Drugs in other sports and the media.

12467188

Posts

  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,549
    jerry3571 wrote:
    Must admit I thought I had posted about this but my Computer maybe playing up. :?

    This is an Article about the Scrabble World Champs; nothing is sacred these days-

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/au ... s-cheating

    Doping is worth at least 10 points in Scrabble - 20 if it's on a double word square.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 6,796
    Clenbuterol is worth 15 but erythropoietin gets 22
  • jerry3571jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I have noooo idea, I say Board Games are called Bored Games for a reason.

    I'm sure Mattel might be interested in hearing about Cycling Scrabble. Imagine the words!! :)
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

    "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • shinyhelmutshinyhelmut Posts: 1,369
    bompington wrote:
    Clenbuterol is worth 15 but erythropoietin gets 22

    I reckon Franck Schleck is leading the doping scrabble with "Xipamide" :lol:
  • MSM reporting police found steroids during search of Pistorius' home - and they're suggesting he may have killed Ms. Steenkamp in a 'roid rage.
    I have a policy of only posting comment on the internet under my real name. This is to moderate my natural instinct to flame your fatuous, ill-informed, irrational, credulous, bigoted, semi-literate opinions to carbon, you knuckle-dragging f***wits.
  • jerry3571jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Kenyan distance runner says their runners are on dope in a big way. Seems World Sport is in the Confession Box, shame the Pope has retired, after a new film comes out finding him implicated (looking the other way) in Pedo goings ons in the Catholic Church.
    Happy days!! :?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21471847
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

    "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Australia's having an absolute mare of it at the moment

    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/news/c ... -australia
  • Another reminder today of how dopers cheats other athletes

    3 Russian track athletes have been caught via bio passport, offences dating back to 2011. One of them, a female 800 runner called Rusanova, has been stripped of all titles back to 2011. At the Worlds in Daegu in 2011 she made the final and finished 8th. In the same event GB's Jenny Meadows came 3rd in her semi and failed to make the final. As a result Meadows had her funding cut by half in 2012, and controversially (she's a gold and silver medallist at European and Worlds level) she wasnt selected for the Olympic squad.

    THAT is what dopers do to others.
  • r0bhr0bh Posts: 1,406
    Another reminder today of how dopers cheats other athletes

    3 Russian track athletes have been caught via bio passport, offences dating back to 2011. One of them, a female 800 runner called Rusanova, has been stripped of all titles back to 2011. At the Worlds in Daegu in 2011 she made the final and finished 8th. In the same event GB's Jenny Meadows came 3rd in her semi and failed to make the final. As a result Meadows had her funding cut by half in 2012, and controversially (she's a gold and silver medallist at European and Worlds level) she wasnt selected for the Olympic squad.

    THAT is what dopers do to others.

    Meadows didn't make the Olympics because she was injured all last year. But other than that yeah must suck pretty badly when you find out something like that.
  • ProssPross Posts: 21,040
    The very sad Tom Maynard case has highlighted yet again how little testing and / or how ineffective testing can be. Considering it would appear from forensic evidence that he had been a regular user of recreational drugs for at least three months in the peak season you would have thought that, had he been tested, something would have shown up. I doubt recreational drug users in sport even think about masking what they are taking and I suspect there are other sports with far higher recreational drug use and yet positive tests are very rare.
  • I'm annoyed that they even test for recreational drugs (though cocaine can also be used as a PED). How much of the testing funding is thrown away on it? There's no reason whatsoever to do it.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • GabboGabbo Posts: 864
    Pross wrote:
    Radio 5 had an interview with yesterday Jason Brown, a Welsh international footballer who spent a good few years at Blackburn. He reckoned that in a 15 year playing career he has been tested about 8 times. Some lady in charge of doping for the FA reckons they target players and the targetting looks at how long it was since their last test so if that involves giving players a test once every other season on average I'm not sure what non-targetted testing is like! By comparison the winners of every pro bike race get tested along with a few randoms in each race and the out of comp testing. Blood is tested, whereas in football it isn't and yet even then many escape undetected for years.

    It is ridiculous that a sport with so much money as football makes so little effort to uncover doping and whilst cycling undoubtably deserves some of its reputation for being a dirty sport with regards to doping it is unsurprising that there are so many cases relative to some other sports. It is easy for a sport to look clean if no-one bothers looking for dirt.

    You talk about how cycling is used as a scapegoat for drugs doping, and that is their most guilty form of cheating in the sport. In football, other sinister forms of cheating are used such as the match fixing scandals, simulation, players/managers being tapped up. It gets exposed, as do drug cheats in cycling.

    Two completely different sports. The media pounces on the sport of football when even the smallest incident occurs. Racism seems to be the present focal point, and that is a lot less dignifying that drug doping imo
  • jerry3571jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think Football may be suffering from what cycling has suffered from; Omerta.
    If Steroids makes you get to a ball before someone else then players will do it. If you can run for 90 minutes solid then EPO will be on the shopping list. The Fuentes investigation was about a quarter cyclists to a much larger percentage of Footballers. Not sure if it was Barca and Real that had some involvement. I think some Italian Clubs have had some issues too.
    Football are like Banks, too big to fail. Big money.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operaci%C3 ... oping_case
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

    "You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • squiredsquired Posts: 1,216
    For me the Tom Maynard story was very sad and the follow up by the ECB was disappointing too. They went on about starting out of competition testing, when the player prompting this was clearly abusing drugs during the season. I think they gave a stat indicating that the number of tests they perform equate to 40% of players being tested once per season. If they'd had a proper drugs testing programme Tom Maynard could well still be alive. One has to ask about his flatmate, the former Surrey captain. I hope that the ECB will be performing targeted testing on him over the next few months, although hopefully the events of last summer have been enough to make him see sense.

    One thing that shouldn't be forgotten is that drugs tests are not all equal. A test on one sportsman today could screen for hundreds of drugs, where as a test on a different sportsman in a different sport could test for just a few (and be far cheaper as a result). Ideally the substances tested for should be targeted, but I doubt they are. Taking the example of cricket, one would imagine performance benefits from drugs making you more alert (drugs like Adderal - not sure if it is banned), drugs making you stronger (especially as the power hitting of the shorter forms of the game becomes a great way of earning lucrative contracts) and drugs to heal injuries (especially for bowlers). Testing for EPO would probably be pointless. Testing for steroids probably wouldn't be useful on a skinny bowler, but definitely useful on a powerful batsman.
  • A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,549
    A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.
    That's mostly likely due to them changing their manager in the summer.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ThomThomThomThom Posts: 3,574
    A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.

    Let's not jump to conclusions here based just on that :D

    They have no manager at the moment.
    Football teams are like riders. Good days, bad days, good form, bad form.
    Tactics
    Players rested, taking it easy, mind somewhere else (CL against Milan)
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,549
    ThomThom wrote:
    A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.

    Let's not jump to conclusions here based just on that :D

    They have no manager at the moment.
    Football teams are like riders. Good days, bad days, good form, bad form.
    Tactics
    Players rested, taking it easy, mind somewhere else (CL against Milan)

    It's also worth noting that Mourinho is the one manager who has consistently managed to thwart Barca's style of play
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • LutherBLutherB Posts: 544
    That's his modus operandi, the thwarting of style :)
  • shinyhelmutshinyhelmut Posts: 1,369
    LutherB wrote:
    That's his modus operandi, the thwarting of style :)

    I wonder if that strategy would work in cycling. Someone should try it.
  • No_Ta_DoctorNo_Ta_Doctor Posts: 9,289
    RichN95 wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:
    A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.

    Let's not jump to conclusions here based just on that :D

    They have no manager at the moment.
    Football teams are like riders. Good days, bad days, good form, bad form.
    Tactics
    Players rested, taking it easy, mind somewhere else (CL against Milan)

    It's also worth noting that Mourinho is the one manager who has consistently managed to thwart Barca's style of play

    Really? He's not had the best record against them with Real Madrid, has been handed his censored a few times.
    “Road racing was over and the UCI had banned my riding positions on the track, so it was like ‘Jings, crivvens, help ma Boab, what do I do now? I know, I’ll go away and be depressed for 10 years’.”

    @DrHeadgear

    The Vikings are coming!
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,549
    Really? He's not had the best record against them with Real Madrid, has been handed his ars* a few times.
    He's lost more than he's won (just), but Barca are meant to be the better side. I was thinking more of his time at Chelsea and Inter, where he tended to get the better of them (which maybe why Barca now play a less pressing game against Real now)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Richmond RacerRichmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    The IAAF's re-tested some samples from the 05 World Athletics Champs, resulting in 6 new positives

    http://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/ ... dverse-fin
  • smithy21smithy21 Posts: 2,197
    Gabbo wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Radio 5 had an interview with yesterday Jason Brown, a Welsh international footballer who spent a good few years at Blackburn. He reckoned that in a 15 year playing career he has been tested about 8 times. Some lady in charge of doping for the FA reckons they target players and the targetting looks at how long it was since their last test so if that involves giving players a test once every other season on average I'm not sure what non-targetted testing is like! By comparison the winners of every pro bike race get tested along with a few randoms in each race and the out of comp testing. Blood is tested, whereas in football it isn't and yet even then many escape undetected for years.

    It is ridiculous that a sport with so much money as football makes so little effort to uncover doping and whilst cycling undoubtably deserves some of its reputation for being a dirty sport with regards to doping it is unsurprising that there are so many cases relative to some other sports. It is easy for a sport to look clean if no-one bothers looking for dirt.

    You talk about how cycling is used as a scapegoat for drugs doping, and that is their most guilty form of cheating in the sport. In football, other sinister forms of cheating are used such as the match fixing scandals, simulation, players/managers being tapped up. It gets exposed, as do drug cheats in cycling.

    Two completely different sports. The media pounces on the sport of football when even the smallest incident occurs. Racism seems to be the present focal point, and that is a lot less dignifying that drug doping imo

    Just saw this now but as an Aberdeen fan Jason Brown is not the best example. He has made 162 club appearances in a 13 year career with most of them for Gillingham. Thats a test every 20 or so games. The testers probably decided he's not worth the effort and having seen his performances I would tend to agree!
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    ThomThom wrote:
    A colleague who watches football pretty closely asked me if I had watched the Real v Barca macth. I hadn't and he said that he has noticed that he no longer sees the Barca team running and pressing the opposition nearly as much as they used to.

    Let's not jump to conclusions here based just on that :D

    They have no manager at the moment.
    Football teams are like riders. Good days, bad days, good form, bad form.
    Tactics
    Players rested, taking it easy, mind somewhere else (CL against Milan)

    Agreed, just look at the analogy with darts.
  • mr_pollmr_poll Posts: 1,612
    Godolphin one the most successful stables in racing caught doping.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22258011

    What gets me is that the "catastrophic mistake" seems to be that the trainer thought it was ok to dope horses that werent actively racing!!! IMO is the equivalent to Sky or OPQS found to be doping wonder how much coverage it will get in the coming days?
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 22,549
    mr_poll wrote:
    Godolphin one the most successful stables in racing caught doping.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22258011

    What gets me is that the "catastrophic mistake" seems to be that the trainer thought it was ok to dope horses that werent actively racing!!! IMO is the equivalent to Sky or OPQS found to be doping wonder how much coverage it will get in the coming days?

    IMO it's bigger than that. There's huge money involved in Godolphin.

    Mind you, those horses are so inbred maybe this sort of thing is necessary.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DanlikesbikesDanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    mr_poll wrote:
    Godolphin one the most successful stables in racing caught doping.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/22258011

    What gets me is that the "catastrophic mistake" seems to be that the trainer thought it was ok to dope horses that werent actively racing!!! IMO is the equivalent to Sky or OPQS found to be doping wonder how much coverage it will get in the coming days?

    TBF I think his comment that it was a mistake has to be taken in some context & he is setting himself up with a defence nicely before the racing board investigation & the follow up statements that "Sheikh Mohammed has instructed me to begin an urgent review of all of our procedures and controls. That is already under way and we will take advice from the BHA in completing it."

    I no horse racing expert myself but have heard similar defence stories in other sports & comes across as all wrong in pretending they didn't know it was wrong in the first place and we are going to investigate this fully to ensure it does not happen again and will take advice from our governing body.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • mr_pollmr_poll Posts: 1,612
    I get he was probably setting up his defence - but in this day and age how can anyone claim that they thought is was ok as they werent racing - he could have least gone with "someone must have poisoned the feed" :roll:
  • DanlikesbikesDanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    mr_poll wrote:
    I get he was probably setting up his defence - but in this day and age how can anyone claim that they thought is was ok as they werent racing - he could have least gone with "someone must have poisoned the feed" :roll:

    What I meant was & I find it totally rubbish as an excuse but seem to see this in a lot of other sports 'Oh well he didn't know it was wrong, well we have fixed it now and it wont happen again as we have set up an investigation and we are working with our governing body"

    Just sounds like "yeah we know we were wrong and are sorry that we go caught, but as we are saying we didn't know its not an offence and even if it were we have changed our procedures and are working with our governing body to make sure this doesn't happen"

    Sadly seems to be very common these days
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
Sign In or Register to comment.