The times they are a'changin'

Comments

• edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    someone asked me about my 18th and I said that I did loads of stuff that weekend but the actual day was a sunday so not much happened, I went to the pub - 'why didn't you put it on facebook ?' 'er, cos it didn't exist then'

WHAT? no facebook ????' she really couldn't grasp this...

well yeah, and very few of us had mobiles....

SERIOUSLY???? she *really* couldn't grasp this - I had to show her photo's of the phones from the 80s with the motorbike battery attached to the curly lead handset...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edhornby wrote:
    someone asked me about my 18th and I said that I did loads of stuff that weekend but the actual day was a sunday so not much happened, I went to the pub - 'why didn't you put it on facebook ?' 'er, cos it didn't exist then'

SERIOUSLY???? she *really* couldn't grasp this - I had to show her photo's of the phones from the 80s with the motorbike battery attached to the curly lead handset...

i remember my dad having a "mobile" that he carried around in a bag the handset had a curley wire, i think it was a motorola

this bad boy i think

motorola-4500x-1_zpscbfc0b86.jpg

im sure its still in the house somewhere
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    pangolin wrote:
    craker wrote:
    pangolin wrote:
    You're right about games, they are so much better. When GTA came out it was amazing (Both sandbox top down and later sandbox 3D).

That is a highly controversial statement! Is Fifa 2019 really any better than Sensible Soccer? Platform games didn't get much better than Manic Miner IMHO. Even most 3D shooters are Doom with frills.

Anyway... I remember getting out first colour TV, must have been the mid 70s. We turned the colour right up and I recall watching The Generation Game in retina burning purples and reds and greens. Well, it was the seventies.

I must have missed Sensible Sandbox Soccer. :)

To say CoD is Doom with frills is dumbing things down a bit. If they released Catacombs 3D or Wolfenstein 3D and said 'well that's that, anything else will just be this with frills' then we would be living in a very different world, using something like Windows 3.1, and probably not discussing this on a forum.

So yes, I would say they have got better.
    Nah i will go along with every first person shooter being Doom with frills.

For me every 3rd person RPG will be Zelda Ocarina of Time (best game ever made) with frills. People all over the internet claim that every third person 3D RPG online game or (MMORPG) is WoW with frills and they're probably right.

These things laid down the template and foundations for these things to exist. The newer versions are better but its the frills that make them better.

Doom is one of those games that started it all for the first person shooter market. Much like the Nokia 5110 made mobile phones acceptable for teenagers to have.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    This has got me thinking. I have only ever driven cars that have power steering and electric windows.

I can remember having milk in school.

Betamax, Laserdisc and minidisc - which I though had far more potential.

I remember not having a microwave and having to eat dinner when it had finished cooking.

I can remember Trevor Mcdonald and a time when black presenters/actors being on TV was such a rare thing when there was one on telly you'd get a phone call from a family member telling you to turn the telly over because there was a black person on the other channel. - You then had to watch out of some unspoken loyalty.

I remember when Snickers were called Marathons, Starburst were Opal fruits and tango came in an orange can with oranges printed on it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    mudcow007 wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

i remember my dad having a "mobile" that he carried around in a bag the handset had a curley wire, i think it was a motorola

this bad boy i think

motorola-4500x-1_zpscbfc0b86.jpg

im sure its still in the house somewhere

+1. Both parents are vets, so this revolutionised being "on call". Before that, they used pagers, and had to find the nearest phone box.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Ring pulls that WERE ring pulls

and you could detach the ring and turn it into a mini-frisbee with the metal tag as the launcher
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    pagers

Yep. They were great. Obviously txt has replaced it but imagine: Phoning an operator, telling her your message, she'd type it and that would be sent to the pager. The future.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    When I got my first Internet acccess (Demon dial-up, tenner a month), all this would have been USENET. uk.rec.bicycles or something.

I once created a new newsfroup in the alt hierarchy. True story. (alt.comics.2000ad, for the record).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I remember booting up games like Doom and Transport tycoon with DOS.

How did it go again?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,337
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    pagers

Yep. They were great. Obviously txt has replaced it but imagine: Phoning an operator, telling her your message, she'd type it and that would be sent to the pager. The future.

No, these didn't send text, they just beeped to let you know that the office was trying to get in touch.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Getting knock-off copies of computer games. Using not bit-torrent, but a twin-deck cassette recorder. Fingers crossed...
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    CiB wrote:
    That was when having BBC2 was a sign of opulence, not like today when apparently having access to 200+ channels on Freesat but no Sky Sports [stingy git here... :)] is a mark of absolute poverty.
    We don't have a TV and that used to mean something. Now it just means that we use iPlayer and, um, download stuff.
    Agent57 wrote:
    When I got my first Internet acccess (Demon dial-up, tenner a month), all this would have been USENET. uk.rec.bicycles or something.
    My 2nd year Uni CS professor warned me about USENET and how much of a time-waster it would be... but rec.motorcycles ("wreck motorcycles" was well named) got me into bikes.
    I can very clearly remember that moment when I fired up the 4 disk demo version of it and sat there stunned at being able to move around in circles CIRCLES!!! and walking smoothly forward. Mind blowing.
    One up: I remember being blown away by Wolfenstein 3D. (Self-one up: being blown away by the original Prince of Persia where the dude could run smoothly!!!)
    CiB wrote:
    v boxy file manager that might have been called Gold Star
    XTreeGold?

How did it go again?
    Well, first you start with configuring high memory, and then moving on to the IRQ settings, if you're lucky enough to have an 8-bit SoundBlaster...

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

How did it go again?

Re-live the e1m1 music here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw \o/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    The new GoPro HD Hero 3, announced today, freaking insane what kind of sports camera you can get these days.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U&
  • Agent57 wrote:

I once created a new newsfroup in the alt hierarchy. True story. (alt.comics.2000ad, for the record).

uk.rec.cycling is still there something of a troll pit, alt.comics.2000ad is as well but looks like it's fairly dead Jim.
  • rick_chasey
    jamesco wrote:

How did it go again?
    Well, first you start with configuring high memory, and then moving on to the IRQ settings, if you're lucky enough to have an 8-bit SoundBlaster...

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be ;)

Don't remember that bit!

I was only 7. Doubt I did any of that.
  • rick_chasey
    Agent57 wrote:

How did it go again?

Re-live the e1m1 music here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw \o/

Might like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 4yIxUOWrtw
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    This has got me thinking. I have only ever driven cars that have power steering and electric windows.

I recall the good old days of motoring when on a frosty morning the whole street reverberated to the sounds of people trying to start their cars, many without success. In our case, that meant me, my mum and brothers all push starting it so dad could go to work. When was the last time you saw anyone push start a car?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I recall the good old days of motoring when on a frosty morning the whole street reverberated to the sounds of people trying to start their cars, many without success. In our case, that meant me, my mum and brothers all push starting it so dad could go to work. When was the last time you saw anyone push start a car?
    About 3 weeks ago. Bloke had left his lights on and was trying to bump start it so I gave his mates a hand shoving it down the road.
  • mudcow007
    DonDaddyD wrote:

my old purple beetle had no power steering (pretty much had no steering with the all the play in the steering box) or electric windows

but would start on even when it was covered in ice
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Rag and bone man collecting using a horse and cart.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • DonDaddyD
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    pagers

No, these didn't send text, they just beeped to let you know that the office was trying to get in touch.
    Given the thread, there is real irony here.
    Food Chain number = 4

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    DonDaddyD wrote:

When was the last time you saw anyone push start a car?

Ah - my trusty Alfa racer - had windy windows (now fixed Lexan) and has no power steering. And, at Mallory Park, had to be push-started after the starter motor fell apart :oops: :oops:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • vermin
    DonDaddyD wrote:

When was the last time you saw anyone push start a car?

Ah - my trusty Alfa racer - had windy windows (now fixed Lexan) and has no power steering. And, at Mallory Park, had to be push-started after the starter motor fell apart :oops: :oops:

A friend used to drive a 33 Boxer in the AROC series. Used to let me have a go sometimes. What a hoot! Loved it so much that I ended up buying one, and then going through a further 5 or 6 Alfas in the following few years.
  • meanredspider
    vermin wrote:
    A friend used to drive a 33 Boxer in the AROC series. Used to let me have a go sometimes. What a hoot! Loved it so much that I ended up buying one, and then going through a further 5 or 6 Alfas in the following few years.

My very first Alfa was a 33 "Boxer 4C" (first car with electric windows too) (had 16 Alfas since... :lol: :roll: :lol: )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • A remember when you didn't need a zillion gears, huge tyres and suspension to ride your bike in the woods. I think my down hill career started (and pretty much finished) on my mate's mum's shopper with 20 inch wheels and 3 (count'em) sturmey archer gears.

Using the choke to start the car in the cold. I remember a mate's dad who was a British Leyland mechanic telling us about an old dear that had bought a first generation Metro, repeatedly returning the car to the workshop because it kept kangarooing. My mates dad couldn't find anything wrong with it so eventually asked the lady to take him out for a test drive. First thing she did was pull out the choke and hang her hand bag on it. She thought it was a clever feature for securing her bag rather than a device to alter the fuel/air mixture. :?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • vermin
    I started off with my favourite - the properly loony 33 Mk2 Sportwagon 1.7, before getting an only slightly less bonkers 16v.
  • meanredspider
    vermin wrote:
    I started off with my favourite - the properly loony 33 Mk2 Sportwagon 1.7, before getting an only slightly less bonkers 16v.

Yup - we had the MK2 Sportwagon 1.7 in Belgium - great car
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Greg T wrote:

BOB'S GONE MAM!!!!

:lol:

(for Southerners and youngsters: "Mother the money in the electricity meter has run out and you need to put more in" The was generally a low denomination coin such as a 5 pence piece, in later times this became a 50p piece and ultimately (when I was a student!) a £1 coin)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    Greg T wrote:

BOB'S GONE MAM!!!!

:lol:

(for Southerners and youngsters: "Mother the money in the electricity meter has run out and you need to put more in" The was generally a low denomination coin such as a 5 pence piece, in later times this became a 50p piece and ultimately (when I was a student!) a £1 coin)

my nan had an 50p meter

anyone have a "pop van" when they were younger, basically a van delivering fizzy drinks an you got money back when dropped the empties off