2x10 - X9, XT or SLX?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited October 2012 in MTB buying advice
I am replacing my worn groupset, and might take the opportunity to go 10 speed. I understand the benefits, but would I be found wanting in the tallest gear? The lowest gear would be pretty much the same as my current setup.

I run Formula Oro brakes and use a poploc, so the bars are short on real estate, and I have never found a nice position with the '06 XT shifters.

I am drawn to SRAM as I can use matchmakers and I am impressed by the SRAM Red road groupset I now have. XT might be slightly harder to set up.

I am also cost consious so have not ruled out SLX, as it is still a hell of a groupset and to that so would X7 be?

Basically any help from people who have owned the above groupsets would be appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XT.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • white91
    If possible could people also explain why
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sram seem to go wrong more often (judging from what I've read on the forum) and XT shifters are excellent.
    But I have Shimano on all my bikes so perhaps I'm biased.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Shimano every time. I used to use Sram exclusively but in the past year or so their parts have been getting less robust and they just don't last now, I would go through a rear mech every 3 months on the DH bike before it was unusable because of the amount of movement in the pivots. Old X9 was very good, my old rear mech lasted 2 years and was still perfect until the bolt snapped and it got twisted up in my back wheel taking out a load of spokes and they were probably my favorite shifter of all time when it was the first shifters after they got rid of the shifter windows, X0 was just that little bit too sharp a lever shape for my liking and the X7 and below just weren't in the same league. Nowadays I go for XTR shifters, XT's if I didn't have the money for the XTR's, XT for mechs and cassette with a KMC chain. Not entirely sure on the XT's but the XTR's can be adjusted where it clamps on the shifter itself so it has some side to side movement so you can set it up perfectly if the band isn't in quite the right place on the bars.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Xt without doubt, mine has been faultless in well over a years use and everything is still going strong. My most recent sram experience of their 1050 cassette was frnkly one of my worst, it was dire and I'm well glad I got shot of it, shoddy shifting, clunky, heavy, just plain crap.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I run XT on my 'hopper and X9 on my Session. It's not even a close contest in terms of build quality and function. XT all day long
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Run mainly SRAM on both bikes, the SRAM components have lasted longer than the shimano.

In other news, not all top brand cars run perfectly forever and can fail early.
  • I have X9 on my Remedy..... I shall be getting XT whenever I upgrade or build a new bike.
    I swear the Deore Shadow on the Rockhopper is better than the X9
  • I've always said SRAM in the past.

However, recently (last couple of years) SRAMs stuff seems to have fallen in quality quite dramatically. I'm now at the point where they can suck my balls! I'll be changing the X9 stuff on the Reed for XT as soon as I can and I'm not likely to be going back to SRAM products for quite some time.

I remember when they first brought out the Elixirs, and so many people were constantly banging on about how awesome they were. Seems like in the few years that have followed, they've not really done much else to advance their lines, where the Big S have done loads. As a result, they just don't compete anymore. IMHO of course.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The X9 on my road commuter is less relaible than the XT on my muddy MTB.....

SLX with XT shifters would be mys suggestion, the XT shifters are well worth the extra I think where the rest is pretty much paying for (a lack of) weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    I've always said SRAM in the past.

However, recently (last couple of years) SRAMs stuff seems to have fallen in quality quite dramatically. I'm now at the point where they can suck my balls! I'll be changing the X9 stuff on the Reed for XT as soon as I can and I'm not likely to be going back to SRAM products for quite some time.

I remember when they first brought out the Elixirs, and so many people were constantly banging on about how awesome they were. Seems like in the few years that have followed, they've not really done much else to advance their lines, where the Big S have done loads. As a result, they just don't compete anymore. IMHO of course.

This. Sram look like they're going back to the days where they're sponsored riders actually tryed to pay their way out of using sram mechs :lol:

Shimano brakes are the bomb btw, best lever shape on the market, can be got super cheap and are just plain awesome!
  • The Rookie
    Great thing with Shimano brakes is the cheap ones genuinely work just as well as the top end, they just weigh more, the bad thing with SRAM is the latest XX brakes still feel just like cheap and cheerful Juicy5's to use.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I've got an X0 1x9 setup on a bike at the moment, and until recently was running 3x10 SLX on another. The X0 seems to work really well to be fair. It is from 2008 though and I haven't had it that long, so can't comment on how durable it is or what the newer stuff is like. Shifting is really snappy and sharp, though one of the levers is a little sticky from time to time and doesn't return straight away.

SLX ran with no problems for 4 months before I sold the bike. Smooth shifting with no adjustment needed in that time.

With regard to brakes, I liked the XTs on my old bike so much I kept them, and do intend to put them on my new bike at some point in the future. Currently on there are Hope M4s, which again I was surprised about - the modulation is fantastic, I prefer this to the XTs, but the overall power not as good as the XTs. However, the main reason I'm sticking with the Hope's for now is cos the X0 shifter is mounted onto the brake and SRAM charge £20 for a bar mounting kit! The buggers. Anyone got one? :)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Got X9 & X7 on three bikes with full outers it seems to survive frequent intense neglect which suits me fine. Have not adjusted the gears on the Cannondale in four years

Have got XT on the Ramones and in terms of shifting it is definitely better but it needs more attention to keep it that way.
  • lawman
    older 9 speed Sram stuff seemed more reliable, old shimano 9 speed needed attention pretty regularly. The table has turned completely since the move to 10 speed happened. Dynasis stuff works fantastically, shimano changed the cable pull ratio on the 10 speed kit and its now pretty much maintenance free if you run full length outers from my experience.

Heard alot of stories of newer sram mechs and shifters falling apart and just generally being a pain, very much like Avid brakes. Why on earth manufacturers still spec avid is beyond me, there is just simply no reason not to pick shimano, other than them perhaps getting a better OEM deal from SRAM because they know they're kit is crap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Used to run XX, now run XTR, Shimano every time.
  • It does definitely seem like the big S nailed it with 10sp and SRAM just got left scratching their heads.
  • white91
    Wow huge response!

Basically I'm now thinking got the whole hog and get the XT brakes too, best of both worlds.

Might build a commuter with the old groupset as 2x10 won't get me far on the road!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Stick with Shimano and stick with 9 speed.

There is a subtle difference between SLX and XT, XT being a bit smmother.
  • white91
    Why 9 speed? The whole 2x10 really appeals
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    white91 wrote:
    Why 9 speed? The whole 2x10 really appeals

You'll always get a huge response on this subject. Seems Shimano are tipping the balance

You should go 10 speed, I don't know why Levi said that.

Go 10 spd if starting from scratch and you you don't have many bike and want to keep them the same. New Shimano 10 offers more pull and would seem by quite a few comments here to hold up better that SRAM
  • Levi_501
    9 is a lot less finicky, more reliable and lasts longer.
  • Levi_501 wrote:

Yes, and FS is better than HT, Flats > SPDs, helmets cause more injuries than they prevent, and wiggle are the evil puppet masters behind the scenes.
  • Levi_501
    FS is better than HT

Man that would need a whole forum to debate, not just its own thread :mrgreen:
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613

Based on what?

I've been running 10 speed for more than 3 years now, chains last longer than 9 speed, no discernible difference in 'finickyness' or reliability.
  • The Rookie
    Levi_501 wrote:
    FS is better than HT

Man that would need a whole forum to debate, not just its own thread :mrgreen:
    Called the crudcatcher perhaps?
  • white91
    Where are the cheapest to get an XT groupset from, some kind of German online retailer?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Levi_501 wrote:

Just re-indexed my 10sp XT rear mech (w/ XT shifter) after nearly 6 months of riding most days. Inner is bare for the whole length of the downtube. Seems fine to me. Then again, I riding in very dry conditions.

The new SLX brakes are phenomenal! I will be putting a set on the DH bike (to replace the Elixir R's - which are very disappointing). I will also be putting all 10sp SLX/XT kit on the upcoming AM build...basically I'm sold
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • white91
    Yeah Merlin are £475 with £12 Quidco so roughly £463, very competitive. However I want the ispec mounts and Shadow+, is the ICE tech stuff worth bothering with?