Training wheels

Cookie91
Cookie91 Posts: 97
Good evening ladies and gentleman!

Just a little query, i was currently involved in a road accident involving a taxi . Never mind, anywho i have had the bike checked over and all is gravy apart from a cracked headset and a bent front wheel. I was also told the back hub is dead too.
Now i have decided it is time for a new set of wheels, i am after something sturdy and reliable, their main use is going to be training throughout the winter before next season (i will probably race on them too). Now i am just wondering how much should i probably spend on a set and how long wheels usually last (my last set have only lasted me since march)
I am currently looking at a set of Hope Hoops built onto a mavic open pro rims from my local bike shop, i love the sound and they look great and from what i gather they are easily serviceable almost completely replaceable and a good work horse. Just the £300 price tag is slightly off putting if i will get through another set of wheels in another 7-8 months time

Any other wheel set suggestions that i should look at?

(was posted in the buying section, however slight lack of replies)

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Lightweight Ventoux, Mavic SLR's
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    The lack of replies might be down to the fact this type of question comes up a few times a day on the Buying Advice forum (not so much in 'Training' though :roll: ) Use the search function.
  • I was expecting a reply like this. Unfortunately the search function doesnt really turn up much on the hope hoops, and the ones it turns up are from 2-3 years ago. If i replied to them i would then have a rant on how i am digging up old threads. :roll:

I would just like an up to date response, should i consider a wheel builder? a big factory wheel or something obvious i have missed?
  • Similar position to yourself Cookie (apart from the accident). The off the shelf bike I bought doesn't have great wheels on them and I have had to get the spokes 'trued' twice in the last 300 miles, so decided on getting a nice sturdy build for the winter and next season.

LBS recommended Mavic Open Pro's with 36 spokes F&R on Shimano 105 hubs. Can't recall if it is Sapim Race spokes in black or the D-Light. The chap in the shop commutes on his bike daily (all weathers) 35 miles and has had a set on his machine for over 2 years.

No experience of the Hope Hoops, but the general consensus is that spending £200-£300 on a hand built set will be a worthwhile investment.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    daverollo wrote:
    LBS recommended Mavic Open Pro's with 36 spokes F&R on Shimano 105 hubs.

I would recommend this, either 32 or 36 spokes depending on your weight / component availability. I have 32's but there's no problem having an extra 8 spokes in your wheels and the benefit of the extra strength hugely outweighs any 'drawback' of the extra weight.

I built a pair myself, at a cost of about £160 + the hours taken to build and true. Hubs were about £55 from Chain Reaction, Rims about £60 the pair from Evans (special offer), DT Swiss double butted spokes, brass nipples and Schwalbe rim tape from Rose Bikes, approx £45 including postage. Not sure how much a professional builder would charge but I can't imagine it being more than £200.

They will certainly last longer than 7-8 months - try 2-3 years, possibly longer, depending on how much braking you do and what your annual mileage is.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Tom Dean
    Sorry, I should have said UTSF and give it more than AN HOUR before cluttering up other forums reposting your question.
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    Sorry, I should have said UTSF and give it more than AN HOUR before cluttering up other forums reposting your question.

Apologies for wishing to make my decision by today because i wish to pick up my bike today from the shop.

I forget that tidy forums are a necessity. :roll:
  • Tom Dean
    Mods, can the rules be amended to allow any users in a wheel buying EMERGENCY to spam the forums with multiple identical threads. Thanks.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Herbsman wrote:
    daverollo wrote:
    LBS recommended Mavic Open Pro's with 36 spokes F&R on Shimano 105 hubs.

I built a pair myself, at a cost of about £160 + the hours taken to build and true.

Or 149 euros from Andorra

http://www.bikeos.fr/index.php/jeu-de-r ... n-pro.html

with Ultegra hubs rather than 105s.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Herbsman
    Blimey, that's cheap.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Herbsman wrote:
    Blimey, that's cheap.

Just what i thought. By the way herbsman i love your posts you seem to generate from your wild mind and blog. Thought it would be nice to say! :)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Herbsman wrote:
    Blimey, that's cheap.

It is, I got some WH-6700s in the end but I spoke to bikeos on the phone and it all seemed legit. They maybe are not the lightest build ever but would make good trainers. I have a pair of 15 year old Open pros and they are a bomber rim although seemed to suffer some build problems more recently.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Get some ambrosio excellence on ambrosio hubs from the wheelsmith.£300. Much less than that and you can't expect a reliable wheel that will do all you want. I have ambrosio evolutions on ambrosio hubs and they lasted a good 2yrs before a spoke and rear hub bearing went, and that was with a couple of races on them as well as training and commuting. wheels should last longer than 7months if they are half decent.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Having recently got Ambrosio Excellight rims on Ambrosio (Novatech) hubs with DT Competition spokes (32 front and rear) I can say that they are a lovely ride. Certainly much 'plusher' feeling than the summer wheels I have been using.

Lighter than I was expcting too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Herbsman
    smidsy wrote:
    Having recently got Ambrosio Excellight rims on Ambrosio (Novatech) hubs with DT Competition spokes (32 front and rear) I can say that they are a lovely ride. Certainly much 'plusher' feeling than the summer wheels I have been using.

Lighter than I was expcting too.
    I have a pair of these, and was surprised when not just one but TWO non drive side spokes snapped a few months after I started using them.

Maybe I'm just unlucky, but these were built by a reputable builder. I've never had a spoke snap in any wheel I've built myself!