Drugs in other sports and the media.

Comments

• yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628

amrushton said:

Athletics - always a gift. Damn those tests!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55639597

Came here to post that, but since you have, here's another one from less than a week ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/55594385

Athletics: picking up cycling's baton.
    poor bloke spent years not knowing where he was, before sorting himself out, and now this....
  • yorkshireraw
    edited January 2021
    pblakeney said:

Athletics. The light that was shone on cycling is now on them.
    Cyclists were not alone in the 90s, or later.

Indeed - Spanish Marathon runners suddenly became world beaters in the '90s.

At the time of Martin Fiz winning the 94 Euro and then 95 World Champs, there were comments about how he had the same 'Doctor' (sometimes referred to as coach) as Indurain, who was obv the big name from Cycling at the same time. In those days of course these things were said without the raised eyebrow they now elicit.
    Never been able to find anything that confirmed who was being referred to though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited January 2021

pblakeney said:

At the time of Martin Fiz winning the 94 Euro and then 95 World Champs, there were comments about how he had the same 'Doctor' (sometimes referred to as coach) as Indurain, who was obv the big name from Cycling at the same time. In those days of course these things were said without the raised eyebrow they now elicit.
    Never been able to find anything that confirmed who was being referred to though.

That will be Eufemiano Fuentes (of Puerto fame). He was a doctor for the Spanish team at the Barcelona Olympics and had worked with the Reynolds team, although I'm not sure of any direct connection to Indurain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

That will be Eufemiano Fuentes (of Puerto fame). He was a doctor for the Spanish team at the Barcelona Olympics and had worked with the Reynolds team, although I'm not sure of any direct connection to Indurain.
    The same doctor who's client list was declared to be kept secret by the Spanish courts. There was a lot of Spanish success in various sports from that period on.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

The same doctor who's client list was declared to be kept secret by the Spanish courts. There was a lot of Spanish success in various sports from that period on.
    Their national football team went from decidedly average to literally world beaters at the time too.
    And Snr Hairplugs was still reaping the benefits of the good doctor's advice 20 years later!
  • yorkshireraw
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Yeah that was the assumption but never heard of any direct connection between Fuentes and Indurain, so wasn't sure.

As an aside I met Abel Anton once (world Marathon champ in 97 - when Fiz took second - and 99) Lovely bloke - but career path suggested something very suspicious. Manzano outed Anton as a Fuentes client some time in the 2000s.

• RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

Although to provide balance, Spain had been underachieving for decades. Particularly at international football.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    edited January 2021

As an aside I met Abel Anton once (world Marathon champ in 97 - when Fiz took second - and 99) Lovely bloke - but career path suggested something very suspicious. Manzano outed Anton as a Fuentes client some time in the 2000s.

wasnt aware anyone outside of cycling had ever been named.

Think once during the trial Fuentes said give me the list and i'll tell you who they all are, but was stopped by the judge
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Indurain was a Conconi client. I assume it was a case of why go to your GP when you have access to the world's leading consultant.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    i dont think they need to pick up the baton. Had one of their own for long enough. Eastern Europeans and Russia must have handed peds out like sweets
  • sherer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55949730

footballer guilty, no mention of what the substance he is guilty for does and why its on the banned list.

Player says it was a mistake so nothing to see here, although even UEFA have backed him up on that, but still banned him
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe you should read the link you posted as it says what the substance found in his urine was.
  • RichN95.
    webboo said:

Maybe you should read the link you posted as it says what the substance found in his urine was.

Maybe you should read his post again. That's not what he said.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Opps my mistake sorry. It a diuretic I suppose he may have used it to lose weight or to pee out some other substance he may have taken.
  • sherer
    webboo said:

Opps my mistake sorry. It a diuretic I suppose he may have used it to lose weight or to pee out some other substance he may have taken.

useful to know, shame the BBC didn't include that info in the article. It may actually be a genuine mistake.

I do remember reading the CAS files on Maria Sharapova when she took her case there, and I was amazed that at no point was she ever challenged for why she needed to take the ban substance, or any medical proof for her condition. The fact she took this on vital match days was just glossed over .

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    sherer said:

webboo said:

useful to know, shame the BBC didn't include that info in the article. It may actually be a genuine mistake.

I do remember reading the CAS files on Maria Sharapova when she took her case there, and I was amazed that at no point was she ever challenged for why she needed to take the ban substance, or any medical proof for her condition. The fact she took this on vital match days was just glossed over .

It wasn't illegal when she was doing it... until it was, then she got done.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Djokovic doing the Aussie open jacked up on painkillers. Just casually dropped in with no questions asked.

"The medical team told me that it is a gamble while I'm on the court. It could cause much more damage, but it could go in a good direction. I won't know until I stop taking pain killers, they kind of hide what is really happening. I will take the time off afterwards."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/14/tennis/novak-djokovic-australian-open-milos-raonic-spt-intl/index.html
  • Djokovic doing the Aussie open jacked up on painkillers. Just casually dropped in with no questions asked.

"The medical team told me that it is a gamble while I'm on the court. It could cause much more damage, but it could go in a good direction. I won't know until I stop taking pain killers, they kind of hide what is really happening. I will take the time off afterwards."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/14/tennis/novak-djokovic-australian-open-milos-raonic-spt-intl/index.html

The double-standard between how cycling and other sports use medicines is laughable. Cyclists can't take cough medicine but tennis players can get pain killers to plainly assist performance? Journos covering tennis are a bunch of spineless yes-men, apparently.

It truly is a wonder how golden girl Sharapova was outed as a drugs cheat. Surely they could have covered it up somehow.

DD.

The double-standard between how cycling and other sports use medicines is laughable. Cyclists can't take cough medicine but tennis players can get pain killers to plainly assist performance? Journos covering tennis are a bunch of spineless yes-men, apparently.

It truly is a wonder how golden girl Sharapova was outed as a drugs cheat. Surely they could have covered it up somehow.

DD.
    I've used this example before (prob on this thread even) - a few years back the text commentary for an England Cricket match (prob a 1 dayer) stated quite matter of factly that Liam Plunkett had injured / strained his knee in warm up, and was having a 'pain killing injection' in it prior to the match to try and play. Not one question raised. Contrast to the 'absolute scandal' of someone, maybe, possibly, you know, having something on the Sky bus after a race in 2011.
  • RichN95.

I've used this example before (prob on this thread even) - a few years back the text commentary for an England Cricket match (prob a 1 dayer) stated quite matter of factly that Liam Plunkett had injured / strained his knee in warm up, and was having a 'pain killing injection' in it prior to the match to try and play. Not one question raised. Contrast to the 'absolute scandal' of someone, maybe, possibly, you know, having something on the Sky bus after a race in 2011.

Andrew Flintoff said he had 90 cortisone injections in his career
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...it's no wonder he struggled with his weight, eh?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95. said:

Andrew Flintoff said he had 90 cortisone injections in his career
    Didn't Ledley King get to the stage where he was having 1 before every match or something - this was playing for Spurs in the Premier League. He basically couldn't train - had 2/3 days off after a match, 1 or 2 days light jogging etc, then match day. Ridiculous.

Tommy Smith (70s Liverpool player) was wrecked

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/12/football.vivekchaudhary

Some interesting / scary comments here from Tim Sherwood. Assuming the 1600mg of 'painkillers' he was taking daily at the end of his career was ibuprofen - he's lucky he didn't have an ulcer or serious stomach problems.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/inject-or-not-inject-question-gerrard-and-mcclaren-401483.html
  • ddraver
    I quite enjoyed the podcast he did with Savage and Syed. On that, he said he was literally having one between every session. Bowling all his overs straight away and then waiting for the next break on the boundary barely able to move...

At the time the Wiggins 'story' was in full flow. It was astounding how no one cared about Flintoff.
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313

Djokovic doing the Aussie open jacked up on painkillers. Just casually dropped in with no questions asked.

DD.
    its all about context.
  • ddraver
    Move Over Tyler Hamilton's Twin we have a new Best Excuse Ever!

- @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Unusual for someone to take a eczema treatment for a cough. A least the cyclists did their research.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    Sarah Storey...
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

Sarah Storey...

Had a mild asthma attack and took the appropriate treatment. What would you rather her do? Choke on the floor in front of a full velodrome.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    ddraver said:

Move Over Tyler Hamilton's Twin we have a new Best Excuse Ever!

Some of the excuses in the article are just superb.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/m­ay/10/bob-baffert-medina-spirit-kentucky­-derby-horse-racing-cancel-culture-disqu­alification