Which hydraulic hose?

simey83
simey83 Posts: 113
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I want to change the hydraulic hose on my brakes from black to blue. I am going to get my LBS to do it for me as i dont want to mess it up. They told me to bring the kit and the bike down and they will replace them and bleed the brakes.

Which hose/kit do i need? is there a better kind? braided etc? I just wanna make sure i get the right stuff. All i seen was a kit in black.

My brakes are Tektro Auriga Comp.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22010

Thanks

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    There's nothing wrong with the standard Superstar Hose. http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=68&products_id=429

And you will need the appropriate fitting kit, you can get steel ones here or coloured alloy ones here. Personally I would go for the steel ones since they are cheaper and stronger, not that the alloy ones won't last but they're easier to round off when doing them up.
  • simey83
    Thanks guys.

Is this hard to do? Should i get a bleeding kit and do it myself?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've just got some from these people for my Shimano http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alero-bik ... 3cc8ed98cd not sure what will fit Tektro, their parent website gives more detauils though, been very impressed with the quality.

Get a bleed kit and DIY, dead easy on the Tektro's.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • simey83
    I've just got some from these people for my Shimano http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Alero-bik ... 3cc8ed98cd not sure what will fit Tektro, their parent website gives more detauils though, been very impressed with the quality.

Get a bleed kit and DIY, dead easy on the Tektro's.

Sweet,

So i basically drain the oil out of the old hoses, replace them with then new ones and fill again with the bleed kit?
  • The Rookie
    Yup, pretty much.

I just used a syringe and hose on the calliper bleed/fill point and then (not having the proper bottle) collected the overflow with a piece of Kitchen roll when we fitted Tektro's (Yes AC's like yours) to the lads Spesh.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • simey83
    Thanks again man,

Stuff ordered. Wish me luck :)
  • The Rookie
    Good luck!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    do superstar do a gear cable outer to match ? Had a look but cant see anywhere.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    simey83 wrote:
    Thanks again man,

Stuff ordered. Wish me luck :)

Bleeding the tektro's is easy enough, never changed the hose before though.
  • peter413
    jimmy182 wrote:

No but you can buy Shimano SP41 outer in lots of different colours now as well as there being Clarks and a few others but I would pick the Shimano stuff.
  • Anonymous
    peter413 wrote:
    jimmy182 wrote:

No but you can buy Shimano SP41 outer in lots of different colours now as well as there being Clarks and a few others but I would pick the Shimano stuff.

Cheers mate.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Hope you double checked the inner and outer diameter of the Tektro hoses, OP - they are wider than standard 5mm hoses (measured at somewhere between 5.5mm to 6mm).

That being said, I have used Hope 5mm hoses, Hope split olive with the Tektro barbed inserts (I re-use these) to fix sets of Tektro brakes. It takes a bit of effort to get the barbed inserts in, and you have to pad the hose diameter out with a bit of tape so that it fits snuggly into the plastic shroud covers.
  • Anonymous
    Just had a look on eBay and its £2.99 per 0.5 metre length ! Does that sound about right ? Where's the best place to get it from ?
  • peter413
    I get it from mtb-direct.co.uk £2.45 per metre and free shipping if you go over £5 so if you aren't getting anything else get yourself 3 metres.
  • Anonymous
    peter413 wrote:
    I get it from mtb-direct.co.uk £2.45 per metre and free shipping if you go over £5 so if you aren't getting anything else get yourself 3 metres.

You reckon 3 metres is plenty for any bike ?
  • peter413
    jimmy182 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

You reckon 3 metres is plenty for any bike ?

Sorry, forgot not everyone runs a single. Only way to truly know is to measure what's on there right now. I would think yes, was plenty to do a full outer to the rear mech and my dropper post with enough left over to replace some of the interrupted cables on my dads bike.
  • Anonymous
    Id measure what I'd got on my bike but I've not got a bike yet its in the post haha
  • simey83
    Anyone got any tips for me doing this? Do's and Dont's?

When i have changed the hose and its time to fill with oil. After i get all the air out, do i push from the caliper so oil comes out the top resevoir into the tube and then tighten or let the oil go back in a bit? hope this makes sense.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    Yes, just squirt it in at the caliper and mop up what comes out until it's devoid of air.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    simey83 wrote:
    Anyone got any tips for me doing this? Do's and Dont's?

Try and keep as much oil as possible in the caliper and lever, it'll make the brake bleed less painful.

Most brakes are just "push fluid through from caliper end" but as ever, double check the service manual.
  • The Rookie
    That is the correct technique for Auriga comps...

Make sure you allow all the air out the lever end, sometimes when putting a lot of fluid in you need to let the bubbles rise through the fluid if the lever is reasonably full.
  • Anonymous
    What about formula RX brakes ? Any tips or tricks for doing them ?
  • The Rookie
    Never had Formula's myself so won't comment....
  • Anonymous
    Is there a good and a bad type of oil to use or are they all the same ?
  • Greer_
    Well are they mineral oil or dot?
  • Anonymous
    Not a clue mate how would I find out ?
  • Greer_
    Google probably, pretty sure they'd be dot fluid though. Dot 3,4 and 5.1 are compatible (NOT 4.1). Dot 5.1 would be the best though as its boiling point is higher.
  • Anonymous
    What's the problem with 4.1? Just being nosey like.