The times they are a'changin'

124»

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Rag and bone man collecting using a horse and cart.

BOB'S GONE MAM!!!!

:lol:

(for Southerners and youngsters: "Mother the money in the electricity meter has run out and you need to put more in" The was generally a low denomination coin such as a 5 pence piece, in later times this became a 50p piece and ultimately (when I was a student!) a £1 coin)

my nan had an 50p meter

anyone have a "pop van" when they were younger, basically a van delivering fizzy drinks an you got money back when dropped the empties off

Corona bottles. The ultimate way to recycle glass.

Yup. We had them.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266

Yup. We had them.

Ben Shaws.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Using the choke to start the car in the cold. I remember a mate's dad who was a British Leyland mechanic telling us about an old dear that had bought a first generation Metro, repeatedly returning the car to the workshop because it kept kangarooing. My mates dad couldn't find anything wrong with it so eventually asked the lady to take him out for a test drive. First thing she did was pull out the choke and hang her hand bag on it. She thought it was a clever feature for securing her bag rather than a device to alter the fuel/air mixture. :?
    Heard countless variations of that over the years. I think it's just a motor trade joke that gets repeated in various guises. Maybe it did happen once and has done a few laps of the trade, more likely a bit of an urban myth.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Greg T wrote:

Funnily enough . . . with the cost of scrap metal having gone up so much I was amazed when my Dad (who was a builder) told me to just leave out on the street metal rich items as they would get cleaned up by "skip rats". Guys who just drive round in vans and clear up stuff they can weigh in / sell on. mark it up as "please take" and it goes like magic (note - this does not work on just any old crap so don't come back to me saying your mouldy spuds are still sat in your drive)

He's right, leave anything out front and it will go, a Belfast sink that I'd been growing bulbs in went in two hours - it weighed 40kg . . .
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I remember having to get up to change TV channel - the buttons had about 1 inch of travel.
    I remember when the TV had 4 buttons - 1,2,3 and *. We wondered what the * would one day be used for!
    I remember when the remote control for the video had a cable.
    I remember when there was a specific place in the house you had to stand/sit in order to make a telephone call.
    I remember having a calor gas fire in the kitchen.
    I remember having ice on the inside of my bedroom window in the winter mornings.
    I remember the pop van, the chip van, and of course the dog and bone man.
    I remember the environmentally friendly electric vehicles which early every morning morning brought fresh milk, eggs and bread to your door. Now there's a crazy idea.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Funnily enough . . . with the cost of scrap metal having gone up so much I was amazed when my Dad (who was a builder) told me to just leave out on the street metal rich items as they would get cleaned up by "skip rats". Guys who just drive round in vans and clear up stuff they can weigh in / sell on. mark it up as "please take" and it goes like magic (note - this does not work on just any old crap so don't come back to me saying your mouldy spuds are still sat in your drive)

He's right, leave anything out front and it will go, a Belfast sink that I'd been growing bulbs in went in two hours - it weighed 40kg . . .
    Works for vacuum cleaners, Ironing boards and bike wheels as well.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Reminds me of the old story of guy who left a TV outside his house with "please take me" written on it. After several hours it was still there. He then labelled it "For Sale £100".......someone nicked it within the hour. :lol:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Daz555 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

Reminds me of the old story of guy who left a TV outside his house with "please take me" written on it. After several hours it was still there. He then labelled it "For Sale £100".......someone nicked it within the hour. :lol:

When I was living in Germany the last Wednesday of the month is Spermull day (sp?). Everyone puts out anything they want to get rid of and anyone can pick it up if they want it. The following morning the council take away what's left. Simple and brilliant.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Daz555 wrote:
    [...]
    I remember when there was a specific place in the house you had to stand/sit in order to make a telephone call.
    [...]

Still the case with me; one wired handset (land-line) located coincidentally in the only place in the house with mobile reception.

Oh, and if not posted already:

cassette-tape-and-pencil-li.jpg
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    DrLex wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    [...]
    [...]

Still the case with me; one wired handset (land-line) located coincidentally in the only place in the house with mobile reception.

Yup, pea roast.

Remember making compilation tapes for girls though? :D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Greg T wrote:

BOB'S GONE MAM!!!!

:lol:

(for Southerners and youngsters: "Mother the money in the electricity meter has run out and you need to put more in" The was generally a low denomination coin such as a 5 pence piece, in later times this became a 50p piece and ultimately (when I was a student!) a £1 coin)

my nan had an 50p meter

anyone have a "pop van" when they were younger, basically a van delivering fizzy drinks an you got money back when dropped the empties off

Yup. We had them.

We used to use the Corona bottles to make ginger beer to get pished when we were kids. I remember one exploded in my bedroom and the glass shards embedded in the wall. My mum went spare. Luckily I was away on a Scout camp.
    Our neighbour use to give us his Newky Brown bottles to return to the pub for the deposit because he couldn't be bothered. The pub then had a proper "off sales" section, now sadly long gone.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • SimonAH wrote:
    DrLex wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:
    [...]
    [...]

Yup, pea roast.

Remember making compilation tapes for girls though? :D

Yep. Spent hours on them for my girlfriend. And it works - we've been married 19 years now. The tapes are still somewhere in the attic.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    DrLex wrote:

Hiphop and garage sound far better on a tape than they do on any other format.

FACT.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Hiphop and garage sound far better on a tape than they do on any other format.

FACT.

Yes, and rap:
    extremely_old_school_ll_cool_j_with_ghetto_blaster.jpg

Right:
    ghetto-blaster.jpg

You're doing it wrong:
    _57823565_57823564.jpg
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Have recently watched - ashes to ashes and life on mars on netflix.

I don't really miss the 70's much but by God I miss the 80's! Think it must have been my youthful Mormones - but I still think women look better in 80's clothes (ok not all of them) than nowadays.