Helitape pulled the paint off my carbon 456 top tube!

appy
appy Posts: 408
edited October 2012 in MTB general
Used this on my carbon 456

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160891641004? ... 1497.l2649

Put it on 3 weeks ago and removed a few pieces today to do it better however on removing a piece on the top tube it pulled an inch square of paint off. It actually took the lacquer and the black paint off exposing the grey underneath. Weather wasnt cold as it was in my living room. Do you think i have a warranty claim or will on one say otherwise? Frame is 4 months old. Ive used this tape on 6 bikes and have never had any issues at all. Im gutted as the bike looks a right mess now and not sure what to do about it.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Did you heat up the tape to remove it?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How can you have a warranty claim for damage you caused?

If you must have a go at someone apart from yourself you could try the seller who said it was easy to remove.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • appy
    Didnt heat it up as it was in the house which as usual the Mrs had the heating on full blast. Have used their tape on plenty of bikes in the past with no issues when removing, and never needed to heat it up first.

You say I caused it which is fair enough but I was hardly doing anything untoward was I? And im sure putting on and removing helitape is done by hundreds of people everyday without issue.
  • Definitely let them know what happened and that you expect it to be covered under warranty, but make sure you post their response on here :D
  • appy
    Why do a few of you have to ruin this site? Seriously every other post from you is a snide comment, Your lives must be really dull as you also seem to be on here 24hrs a day. Why are you so bitter?

Nobody expects a sticker to pull paint off a frame thats a sign of a bad paint job. Im sure you will come back with your witty repost's, I for one wont be around to see your replies so your wit will be wasted. Enjoy.
  • cooldad
    My reply was neither snide, nor bitter, simply a reply to your question and a suggestion.
    But the gel coat/paint isn't structural so you could just touch it up if it bugs you.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm with the OP on this. Lets be clear, it's not the first time On Ones paint jobs have come under scrutiny! If heli-taping their carbon frame is unsuitable, they should make customers aware.

Also, I've found On Ones customer service to be brilliant for the most part, and whilst this is something which they could claim is of your own doing and send you packing, I suspect they'll sort it for you.

As someone that's looking at a C456 frame build soon, I hope you can overcome the deterrents on here, and post back to say how you got on.

Good luck
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    OK, so...

It's basically reasonable to expect that you should be able to use helitape on a bike frame, right? Especially an On One, with their legendary finish.
    And if you're helitaping a bike, it's reasonable to expect it to come off, too.
    And it's reasonable to expect the finish of a bike to be durable enough to do battle with stickytape and survive.

But it'd be hard to make any serious case against On One for this as you've used someone else's product on their bike. And you might be able to go up against the seller as he says "Easy to apply or remove by hand", but he could simply say it's the bike that's at fault.

Going to be a tricky one. I'd speak very politely to On One.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Oh yeah and mod hat- even constructive comments are unhelpful if you deliver them in the style of a total cunt. If anyone's wondering "Is he talking about me"- if I deleted your post then yes I am.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Hahahahahhaaha :lol::lol::lol:
    cosna kick a bo agen a wo and ed it back till it bos-UP HANLEY ME DUCK

NO STAIRWAY....DENIED!

D.Leyland
    Current Bike-TREK 4500
    Previous Bikes
    :Giant Roam 3
    :Bianchi Nirone 7
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I agree with Northwind - though it is kind of common sense to use a hairdryer to remove it, as that's what it goes on with because it melts the glue. Your typical room temperature (even with the heating on) isn't going to be enough to melt the glue on the tape. Yeah most of the time it's fine if you peel it straight off, but as you have discovered, not all finishes are that durable (hence the heli-tape, surely?).
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • appy
    edited October 2012
    For the genuine people on the site yes On One agreed there was a problem with the black layer of paint not bonding to the grey underneath as using helitape on their frames shouldn't be an issue so I was given a replacement frame. I also was able to change colour to green as they didn't have that in stock when I initially purchased it and that was my preferred colour so I'm well happy :-) Thanks to Will at On-One for sorting it out.

And to the others, You were wrong, I was right. Goes to show how little you actually know about bike's. :mrgreen:

Logging off and taking my shiny 456 for a ride :mrgreen: (not before helptaping obviously)
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    appy wrote:
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Hahahahahhaaha :lol::lol::lol:

Yep Laughed all the way home with my new frame...retard.

For the genuine people on the site yes On One agreed there was a problem with the black layer of paint not bonding to the grey underneath as using helitape on their frames shouldn't be an issue so I was given a replacement frame. I also was able to change colour to green as they didn't have that in stock when I initially purchased it and that was my preferred colour so I'm well happy :-) Thanks to Will at On-One for sorting it out.

And to the others, You were wrong, I was right. Goes to show how little you actually know about bike's. :mrgreen:

Logging off and taking my shiny 456 for a ride :mrgreen: (not before helptaping obviously)

Well done nice to see there are still some companies out there who actually care about customers :P
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    appy wrote:
    Dannyboy95 wrote:
    Hahahahahhaaha :lol::lol::lol:

Yep Laughed all the way home with my new frame...retard.

Cracking result and reply!

Enjoy the new frame. :D
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Appy, I actually think Danny was laughing at Northwind's comment.
  • appy
    If thats case apologies, Sorry Danny it read like you were taking delight in my suffering ive deleted my comment.

And on another plus note ive just ordered a 2012 Strive ES 9.0 as ive sold my Mega so today is a good day.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    ive found on here if you ask a silly question (not that you have) or you forget the simplest of things you will get pounced on! :lol:
  • What great news. As someone desperate to frame swap to a C456, I'm so glad On One provided sound customer service.

Well done you and well done On One. Hope you don't leave the forum!

"Sales through service"
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • appy
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the reply Paul, Calmed down now and wont be letting a few bitter individuals ruin it for the masses.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    On a side note...has anyone ever used one of these?

BBB TubeSkin Kit BBP60
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=29808
    29808.jpg

Have put one on the Snap's downtube, but not quite central (or straight) :roll:

Would the hairdryer trick work on this stuff?

The bit where it says "Extra strong adhesive won't come off even under the most extreme conditions" makes me think I'm gonna have to live with it the way it is :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    Will helitape come off fork lowers without ripping the decals off? I rushed mine for an uplift and left creases and bubbles (proper cowboy job) which have now filled with dirt :oops:
    Want to remove it but am worried I'll take the Fox stickers with it.....
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You got 2 options. Try or not, which bothers you the most? You can try heat too and you can buy new stickers.
  • Pics or it didn't happen.

I sent on one pics of my frame a couple of months ago as the lacquer had bubbled and was falling off in more than a couple of places. They told me "sorry not a warranty claim" and I left it at that. Did they email you to confirm this fault? Can you forward it to me? I'm a bit miffed at this.
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • appy
    Just to ad the reason I managed a colour change was because they had no 18" grey frames in stock.
    Bred2shred wrote:
    Pics or it didn't happen.

I sent on one pics of my frame a couple of months ago as the lacquer had bubbled and was falling off in more than a couple of places. They told me "sorry not a warranty claim" and I left it at that. Did they email you to confirm this fault? Can you forward it to me? I'm a bit miffed at this.

If your opening line wasnt calling me a liar id of helped.
  • cooldad
    appy wrote:
    Just to ad the reason I managed a colour change was because they had no 18" grey frames in stock.
    Bred2shred wrote:

Karma!
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    appy wrote:
    Bred2shred wrote:

Karma!

I didn't call you a liar, and please dont take any offence. But i can't really go back to on one with the argument that they can replace your frame and not mine for similar failure without any evidence. I'm asking for your help, one mountain biker to another.

My opening line was meant to sound more playfull than it actually did. Apologies.
    Thanks, Neil
    Never argue with an idiot, he'll only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
  • appy
    Ok

Well heres a pic of the bike complete, the frame flaking and the 3rd pic is me seeing if my blue wheels will go with a green frame lol

What the pic doesnt sho is how it was flaking all down the side where the helitape wasnt. I also have an email from on one saying its fine to use helitape on all of their frames.

043mwx.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

021ysq.jpg

20121019102803.jpg

If youve been to on one you will know the sofa
  • appy
    And built back up

img9065t.jpg

• Aah, cheers appy.

I was sent this email at the begining of last month.

Paint isn't covered under warranty I'm afraid. If its only a small area you can clean and dry the area and then use clear nail varnish to seal it, if its a larger area it could be painted and lacquered using automotive paints.

Regards

Jamie
    Customer Service Advisor

After sending them these pictures.

2na4emt.jpg

3590nmc.jpg

mbobyg.jpg

17bmkp.jpg

If I pm'd you my email could you forward me anything daming to their argument with me?
    Much appreciated.
  • appy
    They only said it was fine to use heli tape mate. They could say with yours that it was due to stone chips. My paint defect was obviously peeling off in huge bits. If your frame was mine id re-lacquer it myself.