Best 2nd Hand Downhill Bike for £5-600?

a2hgo
a2hgo Posts: 56
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
A couple of months back I bought a Cube Acid and did a few XC trails, just recently I've been giving some downhill tracks a go and much prefer it however the bikes clearly not cut out for some of the drop off, loose sections, harsh roots etc.

I've got someone coming to pick the Cube up tonight and have around £5-600 to spend on something more suitable for the downhill.

I've seen Kona Stinkys go for around that price range, are these a good bet?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Stinkys are alright, not really full on downhill bikes, but should do what you want. They're probably the best bet though - £5-600 won't get you a lot in terms of downhill bikes really.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • a2hgo
    Yes understand I'm pretty much at the bottom of the range and a bit limited in terms of choice but then as a beginner I don't need anything to fancy.

I guess it doesn't have to even be a full on DH bike, a free ride bike with a bit of travel should suffice.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Like I say, a stinky is a good choice - cheap, simple(ish), pretty bombproof and they handle well enough. I know a few mates with stinkys. While they're not top end downhill rigs, they do the job.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • a2hgo
    Nice one buddy!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A mate had a Stinky up until fairly recently it was a good bike for recreational DH. Dual crown Domains & sticky tyres it wasn't the lightest bike on the hill but it kept going in a steamroller kind of way. IIRC it was £800.

Spesh Big Hits also a popular choice

I had a look at a few used DH bikes last year tbh you have to look long and hard most of them are farked. It's worth checking for cracks in the stress areas of the frame and dents. Check all suspension pivot bearings, bottom bracket, headset play/bearings, wheel bearings, wear on cassette and chainrings, discs for scuffing and wear, rims for dents and buckles, mech indexing and fork seals for signs of oil seepage

Otherwise it should be OK :wink:
  • a2hgo
    Good advice there mate! I've seen a few with recent suspension services so will keep an eye out for one of these.

I reckon a Kona Stinky at that price is going to be about 2005-2007 so I'm happy to expect some wear and tear but if its completely nackered I'll defo walk away as it might be cheap for a bike but £600 isn't pocket money.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Stinky's are aweful. Heavy with poor geometry and pedals very badly.
    The Specialized Big hit is far better. Good geometry, bombproof frame, great rear suspension, reasonable weight, pedals well and worth upgrading with better components.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    a2hgo wrote:
    ...happy to expect some wear and tear but if its completely nackered I'll defo walk away
    Yes unfortunately it's the nature of the beast hard-hitting bikes tend to be hit quite hard and quite often.

Another fella I know bought some Fox 40s off eBay and the cost of putting them right made them not far short of new 40s

Caveat emptor as they say
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Gotta mate selling his Big Hit over here for about £800...so if you find yourself in the south east of France gi's a shout :)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just to be picky, are you actually looking for a DH bike, or just something a bit tougher. A full on DH bike is rubbish for anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Avoid high spec suspension components, repairing a set of Boxxers, Fox 40's or Marzocchi 888's could easily cost you £500. Rockshox Domains are bombproof and very simple so are pretty safe as a used buy.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I bought a Big Hit for bike park riding this summer - I pair 1000 canadian or about 600 quid for a good nick 2009 version and I personally think its a great bike - good geometry, plush suspension (a little too plush for any sort of pedalling) and generally a good ride - mine is a Big Hit 2 and has OK kit on - pimp whores will hate the Avid brakes and the sram gears are a marmite issue (they dont bother me but I dont like them much either). Wheels seem pretty solid, standard tyres are great (Spesh Clutch) and it isnt too minging to look at either.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Specialized Big hit is far better. Good geometry, bombproof frame, great rear suspension, reasonable weight, pedals well and worth upgrading with better components.

The Stinky pedals no worse than a Big Hit!!! In terms of anti squat an main pivot position they are very similar, and behave similarly under power.
  • rockmonkeysc
    supersonic wrote:

The Stinky pedals no worse than a Big Hit!!! In terms of anti squat an main pivot position they are very similar, and behave similarly under power.

Big Hit pedals much better than the Stinky
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I disagree. In trying them and in theory. A good shock with lots of LSC is needed with both. FSRs, including this one, are some of the most bob inducing rides there are.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Maybe the Stinky's I rode had dead shocks and the Big Hits had good shocks. Stinky still has crap geometry, weighs as much as a cow and handles now where near as good as the Big Hit.
    I'm not usually a fan of Specialized or FSR (I don't like the new Norco's with FSR either) but the Big Hit is a great DH bike for anyone on a tight budget.
  • Hi.
    was looking for a cheap(ish) downhill bike myself and found this.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78895

Was researching it a bit ( pros and cons of a 4 year old bike) and found this thread, and so have jumped in.

Any advice coming from experience appreciated.
  • felix.london
    That's a jump bike. Although it may be tough that 100mm of front suspension will get eaten up on any DH track

Trek Session 8
  • a2hgo
    Looked at the Big Hits but the're all massive! I need something fairly small being 5.ft 5. Seen a few small Kona Stinkys around the £5-600 mark such as this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1200712/
  • rockmonkeysc
    Those 2008 Marzocchi 66 forks can be very unreliable, particularly if they are the ATA model.
    Also have a look at Santa Cruz Bullit's and Orange 222/223's Norco Team DH & A-Line can also be a fairly good cheap DH bike.
  • Could you stretch the budget at all? Small 2010 Giant Reign X or 2009 Glory 0 only £1099 at Paul's Cycles, at least you get peace of mind that it hasn't been thrashed to death, and a lifetime warranty on the frames IIRC. Plus, what you'd potentially need to spend fixing up a £500 used DH bike could easily take you to the price of one of these.

m7968_glory0.jpg
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p2260

m9580_reign_x2_gray_ge_gu.jpg
    http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p2817
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • a2hgo
    The Mrs will kill me if I spend even more money on a bike :lol:

Convinced he about buying the Cube only to a few weeks later say its not right, sell it and looking to buy another...needless to say I'm not exactly in the good books. haha.

Maybe I could pick up a second hand one of them for the right price....
  • felix.london
    Personally I'd be keeping the Cube and getting the DH bike too - even if I had to wait longer to get it. Having one of those lumps as your only bike would be a nightmare, no?

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Glory is good (but heavy). I had the Reign X, got through three lower linkages in 6 months, not one of Giant's best efforts though the older model was much better.
    Pre 2010 Glory's and Reign X's are a fairly safe used buy.
  • a2hgo
    Doing all the uphill on the XC tracks was nightmare enough. I'm more of a downhill/push up kind of guy, haha.
  • felix.london
    a2hgo wrote:
    Doing all the uphill on the XC tracks was nightmare enough. I'm more of a downhill/push up kind of guy, haha.

:lol: you lazy git!

Trek Session 8
  • a2hgo
    Ha, you're right.

Any good at £600?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Stinky-D ... 4608df4fec
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    a2hgo wrote:
    Ha, you're right.

Any good at £600?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Stinky-D ... 4608df4fec

Why why why did you have to post that. I want a DH bike and that one is my size and about 4 miles from my house. (goes to smash the kids piggy banks :x )
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • a2hgo
    Haha! There's loads about mate. Too big for me that one but gauging what I can get for the money.

Another about the same range here:

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1204885/
  • That's a jump bike. Although it may be tough that 100mm of front suspension will get eaten up on any DH track

Thanks. Good point. Just looked up slope style - a slope not being a hill in this sense.