What did I do wrong?

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited October 2012 in Road beginners
I've been off the bike for a few days, but since today was the start of a holiday and the weather was absolutely glorious, I went for a repeat of my last 20 mile ride.

It has a good bit of climbing and has a cat 4 climb on it which killed me last time round, after that it's flatter and then downhill to the end. I made it round quicker than before, so what's the problem?

Last time I had hardly eaten anything before setting off, this time I had some breakfast. A couple of slices of toast and a bacon buttie. I left an hour and a half later. Started OK, felt quite good, but after 5 miles when the climbing really started, I was feeling very uncomfortable in the stomach and it seemed like I was getting a stitch almost every time the road went up. I made it the first 10 miles non stop, which was the first time I've done that, and then took a breather and had some extra drink.

The second half did not go so well. To get to the cat 4 climb, the road is very undulating and I had to stop with stomach pain/stitch once, then again just after the climb started. 2 more stops on the hill (it's only 1 mile, but 10%) as it was killing me again, then started getting cramp in my calves :x

At least I was now at the flatter bit and I didn't have any issues from there on, but I did not feel good out there. I suspect it was related to what I ate, or not leaving enough time before riding? Too much bread (4 slices)? Any suggestions for a quicker to digest breakfast?

Here's the ride
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• greentea
    greentea Posts: 180
    Thats not good getting so many stitches on one ride and you werent even pushing it. I know a few people who had those symptoms and ended up on an ECG at the hospital. I would get your heart checked out asap, could be early warning signs of a mild heart attack. I would be ver, very worried.

:(:(
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    blimey that sounds a bit sensationalist and alarmist!
    Some days you just have less energy, its related to so many things; mental, diet, sleep, physical, fatigue - I'd not rush off the get a heart exam, I'd rest a day and try it again, see how you get on.
    I mean, honestly, are you set to check into hospital for an ECG and tell them you were worried you didn't manage to cycle last week's route so quick?
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    greentea wrote:
    Thats not good getting so many stitches on one ride and you werent even pushing it. I know a few people who had those symptoms and ended up on an ECG at the hospital. I would get your heart checked out asap, could be early warning signs of a mild heart attack. I would be ver, very worried.

You're definitely a glass half empty person aren't you?
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    Sounds to me like you pushed a bit harder thats all.
    Just make sure you are drinking,sipping on the way round.
    Porridge=food of champions.
    Although recently ive enjoyed a small omlette with some left over pastsa cut up in it,before the longer
    rides.
    Dont think you need A+E yet.like sprool said.
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Could be a one off, but next time a high protein breakfast not a high fat one,

As above some porridge with honey about 1.5 hours before then a slice of toast no butter and some jam about 15mins before you go, but drink plenty of water with both to aid digestion.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Slow release carbs are the ideal pre-ride meal, porridge is perfect. I found on the one occasion I succumbed pre-ride to the bacon sarnie my wife offered me I suffered from indigestion all the way around a 40 mile ride; not made that mistake again! Know I always have a bowl of porridge with a handful of sultanas, 2 pieces of wholemeal toast with honey and a double expresso. Normally wait about 40 minutes before a short 3 mile easy spin to where I meet the rest of that mornings riders.
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    cramp is caused by the muscles in your diaphragm getting tight, to get rid of it, pull in your stomach when breathing in.
  • Mikey41
    Thanks everyone. I'll try a different breakfast next time and leave out the bacon sarnie, sounds like I was suffering indigestion, not fun. I'm determined to get round and up that cat 4 in one go. I'll do it one of these days :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    The breakfast and the timing seem ok but I'm not sure about the bacon and how well that digests. It sounds like you are relatively new to cycling so keep trying different things till you find what works. If it does reoccur then a check might be in order just in case
  • greentea wrote:
    Actually i was ripping the pjss out of the OP, its a f* cking stupid post. He basically answers his own question.."what have i done wrong?.i mean i only ate half a pig...half a loaf of bread and a bucket load of tea..why am i getting these stomach pains when cycling ten minutes later?"

Some people just f* ck me off with their stupidity, this is nothing more than attention seeking. Its pretty bleedin obvious what the stomach pains are isnt it?

Its like me saying "oh my....whats wrong...i went out for a ride and my heart was thumping, really hurting and beating faster than its ever done, i dont understand it...i only had a triple-heart bypass last night, do you think it could be that?"

I mean, FFS!!!! COME ON!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
    A bit harsh, I think.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • jay197
    jay197 Posts: 196
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1qjIlyyIdQlwnEdSDNyTfWUz14UPMi1PCo4V698V2ODwlFHb0tQ

calm down....calm down.......
  • greentea wrote:

what a cock, dont even bother posting again.
    MADONE 5.2
  • greentea
    Captainlip wrote:
    greentea wrote:

what a fool, dont even bother posting again.

Or you'll what? report me to the 'internet police' then go home and watch Jeremy Kyle in your council house?

Did i say i can't stand fools, both people like the OP and tw@ts like you who stick up for them. So please, get back on your Rayleigh Chopper and leave proper cycling to the big boys. :roll:
  • greentea
    greentea wrote:
    Actually i was ripping the pjss out of the OP, its a f* cking stupid post. He basically answers his own question.."what have i done wrong?.i mean i only ate half a pig...half a loaf of bread and a bucket load of tea..why am i getting these stomach pains when cycling ten minutes later?"

Some people just f* ck me off with their stupidity, this is nothing more than attention seeking. Its pretty bleedin obvious what the stomach pains are isnt it?

Its like me saying "oh my....whats wrong...i went out for a ride and my heart was thumping, really hurting and beating faster than its ever done, i dont understand it...i only had a triple-heart bypass last night, do you think it could be that?"

I mean, FFS!!!! COME ON!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
    A bit harsh, I think.

Maybe but if he had come on here and said 'sorry guys just a quick one, went for a ride was fine, went for a ride the following week and felt really bad, the first ride i hadnt eaten anything, then second ride i'd had a full english and was feeling a bit bloated, do you think it was that? i reckon it probably was?"...then my reaction would have been 'yes mate, dont eat too much before your next ride and good luck'.

But the OP knew that before he posted, so why post???? it's not rocket science. :evil:
  • Mikey41
    greentea: It was a sincere question about what I had eaten that was wrong. Background is important, which is why I went into detail. I figured that asking people with, say, 22 years of cycling experience would have an idea which part of my breakfast was a bad idea. When I rode with no breakfast, I was OK, but felt I lacked energy, so this time I ate something.... and felt worse. It had to be something I ate, but what?

At least two people, one of whom experienced identical symptoms, have said that the bacon was the mistake. Others have given me very helpful suggestions for other foods to try. You just took the piss.

To you, with 22 years of experience, it's a stupid question. To me, with 2 months experience it isn't. This is the Beginners section, this is the kind of thing people ask in here and it's the place where they expect useful answers. If I'd posted this in the Race forums they'd have ripped me a new orifice, and with good reason.

Welcome to my ignore list. :)

Everyone else: Many thanks for being so helpful, I have a few things to try and I will give the bacon a miss next time. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Mikey41 wrote:
    At least two people, one of whom experienced identical symptoms, have said that the bacon was the mistake. Others have given me very helpful suggestions for other foods to try. You just took the wee-wee.
    Must admit, as a beginner myself, I'm surprised that a bit of bacon had such an effect, if you really didn't go out till an hour and a half after you ate.

And I hate porridge (and mornings in general in fact), so I also have a vested interest in finding a breakfast that digests quickly . I don't fancy getting up at 6 or earlier for a 7.30 ride, just for the sake of letting brekkie go down.
  • greentea wrote:
    greentea wrote:
    .... rant...
    A bit harsh, I think.

Maybe but if he had come on here and said 'sorry guys just a quick one, went for a ride was fine, went for a ride the following week and felt really bad, the first ride i hadnt eaten anything, then second ride i'd had a full english and was feeling a bit bloated, do you think it was that? i reckon it probably was?"...then my reaction would have been 'yes mate, dont eat too much before your next ride and good luck'.

But the OP knew that before he posted, so why post???? it's not rocket science. :evil:
    Actually he said:
    Mikey41 wrote:
    I suspect it was related to what I ate, or not leaving enough time before riding? Too much bread (4 slices)? Any suggestions for a quicker to digest breakfast?

Which seems pretty reasonable as a question to me. I was surprised that bacon would have such an effect so long after eating - but I'm sure I'm a fool too, so feel free to have a go at me :)
  • Mikey41
    Must admit, as a beginner myself, I'm surprised that a bit of bacon had such an effect, if you really didn't go out till an hour and a half after you ate.

And I hate porridge (and mornings in general in fact), so I also have a vested interest in finding a breakfast that digests quickly . I don't fancy getting up at 6 or earlier for a 7.30 ride, just for the sake of letting brekkie go down.
    Yep, I thought 1.5 hours would be more than enough, it usually is for me before swimming for example, so I didn't expect what happened. I've never tried porridge, but I'll have a go. I'll also try cereals more and see how that works.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • BobScarle
    BobScarle Posts: 282
    I think that it is quite reasonable to ask such a question in the Beginners section. However, it's always a problem when it comes to food and drink, what suits one person is disaster for another. It is usually just a process of trial and error (and hope the error is not too big). I would have thought that an hour and a half would have been plenty, but maybe not.

One breakfast that I have found suits me is Morrison's Cheese and Onion Muffins, toasted with spread. Fill me up and keep me going and no unpleasant side effects.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    As a quick aside, I've been told that water with food does not aid digestion, it just helps the bolus get to the gut. Water will dilute stomach acid and actually slow digestion in the stomach down.

I'm no expert by any means and YMMV, but I find the right food (bread prob not ideal :) ) an hour before a ride and sips of fluid during (a mouthful max at once) does the job.

As for your question, this is a beginners sections, so......
  • greentea
    Mikey41 wrote:
    greentea: It was a sincere question about what I had eaten that was wrong. Background is important, which is why I went into detail. I figured that asking people with, say, 22 years of cycling experience would have an idea which part of my breakfast was a bad idea. When I rode with no breakfast, I was OK, but felt I lacked energy, so this time I ate something.... and felt worse. It had to be something I ate, but what?

At least two people, one of whom experienced identical symptoms, have said that the bacon was the mistake. Others have given me very helpful suggestions for other foods to try. You just took the wee-wee.

To you, with 22 years of experience, it's a stupid question. To me, with 2 months experience it isn't. This is the Beginners section, this is the kind of thing people ask in here and it's the place where they expect useful answers. If I'd posted this in the Race forums they'd have ripped me a new orifice, and with good reason.

Everyone else: Many thanks for being so helpful, I have a few things to try and I will give the bacon a miss next time. :)

I'm on your ignore list..feck me, my life's just ended.

Not
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Porridge or Dorset muesli.

Both set you up for a good start to any ride. I normally eat my porridge and am on the bike within 20 minutes.

I wouldn't eat bacon before a ride although I have stopped and had a bacon roll and coffee at about 40 miles into a 50 mile route. By that time I am hungry enough that my body soaks up the calories before indigestion can start.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    greentea wrote:
    Mikey41 wrote:

I'm on your ignore list..feck me, my life's just ended.

Not

Dude seriously enough with these comments. Your killing me! :lol:
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • Finlaz22
    Finlaz22 Posts: 169
    I'm no cycling expert but I'm pretty sure having jam on anything is a no no before riding. Jam contains simple sugars which will cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Basically you'll feel good and full of energy then the insulin will kick in and bring it right down in minutes and you'll have a low - lower than before. Pasta is faultless before riding. Just my opinion
  • Finlaz22 wrote:
    I'm no cycling expert but I'm pretty sure having jam on anything is a no no before riding. Jam contains simple sugars which will cause a spike in blood sugar levels. Basically you'll feel good and full of energy then the insulin will kick in and bring it right down in minutes and you'll have a low - lower than before. Pasta is faultless before riding. Just my opinion

You're right about the insulin. For optimal energy it is best to keep your blood sugar level high, otherwise this will happen. This is part of the reason why I like to have my sugars dissolved in my water.

But it really depends on how hard you're working. If you're going at a steady pace - even if it is for 100 miles - nibbling flapjack as many do will be enough. If on the other hand you do 30 miles at 'full gas', it probably won't be. I've tried and all that happens is that I hit the wall.

And it merits being mentioned that anything you eat for breakfast will not be useful to you unless you have it at least an hour beforehand!
  • Some people just enjoy being vitriolic for the sake of it, it makes them feel important, it satisfies a gap in their sad lives, it's the internet forum equivalent of enjoying the sound of their own voice. People with very small penises try to make up for it in other ways.

As for the OP's original question, which seems quite reasonable on a beginners forum, with one notable exception you've been given good advice. I tend to go for a cereal breakfast personally, it works for me. You don't actually need to store much at all for a twenty miler, just a small bowl of cereal and perhaps a banana. Porridge or Ready Brek on a colder day is good too.
    Ridley Orion
  • Mikey41
    Thanks again, I should be better prepared next time and I hope to repeat the route this week at least once and then start working to extend my distances. :)
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • dont make the mstake i did of doing a 50 miler on nothing having eaten very little the day before when i first started in the summer, bonked and wobbled home in a state of dizziness somehow after 45m then lied down for 2 hours not knowing what was wrong. same thing happened after i had been on the piss the night before and had nothing in the morning b4 going riding...had to call out me old man with his pick up truck to pick me up afer 30m and the fact i couldnt peddle on the road safely, stopped at a shop on the way hoe got a lucozdae downed it and came back to normal within minutes.

lack of energy/fuel is much worse imo.

now i have a small bowl of porridge with a small amount muscovado sugar stirred in before heating, and it does me fine if i am doing more than 50m i make sure to take a few slices of sorreen tucked wrapped in foil in my jersey pockets (even though i dont like it) and nibble it every so often to avoid running low.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Over years of road running I worked out that best for me was cup of tea, banana, weetabix no less than three hours before. Still working out best eating routine for cycling but I would go for about 90 minutes. The question is quite legit IMO and not sure why the hostility
  • Mikey41
    Bowl of cereal worked a treat! Didn't have time to do the 20 miles, so I went for a fast 8 miles instead. Felt good, managed a PB on one Strava segment, and was on course for the same on a second one but really ran out of steam at the top of a rise.. doh!

Same tommorrow and I'll get out for 20-25 miles at a rather more relaxed pace :)

Thanks everyone!
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava