Dreadfull Aftersales from evans

scarabdh13
scarabdh13 Posts: 4
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Hi there, just wanted to know if anyone had the same experience than me regardn*ing evans cycles aftersales technique....
Here is what happenned to me - Bought a Rocky Mountain Element 50 MSL a couple of weeks ago from EVans cycles in Edinburgh, but leaving in Aberdeen, I had top deal with their online after sales - AND was sorely dispappointed....
Let's make this clear : the bike is great : light responsive, well suspended and on the sale price, relatively good value for money.
The pre-sale service was also very good : got to pre-order the bike, tried it in the shop (trip down to Edinburgh), the size was not good, no worries, order the good one and get delivered for free at home in good timing.
BUT - and this is a big BUT, once you have paid the bike, you're on your own.... First ride with the bike, gentle ride to get the setup right, try out a few suspension settings - not the full-on sunday morning blast, far from it. Five miles in, in the middle of the trail, the chain snapped. Ok it can happen. Took a few pics with the phone, repair, and move on. Sent an email to evans customer services. Basically they told me that my pics were not good enough quality and that they were not a proof. It's a brand new two and a half grand bike .... The least you would expect was at least apologies and a new chain sent by post for free. I am still waiting for both.....
So go on, get the bike from Evans - but don't expect more......
Fred

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You joined a forum to complain about a snapped chain?
    Some sympathy but sending pics of broken stuff to a shop and expecting free stuff would be open to serious abuse.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • so you find normal a chain snaps on a Bike that new....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's not the end of the world, and its one of those things with mail order. If you'd walked into your local shop it would have made it far easier than faffing with blurry phone photos.

Have you sent them the broken chain?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Never bought a new bike but I definitely wouldn't lose sleep over a snapped chain. Just take it in and tell them what happened. Not sure if apologies are in order. What did they do wrong?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    scarabdh13 wrote:
    so you find normal a chain snaps on a Bike that new....

Sometimes, just sometimes the joining pin on a chain can be badly joined. This isn't usually apparent when you set the bike and only becomes noticeable when you ride the bike.

As Cooldad says, sending grainy low quality camera phone photos leaves it open to abuse. Take 5 minutes to get some better photos, make sure there is good light and it's in focus so Evans can at least see the problem and maybe you'll get a better response.

Of course, I blame Wiggle
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    scarabdh13 wrote:
    so you find normal a chain snaps on a Bike that new....

had them span on test rides right out of the box.

shit happens.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    It's people like you that makes me hate working in a bike shop. Just pop into the store, be friendly and you'll be sorted. Why the need to get in touch with customer services with a photo, it's pathetic
  • It just goes to show the laziness of people these days. Some people would rather bother sitting around getting pissed off about the chain, send emails off, and if they don't respond within the time they want it is straight to a forum to say the company is dreadful. TBF, these people deserve to get treated like this if they can't even bother to make the call back to the place they bought it from, just sad.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Pnev wrote:
    It's people like you that makes me hate working in a bike shop. Just pop into the store, be friendly and you'll be sorted. Why the need to get in touch with customer services with a photo, it's pathetic

Excellent point, after all it's only about a 100 mile drive, each way.

In my experience almost all these problems would be sorted a lot easier if people could remember how to use a phone, a five minutes phone conversation takes about a week by email.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    This. Just phone them up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ranty post is ranty.

@ OP, you said Evans came back and "Basically they told me that my pics were not good enough quality and that they were not a proof."

What exactly did they say? Full emails please. Also, lets see the pics you took. I suspect we're being fed a less than complete story here.

Finally, a chain snapped, big deal, you had to use a £1 link to repair it. As pointed out above, chains can go pop at any time, it's not something Evans, or any other bike shop would have had any control over. There is nothing for them to apologize for. As for replacing the chain. Again, don't really see why they should. It's still a new chain, so 1 pin was faulty, or hadn't been pressed properly. Hardly the drama you're turning it into.

Just MTFU and ride.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Certainly why should they send you a second chain without you sending them the original back?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Surely this thread could have been completely avoided if you carried quick links?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Don't be silly. It'd've been their fault that it broke in a place where you need a tool to fit the link, and they didn't supply one of them. :roll:
  • Maybe Evans should open up an after sales chain repair mobile van for these hard pressed times when your chain snaps and you won't accept anything other than a replacement chain free of charge delivered by hand by competent mechanics.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On the one hand, it'll cost you £3 or thereabouts to fix with a quicklink. On the other... Why would they prevaricate over £3?

At the end of the day Evans are Tesco for bikes so I wouldn't expect the best but they could have done better here.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    On the one hand, it'll cost you £3 or thereabouts to fix with a quicklink. On the other... Why would they prevaricate over £3?

At the end of the day Evans are Tesco for bikes so I wouldn't expect the best but they could have done better here.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion tbh.

OP has not told us what Evans said, only his interpretation of what they said. He's also not provided the initial email he sent to them, nor the pics.

For all we know, it went like this:
    he's sent them a grainy, low res pic, of what could either be a drivetrain, or possibly a snake eating a badger, or some twigs, and said "omfg u guyz suk innit, I iz wanting new bike coz dis wun iz crap innit!"
    They've come back and said, please send us the chain, or pop it into your local branch and we'll look into it for you.

OR

He's sent them a very clear, 10mp picture that clearly shows a broken pin, and asked very politely if they would see their way to maybe sending him a split link and they've responded with "LOL, NOOBZ!!!111one"

I'm no fan of Evans, I think their prices are meh at best, and the fact they want a fiver to deliver to the IOM when it's just sent regular Royal Mail is poor. But I somehow suspect the reality in this case is somewhat closer to scenario A.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pic is a nonissue tbh, £3 (RRP) to keep a customer who's bought a brand new bike onside is a trivial investment whether there was a good photo, bad photo or no photo.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Pics or stfu
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • But north wind, he could just be telling us his side of the story, leaving out key bits such as how he dealt with them. Never just hear one side of the story, as it is just one side. I could say for a fact if I got an email with crappy pictures saying "gimme dis ennit" without even really providing proof there is a problem, I wouldn't sort anything for free either.
  • Northwind is actually got the right idea. For virtually no money Evans could have easily kept a customer (even a demanding one) happy. It's good for business and easy.

Those who say return to shop have no idea of the geography.

Really a 2.5 grand bike is not an insignificant purchase. If you bought a new car and the fan belt went, then you'd take it back to get a new one if it happened just after bought. If I bought a 5 quid t-shirt from Asda and it bust open at the stitching, yeah I could sew it up but just bought? I'd take it back. Yes Evans can't help problems like this, but that's their problem. If we weren't so accepting then maybe thing may get better. Funny how in the US this would be a non question. They know service.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They have to draw a line though. They have every right to be able to examine a defective product, and if the pictures are not good enough then they cannot do that. If every purchase was subject to the retailer giving away stuff unquestioned then prices throughout would be higher.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And I'd expect that if he went in they'd sort it there and then. Like I said, it's a problem of mail ordering. Suck it up.
  • Northwind is actually got the right idea. For virtually no money Evans could have easily kept a customer (even a demanding one) happy. It's good for business and easy.

Those who say return to shop have no idea of the geography.

Really a 2.5 grand bike is not an insignificant purchase. If you bought a new car and the fan belt went, then you'd take it back to get a new one if it happened just after bought. If I bought a 5 quid t-shirt from Asda and it bust open at the stitching, yeah I could sew it up but just bought? I'd take it back. Yes Evans can't help problems like this, but that's their problem. If we weren't so accepting then maybe thing may get better. Funny how in the US this would be a non question. They know service.

You say those of us who say return it have no ideas of the geography, then say you would take it back straight back.he hasn't done those, he has done the least amount of effort, and expected the best outcome. You have contradicted yourself.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I cant comment on the OP but my experience with evans has been positive. I brought my remedy from them and a few weeks later after much fettling to get the gears to work properly i returned it to them, the rear mech was faulty and was replaced with no questions other than 'would i mind a medium cage because they were out of the long cage'.

Ive been more than happy with the service i've had with evans regarding my bike and a hundred other smaller parts from cables to pedals and seats ive purchased.

It does pay to go into the store and speak to the staff in my experience.
  • Refer to rule #5
  • Chunkers1980
    I would if I knew where to refer?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would if I knew where to refer?
    Don't worry, they are for walkers.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Ah, yes, that one inparticular helps when walking.