pull-off axle is only a recent thing.

I think you'll need one of these

http://www.cyclepowermeters.com/powerta ... -589-p.asp
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    i'll sell you a usb download cradle for £20 + P&P if you want - i use a garmin but bought a LYC to check calibration that came with a usb download cradle that i dont need
  • ziglar
    Would you settle for £23 incl p&p as I have no idea what the p&p would be?
  • ziglar
    apologies: need to withdraw my offer to buy the cradle - sorry
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    ziglar wrote:

I use one of those on my powertap and they work ok but are v. heavy. I'd go with the campag freehub and proper campag cassette tbh.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • ziglar
    just ordered the campag hub from winstanley bikes £32 so not as bad as I thought