the end !

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited January 2013 in MTB general
after 10 years of biking i have sold my beloved heckler :( to put it nicely im a bin man and 2 weeks ago i was putting a bin on and my hand slipped through the handle and dragged me up breaking my forearm and fracturing and dislocating my wrist lucky to still have it! wich resulted having a plate inserted in my forearm i just simple cant take the risk biking anymore as the first thing you do on an off is put your hands out so i think ive done the sensible thing and sold it.just guts me as ile miss trips away with the lads and miss the banter life sucks sometimes :(

Comments

• welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    It's a shame you've felt you had to give up. A friend of mine had a motorbike crash and broke both his wrists and snapped the bone in his thigh (fema?) he's got plates holding him together.

Another friend got ran over by a lorry in work and has more plates and screws in him than the 6 million dollar man. :lol:

Surely just resting got a bit and taking it easy would have been sensible, cos surely a metal plate is strong as fook. Can't you also buy wrist guards/supports?

But each to their own, you could always take up knitting :wink:
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    mr joey wrote:
    after 10 years of biking i have sold my beloved heckler :( to put it nicely im a bin man and 2 weeks ago i was putting a bin on and my hand slipped through the handle and dragged me up breaking my forearm and fracturing and dislocating my wrist lucky to still have it! wich resulted having a plate inserted in my forearm i just simple cant take the risk biking anymore as the first thing you do on an off is put your hands out so i think ive done the sensible thing and sold it.just guts me as ile miss trips away with the lads and miss the banter life sucks sometimes :(
    er no, it will heal and be just as strong
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rattyc5
    rattyc5 Posts: 84
    i too have broke my arm straight through and have a plate fitted.have no problems with it. i have also broken my neck in the past and have no problems. man up you big girls blouse! :)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My mate nearly lost both his arms in a terrible skateboarding accident. He now also has bionic arms & elbows. Seems to thrash his CF Trek Remedy around the trails with no problems. In fact the plan is for both of us to do the TP in 2014 :D
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • mr joey
    Hmm all your stories are reasuring mabey i have probaly given in too easily but the fact is the bikes gone just gonna wait and see how it heals and you never know might buy a new steed with the compo LOL but thanks with your replies
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    jesus that sounds painful!
  • mr joey
    tbh it wasnt but i think that was shock it was more painful when i went to get the dressing changed and the bandage they put on stuck solid to my arm and she peeled it off very slowly taking every hair off my arm now that did hurt :cry:
  • Its easy for the misery to set in after something like this. Dont give up! Start looking for a new bike and have this as a goal to get better! It may take 3-6 months but you can and will ride again! Take it easy!
  • bennett_346
    You could try building a bike from frame up so by the time you're done you can ride again.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    mr joey wrote:
    What?
    You'll heal in time. Bike would have been fine.
    What the hell is wrong with you?
  • mr joey
    like penguin said probaly misery setting in so used to biking or running always doing things now its frustrating trying to wipe your own @rse :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    If you're the kind of person to sell your bike because you injured yourself doing something completely unrelated - just in case you DID injure yourself on the bike some time in the future, then fankly, I'd question whether you had sufficient wits about you to ever wipe your own arris in the first place.
  • If you're the kind of person to sell your bike because you injured yourself doing something completely unrelated - just in case you DID injure yourself on the bike some time in the future, then fankly, I'd question whether you had sufficient wits about you to ever wipe your own arris in the first place.

Bit Harsh, doesn't really matter if it was related or not, its fairly certain that at some point your gonna go down on a mountain bike so fair enough to worry about it wrecking it again!

Having said that, I'm currently suffering with a wrecked shoulder due to a mountain biking incident 4 weeks ago......prob looking at a good few months till its better as i seem to have done some pretty bad muscle damage, having physio on it and need an MRI scan to check full extent of damage..........

......and i've just been out today and bought a DH bike for when i'm better :twisted:

Gotta man up in these situations.

You just gotta let it heal, get the strength back in it and get back too it!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    get a road bike
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Dartster wrote:
    Bit Harsh
    No. Not at all.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It was injury that stopped me enjoying motorbikes... Kept riding for a couple of years but it was never as good after. Though the same injury got me riding pushbikes again, so apparently I'm a moron, since I never broke a bone on the motorbike but I'm up to about 7 on pushirons. just do what feels right, and if that stops feeling right, do something else that does.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm a moron
    Yeah, we know that :lol::wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    craker wrote:
    get a road bike
    Now that IS harsh......you some sort of sadist or what!

It sounds like you were feeling a bit depressed, with some luck you'll heal nicely and then be able to get something spanking with all that compo you must be due!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craker wrote:
    get a road bike

This.

I agree that you should never have sold the MTB, but as you have done, you may as well get a roady. Good way to keep fit / get fitter and you're less likely to break bones than you would be on a MTB (although some of those races can be pretty brutal).

Then, 6 months down the line when you realize you've been a tool, and decide to get another MTB, you'll be in tip-top shape and able to enjoy it even more.
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    craker wrote:
    get a road bike

This.

I agree that you should never have sold the MTB, but as you have done, you may as well get a roady. Good way to keep fit / get fitter and you're less likely to break bones than you would be on a MTB (although some of those races can be pretty brutal).

Then, 6 months down the line when you realize you've been a tool, and decide to get another MTB, you'll be in tip-top shape and able to enjoy it even more.

+ poatato
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • mr joey
    well 4 months have passed its still abit sore but healing nicely my employers are being difficult with the liability side of things but that was expected{TW@TS} but the good news is ive bought myself a SH santacruz bullit with top spec rp23 and 180mm up front so i wont feel it as bad on my wrist lol but gonna leave it a few more months before i venture out with the lads, but made me think though there is no way in this world i can give it up,so yes probally knee jerk reaction but ive got a top bike again and will be back in the saddle soon but thanks for all your comments!
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    mr joey wrote:
    well 4 months have passed its still abit sore but healing nicely my employers are being difficult with the liability side of things but that was expected{TW@TS} but the good news is ive bought myself a SH santacruz bullit with top spec rp23 and 180mm up front so i wont feel it as bad on my wrist lol but gonna leave it a few more months before i venture out with the lads, but made me think though there is no way in this world i can give it up,so yes probally knee jerk reaction but ive got a top bike again and will be back in the saddle soon but thanks for all your comments!

That's the f****g spirit, dude!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    How did the accident even happen? In my very limited experience of bin lorries (I saw one, once) don't you have to be round the side to press the buttons before it goes up? You shouldn't even of been near the bin?

Perhaps thats why your employers (tw@ts) are reluctant to pay out?
    "Didn't hurt"
  • mr joey
    what it was is that i was emptying recycling boxes into a wheelie bin when my hand managed to slip through the handle but when you put the bin up against the lifting mechanism the sensor kicks in and it sets off automaticaly but just with my hand caught in there but what grates me is that at the end of the day ive had a serious accident at work that wasnt my fault resulting in me having a plate fitted into my arm and problems later on in life with it and a 6 inch scar and a bone that will always stick out on my wrist not to mention the trauma i went through still get flashbacks now i must be entitled to something even if they do not exept liability?????? but no when you put the bin on your not stood at the side you put it on at the back
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I injured my wrist pretty badly and to the extent that I wouldn't like to know what would happen if I injured it again, I bought a decent wrist brace and just get on with it. As my consultant said I could quite easily fall down the stairs and hurt my wrist again so there's no point in giving up doing something you enjoy.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    mr joey wrote:
    what it was is that i was emptying recycling boxes into a wheelie bin when my hand managed to slip through the handle but when you put the bin up against the lifting mechanism the sensor kicks in and it sets off automaticaly but just with my hand caught in there but what grates me is that at the end of the day ive had a serious accident at work that wasnt my fault resulting in me having a plate fitted into my arm and problems later on in life with it and a 6 inch scar and a bone that will always stick out on my wrist not to mention the trauma i went through still get flashbacks now i must be entitled to something even if they do not exept liability?????? but no when you put the bin on your not stood at the side you put it on at the back

Accidents happen, just because you're at work doesn't mean you automatically get cash.

I'm guessing the full story isn't given here and never will be, for various reasons.
  • bennett_346
    Guessing there's a lot more to it than this, but if i worked a job where i hand-placed things onto an automatic muncher machine i'd take more care where i put my hands!
  • on the viking challenge i got overtaken (yes overtaken!) by a guy with only one arm, i haven't really lived it down but he was flying round the course.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo