Which hydraulic hose?

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    With bikes makes no difference what DOT rating you use. You can even happily mix them up.
    As long as they are DOT 3,4 and 5.1 which are all glycol based.

But it's DOT5 that's not compatible as it's silicone based.

BUT

I'm fairly sure Auriga Comps use mineral oil the same as Shimano, so Shimano fluid would be the easiest for you.

BUT double check. Never believe the first random post you read.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I double checked for you.
    They need mineral oil, not DOT fluid.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Always get something wrong! But I was answering Jimmy182's question (thread hijack!).

Tektro Auriga Comps are definitely mineral oil, I have them.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is that frowned upon on here ? Ill take note for future reference. Cheers for the help though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Hijack that causes confusion is frowned upon, had you had the same brakes it wouldn't have been a hijack and been OK....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    And some of us are quite easy to confuse.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    It's an age thing......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    What is?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Apple pie....
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Depending on the model of aurigas, you may need this screw thing which fits on to a hole in the lever(covered by a screw) in order to bleed the brakes. It allows you to attach a section of hose to the lever, and then guide any excess into a tub/bag.
    You get one that will fit in this set:

http://www.ashcycles.com/site/giant-mph-3-bleed-kit?zenid=8cbe54f10a44f68ebbf5f6428c8c9598 The bit im talking about can be seen in the picture, its the metal piece with a black o ring on it at the top of the image.

Ive had 2 sets, one that could be bled like a set of shimano deores, one that required the above part.
  • The Rookie
    Ours 'needed' that, we just mopped up the overflow.......
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    jimmy182 wrote:
    What about formula RX brakes ? Any tips or tricks for doing them ?

Formula recommend DOT 4
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg
  • simey83
    simey83 Posts: 113
    I have just replaced the hose on both brakes. Pretty painless, and the brakes work fine. Just one quick question. How tight do the bolts have to be into the caliper and the lever? The one on the hose? Firm or until they can't turn anymore? Cheers
  • The Rookie
    From MEMORY the Shimano spec is 8Nm (not much!) check the relevant tech docs, although as they are all very similar you could check Shimano's (easiest to find, just google shimano techdocs!)